Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Corrupted SD card arghhhhh
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Corrupted SD card arghhhhh
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
The extra folder called "United-Kingdom-and-Republic-of-Ireland" is a bit of a mystery if it really is empty and is inside your "UK&ROI" folder. You could delete it if it worries you (and it really is empty), but it won't be doing any harm. IT ISN'T EMPTY THOUGH. IT CONTAINS THE FILES AND FOLDERS THAT OPERATE THE MAP. CAMERAS, POI'S, LIZ AND CRYSTAL ETC. WHEN I OPEN IT IT SHOWS THE MAP DETAILS AND CAMERAS ETC. THE PROBLEM ARISES WHEN I ASK THE COMPUTER TO SHOW THE CONTENTS AS THUMBNAILS OR ICONS OR LIST OR DETAILS...THAT IS WHEN IT WARNS ME AND THEN FREEZES THE PC. CLEARLY THERE IS SOME CONFLICT WITHIN THE SYSTEM AND I NEED MY YOUNGEST SON HERE TO HELP ME BECAUSE I'M GOING MAD, I TELL YOU, MAD....WELL NOT QUITE MAD, BUT A FAIRLY REASONABLE IMITATION OF MAD...

If you do as you said and just copy EVERYTHING to a new folder on your desktop (call it "TomTom new backup No1" or something), then swap sd cards and put all the contents of that folder back again (but not the folder itself), I think you'll find it works this time. DO YOU MEAN TO PASTE THE ORIGINAL SD CARD CONTENTS INTO THE PLAY.COM SD CARD, WITHOUT DELETING THE CONTENTS OF THE PLAY.COM SD CARD? THE PLAY.COM SD CARD WAS COPIED FROM THE ORIGINAL TOMTOM SD CARD WHEN IT FIRST ARRIVED AND HAS BEEN ADDED TO FROM PGPSW DOWNLOADS

I apologise for the CAPITALS but it sems easier to refer to the tips, right after them on the page. Wink Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Kingston and Sandisk are always well regarded. THANKS FOR THAT.

I bet you'll find its all fine if you go back to the original card.

One thing... be very careful of using "repair" programs!
The files you are dealing with here are not necessarily "Windows" files. The TomTom uses Linux as its core operating system, so although you can happily use Windows to move the files about, Windows itself will often not know what they do, or worse, will think they are something else!! WHEN I WAS PART WAY THROUGH THE LAST ATTEMPT, WINDOWS SAID IT COULDN'T RECOGNISE WHICH PROGRAM THE FILE CAME FROM, AND ASKED ME TO CONFIRM THAT WINDOWS HAVE A LOOK AROUND TO TRACK IT DOWN. NO SUCCESS. THAT IS WHEN I WENT TO REGCURE FOR HELP

The scariest example of that, is the TT's voice files. These use the extension ".chk" and nothing wrong with that...
But Windows uses that extension for a "recovered file fragment" (i.e. what's left when something has gone badly wrong). "Repair" programs often helpfully offer to delete all of those "useless" left-overs.
NOT a good idea.... BLIMEY, THANKS AGAIN.

jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had another look at what appears when I hover the cursor over the UK&ROI Folder. Remember that this folder is one of several, which begin with: contacts, ephem, gl, gns, home pages, itn, licenses..........
when I hover the cursor over this UK folder it shows, in red lettering, what is in it... ie: Folders: contacts, ephem, gl........... and then under these red words it shows....
Files: A&E_Hospital.bmp, A&E_Hospital.ov2.........

Further down the page is a yellow folder marked PIOs.zip

Curioser and curioser.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try
This
Got it via the Sandisk site.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'm getting hung up unnecessarily over something I thought you said earlier.
I thought you said you had a map folder called "UK&ROI" and inside that was ANOTHER folder called "United-Kingdom-and-Republic-of-Ireland" which was showing as empty. I'm not sure which is causing you the crash problem. Those names don't sound exactly right anyway.

Can you download a utility called DriveZ and use it to create a list of all the folders and files on your TT which you can post here.

Start by pointing DriveZ to the main TomTom drive, tick the options boxes for "files" and "folders" and un-tick the option to "remove extension". You should get a list similar to this:

Quote:
art
ASR
audiobooks
bin
Canary_Islands
contacts
demo
ephem
fleetecd
gns
helpme
herocraft
home images
itn
licences
logging
LoquendoTTS
microbrowser
mp3
photos
ppp
raster
schemes
screen-old
SDKFileCalls
SDKRegistry
sounds
statdata
text
TomTom HOME Install.app
TomTom-Cfg
voices
Western_Europe
zip

(The above are all FOLDERS)
-----------

antitheftw.bmp
antitheftw.bmp_old
autorun.inf
Benelux-3xxxxxx.mac
clmdata
connect2internet.db
connect2internet.so
connect2internetdb.ver
CurrentLocation.dat
CurrentMap.dat
data.chk
fm2010parameters
fmsignal
install.bif
InstallTomTomHOME.exe
libaec.so
lowbatteryw.bmp
mctx.dat
pluserror.txt
reflush.log
settings.dat
splashw.bmp
system
tomtom.ico
ttdesk.ver
ttgo.bif
TTPnPD.log
ttsystem
UK_and_IE_plus_major_roads_of_WE-xxxxxxx.mac
UserPatch.dat

(The above are all FILES)

(That is for a Go720, so yours will not be exactly the same.

THEN do the same JUST for the map folder you see in the first list ("Western_Europe" in mine)
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a Kingston 1Gb SD card from picstop last night.

https://www.picstop.co.uk/Secure-Digital-SD/Kingston-50x-Elite-Pro-Hi-Speed-Secure-Digital-%28SD%29-Card---1GB

When it arrives I shall do a download from my new Desktop Backup file, that was copied and pasted from the Device yesterday. If the new Kingston SD card works OK in the device, I'll leave it at that.

Andy, at the bottom of the list of folders you've pasted into your post, there is Western Europe. My UK&ROI folder appears like that. When I click on that folder, the contents open and any request to change the format, eg; to details from thumbnails, causes the warning and the freeze up. Does your Western Europe folder contain map, ephem folder, and other folders as well as .bmp files etc. ?

On second thoughts, it must do. When we download and unzip the speed camera database, we highlight the folders and files, copy them and then paste them into the UK&ROI, or Western Europe Folder.

My pc is having difficulties in allowing me to make choices about how I want the enclosed folders and files in my UK&ROI folder to appear, in either, list, thumbnails, details, icon, etc, format. That is when it freezes. Anybody want to buy a laptop? Rolling Eyes
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday 7 March '08:

Kingston 1GB 50X elite pro SD card arrived.

Kingston card put into card reader/writer.
Opened Latest new folder on my screen.
Copied latest folder and pasted it into new Kingston SD card.
Put new Kingston SD card into TT1XL device.
It works perfectly. (PGPSW speed cameras and voice alerts included)
I now have a backup in my PC, and one as a spare backup on a 1Gb SD card.
The original Tomtom One XL SD card will remain in the Box that the Device etc., came in.

My thanks to andy and mike for their help and advice. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: