Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - missing safety camera icons, messages, everything!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

missing safety camera icons, messages, everything!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deevee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: missing safety camera icons, messages, everything! Reply with quote

New to all this and I'm sure with a few more hours searching I'd find an answer but this might just save my sanity.
I am running CoPilot 6 and until recently received the standard safety camera warnings. Then without warning nothing. No icons, no messages and nothing even in the POI relating to cameras.
I downloaded the PGPS database, followed instructions to unzip, copied and tried to paste to save and got an error message stating that 'access is denied, make sure your device has sufficient memory, the file is not read only and you have permission to copy the file'
I have previously increased the size of the storage card, (I think to 1Gb)
The save folder is showing nothing in it. I can paste to other folders but I dare say that doesnt help.
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong
Sad Thanks
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome, Welcome

Have you checked that the card is not locked?

Mike
deevee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the card is not locked. I have managed a sort of fix by putting the card into a reader making a new Save folder and pasting the files into it. (Suggests the old save folder is corrupted.) I was then able to run the CoPilot update.
I then followed the PGPS instructions and copied and pasted the PGPS database into the new Save file. This has resulted in each file appearing in its own custom window?? Confused
I do now get camera alerts but not exactly as before. The icon doesnt stay up very long and I now get POI alerts with Gatso and Red light cameras on the blue screen.
Am I conflicting the CoPilot safety cameras with the PGPS ones?

As an aside, when driving in Central London for example I can get the 'safety camera ahead' warning repeated 6, sometimes 10 times in a row. Presumably this is because the software doesnt recognise your direction of travel and gives them all to you within a prescribed area.
It does your head in though. :x Is there a way to overcome this?
Thanks
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the save folder you should have had 8 or 9 'ao' files. They would have been very small on installation, but once POI's are added they get larger.

When you add POI's (pgpsw cameras in this case) you copy the ov2 and bmp files into the save folder, then when you restart CoPilot these files get integrated into new ao files that overwrite the originals. You should then end up with the cameras listed in the custom menu, by speed and type if you downloaded the speed zoned db for example.

I'm slightly confused why your save folder had nothing in it.

I turned the safetycameras and safety alerts off on my wifes unit and I get only the PGPSW ones. Unfortunately she has now left the building and taken her phone with her so I cannot double check settings for now.

The distances you can set for warnings are not very flexible, I think about 500 yards was the minimum, my memory maybe wrong. That is why you would get numerous warnings especially in London, there is an option to only warn on route though.

Mike
deevee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, my save folder wasnt empty the contents are just not visible in the Orbit, nor could I paste into it, not even in the card reader.

Curiously just had another look at it to find the files I pasted have all vanished so I unzipped and Pasted again only to get an error message first that I had insufficient memory then it hung. Restarting I got the message that my new files were corrupted and do I want to delete them. Obviously I had no choice so when I look at the Save folder now it looks like this:

aoCatTyp.dat
aoPoi.dat
aoPoi.enc
aoPoi.fts
aoPoi.gdx
aoPoi.nms
aoPoi.tdx
aoPoi.tst
aoTyp.dat
favorite.lst
gpssave.dat
gpstrip.trp
Jul07Trip.log
November2005.txt
pk.txt
release,txt
stopfavs.1st
userstop.dat
usertrip.dat
_Need_Help.htm
Licence.txt

I had pasted the 65 objects from the file which have now all gone!

It doesnt help when the help file included in the zip is out of date.
When you know what you are doing it might not matter but when youre a beginner trying to make head and tail of all this, and spending hours doing so, I'm surprised it hasnt gone out the window yet.
Twisted Evil
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds a bit like this problem

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=56921&highlight=

What I did was copy and paste the files into the save directory, emailed them back and all was ok, would you like to try the same. If you zip the contents of your save file up and email them to me (address sent by PM) I can have a go for you, nothing to lose ?

Mike
deevee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like a similar problem so have sent zipped Save file by em.
I'm also running an XDA Orbit with 48.05Mb memory
Upgraded storage card to 1Gb, in use 215Mb
Thanks for your help Mike.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zip file returned

Mike
deevee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the file Mike, loaded it onto the card (had to do this via a reader as it wouldnt do it in the orbit) and tried it out this evening. I now have PGPS camera alerts but the co pilot ones and icons have gone.

The PGPS alerts come up as Points of interest as text on a blue background, there are no icons which is pretty distracting as you have to read the text rather than glimpse the icon. Is this right ?
Also is it not possible to lose the "Point of Interest Ahead" for a simple chime
or am I expecting too much.......
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CoPilot ones won't show up if they are turned off in safety alerts and POI warnings. I find it too confusing on my wifes' unit to have both.

The alert method is not the best, I'll try the safetycamera method this weekend if I get time and report back.

Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: