Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone prefer version 3 to 6?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone prefer version 3 to 6?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Anyone prefer version 3 to 6? Reply with quote

I've upgraded from version 3 to 6 recently because I couldn't get ver. 3 to work with Windows Mobile 5. They've made it very car/mobile phone oriented and I prefer the way ver. 3 worked. Anybody else feel the same? Here are my plus and minus points:

- It always defaults to the navigator view and if you don't have a GPS device turned on it's useless. I don't use a GPS device when I'm walking where I live but want to quickly find a place without having to wait for the GPS to get a fix.

- Route planning is more difficult. Doing something like planning a route to your destination from the nearest tube station is quite awkward - I now have to create temporary favourites.

- You can't use the D-pad to zoom-in and out in browse map mode while you can in navigator mode.

- You can't use the SIP when entering letters. I find Fitaly a lot faster than a qwerty layout.

- You have to install all of a country map or a group of countries (e.g. Iberia), no option to install regions.

- TomTom Home is quite intrustive.

- When adding a favourite you can't put the cursor at the start so you have the street address "automatically" suffixed to the favourite label.

+ It's better at connecting to the GPS device.

+ It's more one handed friendly.

+ You get all the maps of Europe and the UK in one package.

+ Supports cycling route planning.

Last edited by MarkH on Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm there were some good points that have been removed in the later releases but I'd have to say that on balance I prefer v6, it does all I require of it.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm...

When I first got v5 for my 4700, it had a serious bug in it and I went back to v3. I only kept on with v5 for the updated maps - v3 actually did what I wanted (which is route planning and navigation). I thought v5 was a retrograde step.

Now I am with v5 fully, I can see no reason to go to v6 - yet !!!

Alan
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just loaned a Mio P350 with iGo 2006 plus to test, I realise just how bad my TT 3 and 5 have been. I'm not sure whether to wait for iGo 2008 or get 2007 now.

iGo locks on faster, even behind an athermic windscreen or indoors, the routing is faster, optimisation of multi via points, when losing locks in tunnels position is still shown on screen. I could go on. Bye bye TT.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me that TomTom has lost interest in PDA users and have concentrated on the more porfitable mobile phone and in car PND users. The one code base has got rid of a few Windows Mobile features - SIP, copy and paste, 'right click'. It's effectively a mobile phone app ported to Windows Mobile. I suppose the mobile phone is the "lowest common denominator". I might start looking at CoPilot as an alternative.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:

iGo locks on faster, even behind an athermic windscreen or indoors, the routing is faster, optimisation of multi via points, when losing locks in tunnels position is still shown on screen. I could go on. Bye bye TT.

Locking on is a function of the GPS receiver itself and not (in general) the application. Some receivers will transmit the last valid position whilst waiting for a valid fix - with a time-stamp. Some apps can choose to ignore the fact that the sentences being transmitted are invalid and use them - giving the appearance of a faster lock. I prefer to let the app wait for valid fixes.

TomTom6 continues to display when in a tunnel - it's just that the screen is turned into monochrome to show no valid position being received by GPS. I've not used iGo in anger (a friend has a version) but are you saying that iGo is 'best guessing' your position in a tunnel based on last speed/heading?

What I will say about iGo is the mapping/routing has the same issues as TomTom6. It will try to take you down an unsurfaced 'green track' near to my home - even with the avoid unsurfaced roads selected. At least my nuvi handles this correctly. I also think the user interface is cumbersome (too many taps to get anywhere) and the main navigation display is too cluttered. It shows it's heritage of being developed by a gaming s/w house where lots of action/interaction is the norm.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some apps can choose to ignore the fact that the sentences being transmitted are invalid and use them - giving the appearance of a faster lock.
It does actually lock on faster, on the opening screen the area surrounding 'Find and Go' shows red, no lock, then turns yellow when locked onto 3 sats. poor accuracy.

When 4 or more sats. are locked it turns green and shows average or high accuracy. To get the 4 sats. and high accuracy takes less than a minute behind my athermic screen wheras TT would never lock under the same conditions and I had to wait for a lock outside my car before settng up.

Quote:
but are you saying that iGo is 'best guessing' your position in a tunnel based on last speed/heading?
Something like that. I read on the i-Go site how it does it but just had a look and can't find it again. But it appeared to work fine driving through the Medway tunnel a couple of times each way. I had planned to set a route which would take me off the sliproad towards Chatham just as you come out of the tunnel, and which TT would miss, but I had to give it back. Sad

Edited to add.

Quote:
Tunnel Mode
This new iGO My way function allows the program to continue navigating even when the GPS signal is lost, by using the last recorded speed and the planned route, until the next manoeuvre. So in tunnels or among tall buildings, the software will pinpoint your position even if the GPS unit loses the signal for several seconds.

Quote:
It will try to take you down an unsurfaced 'green track' near to my home - even with the avoid unsurfaced roads selected. At least my nuvi handles this correctly.

I never had that in the short time I used it. I never messed with his settings but I'm sure with all the various 'user' combinations most people could/should be able to get what they want re routing.
Quote:

I also think the user interface is cumbersome (too many taps to get anywhere) and the main navigation display is too cluttered.

I don't find it cumbersome although it does take a couple of extra 'taps' to get around but the routing is so fast it more tham makes up for that.

Personally I think there are more pluses than minuses and it's definitly the way i_Go for my next mapping. :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: