Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Whats the weather like near you? - Flood Photos
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats the weather like near you? - Flood Photos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Whats the weather like near you? - Flood Photos Reply with quote

Click on any of the pictures to see the full size image on the host

A19 at Bentley (around DN5 0AA) near Doncaster.
A19 blocked, single file passage only via Cooke street (pumping in progress) to local area only, A19 blocked at Tollbar. No passage Arksey to Barnby Dunn.

Our thoughts are with all those affected in Bentley, Tollbar, Scawthorpe, Barnby Dunn, Fishlake and surrounding areas.
Thanks for the efforts by the emergency services, military, agencies and general public.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, hard to imagine what it's like for those affected when I have never been flooded.

Also as a Land Rover owner it's worth mentioning that a number of 4x4 Response Clubs in the areas affected (owners of 4x4's who volunteer their services when needed) have been working with the Police since the flooding began rescuing stranded householders, towing vehicles and providing their cars as patrol vehicles. Some have been working for three days straight now grabbing sleep where they can and forgoing their normal jobs to help.

It's a point to bear in mind when the next berk starts the anti 4x4 bashing!

http://www.4x4response.net/
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the South we have been lucky.

In East Kent except for Winter storms at sea we are not flooded, so lately whilst viewing the news we can only watch and feel for those flooded.

Mid to West Kent are often flooded by the Rivers Medway and Stour but so far this year as far as i'm aware they seem to be flood free.

It's interesting that a lot of these flooded areas (including Kent) are with properties built on "Flood Plain" areas.
If the Government get their way we are going to have thousands of new homes built in Ashford and the Thames Gateway, a high percentage of these are either in a "flood plain" or "liable to flood area".

If the Government entice developers to build in flood plains and then later when it all goes wrong wash their hands of the arguement, I'm not sure what the answer is!

I also heard on the news yesterday that a large amount of the country has buildings on low land so if sea levels are predicted to rise as predicted, there is a lot worse to come. Sad
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
provenjohn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No flooding here, but then it's always sunny in Devon Wink

Large contactor is busy building a new estate on a local floodplain though 8O

Perhaps there is scope to start selling Ark's on Ebay Laughing
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live near Barnsley and work right beside the M1 near Ulley reservoir.

I'm fortunate that I live on a hill so my house is OK, but I've been affected by all the road closures and power cuts at work.

The biggest surprise for me was when the guy at Meadowhall said that he was surprised that it flooded!
It's built on the floodplain between the river Don and the Canal!
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No flood on my aera, rain and sunny shine off and on all day funny weather eh, ho and hot and cold, the world much be move a inch from a earth quark somethings 8O

Ho well, time to start to built a boat house until the rest of the world be flood in the near futures. 8O

Anyone's got a space house Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the Off topic post but I thought the following observation last Tuesday is well worth mentioning.

I was travelling Home to Lincolnshire and back on Tuesday, not the best of days in that weather. M1 shut, A1M shut - this traffic jam I was stuck in for a number of hours, now the interesting bit.

Most cars around me in the jam had nav units (mostly TomTom - I was bored so took notice of the different units in the various cars), I can only assume they selected "Avoid Road Block" even set to the maximum of three miles the nav unit still put me back on the A1M BEFORE the closed point.

Avoid Part of Route is a better choice in these conditions, at the top of the first exit slip road I was the only driver to turn left, all the rest happily went straight on, no doubt back in to the jam slightly further up the road.

I quite happily negotiated a very wet Sheffield and progressed towards home, must say though I feel sorry for those caught up in the mess, and sadly it looks like there is more rain to come.

Moral to the above, check the route once you have chosen an avoid function - it might not do exactly what you want - Mike
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Sorry for the Off topic postpoint.

8O This is the "Off Topic" post! Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
mikealder wrote:
Sorry for the Off topic postpoint.

8O This is the "Off Topic" post! Confused
Exactly - My post is GPS related and therefore Off Topic for this forum section Laughing - Mike
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Indeed, hard to imagine what it's like for those affected when I have never been flooded.

My in-laws were flooded a couple of years ago and the problem is not so much the water, but the mess it leaves behind...all the mud and dirt and everything is stained.

We had a sudden downpour and all the roads flooded within a matter of minutes and caught a few people by surprise - even at 5am.

A Ford Transit was stuck under a railway bridge and the water came right up to the roof...the fire brigade gave the driver and passenger a choice of jumping and swimming or sitting on the van roof until the water dies down (in this instance, jumping and swimming would have been safe because the road dips either side of the railway bridge and there was no current - just standing water)

It's the cleaning up, mopping out, redecorating and replacing furniture that's soul destroying but trying to get the insurance company to do anything was nigh on impossible - they didn't send an assessor out for over a week and then when it came to paying out...
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, Bentley levels maybe an inch or two lower than yesterday despite upgraded pumping with quoted capacity of 8,000 litres/min. Rose yesterday evening, and Bentley park was open as a through way to local traffic. Two way traffic along Cooke Street at the moment but the water has risen since I passed through at 09:30. Roads closed as previously posted. Not raining at the moment but more forecast.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nivek22 wrote:
I live near Barnsley and work right beside the M1 near Ulley reservoir.

What's the latest on the reservoir, i haven't seen it in the recent news.

Have they secured the moving bank, or are local's still living with the risk it might go.
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
What's the latest on the reservoir

I think that all the evacuating, road closures and pumping water out was a knee jerk reaction.

All that happened was the overflow that runs diagonally across the front of the dam, washed away some of the topsoil. The 'hole' was slowly getting bigger and removing ballast from against the wall, but the minuscule amount of water that they pumped out in comparison to the total weight, would have been like removing a fly off your back when on a diet.

As soon as the rain eased off they filled the 'hole' with sand - dam fixed.

When they stopped pumping the water out Catcliffe dried out pretty quickly, but the problem has moved on to the north of Doncaster. The Don is tidal and the water only drains back in when the level allows.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading The Daily Mail, i see that in the Hull area there are aprox 30,000 people homeless, 25% of these may not be insured, many have been told that it could take upto a year to return back to their homes.

As these people haven't the time to go on their computers to tell us how bad it is, assuming the computer might have been lost as well, or nowhere to plug it in, I just wondered if anyone knew a friend or family involved.
Is anyone able to give us an insight of how bad it is and how they manage, particulary if they have children and not insured.
bettyboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the video on sky news about that poor lad who got his foot stuck in a drain and couldnt be rescued. His dad blamed the rescue services but it must have been awful for them to be holding his head above water and then watching him drown.

I dont know what more they could have done, although cutting his leg off was an option, how quickly do they think about things like that when your in that situation.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: