Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigating a route defined as an itinerary
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigating a route defined as an itinerary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Navigating a route defined as an itinerary Reply with quote

I'm looking for advice on how best to use the Itinerary feature in my GO Classic (with v6 firmware) when doing deliveries to multiple drop-off points.

[I realise it can't optimise the drop order - but I can do that in Autoroute, and then input the postcodes in the right order]

The thing is that each drop point can be defined either as a destination or as a waypoint. Using waypoints seems easier to navigate, since it's just one continuous route - but it doesn't then tell you that you've actually reached the next drop point. If you use individual destinations, it tells you when you have reached each one - but you then have some work to do to tell it to navigate to the next one.

Is this about right, or am I missing something? If using destinations, what's the most painless way (least screen presses) to tell it to go to the next one? The on-line user manual tells you how to create itineraries, but doesn't seem to say much about how to USE them!.

TIA!

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use Autoroute you can 'optimise' then save the files and convert it to a TT .itn using THIS Programme.

Once you have transferred the .itn you will notice your Home/Start address is top of the list, it's best to delete this or TT will try to naviagate from Home/Start to Home/Start.

Once you have visited one of the 'Destinations' you have to manually tell it to visit the next.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the same Autoroute File you could also create a POI category of the locations. Use something like POIConverter.

Load this into the Map Folder and set up Warn When Near to alert you when you get within, say 400 yards.

If you use them as Waypoints, you will then get an audible warning as you approach.

When using Postcodes be careful as some of the locations can be off-road, and TT might treat these as Not Visited.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's about right.

If its a waypoint you seamlessly move over the top of it and on to the next one. The only indication is a little yellow flag on the screen but I wouldn't advise staring at the screen waiting to see it go by.

The only option really is to make each drop a destination but remember, if you are using post codes the 'actual' drop may be a little way down the road so you'll need to go into the itinerary screen and tell it to 'mark as visited' otherwise it will keep trying to navigate you back to that point.

I've used this feature quite a bit and have found it very useful but it all depends on how close you are to the actual drop. Lots of times I go into the itinerary screen and the latest point is 'greyed out' as visited. When I come out of the screen it then plots a course to the next drop.

At least some of the time saved by driving up and down the road looking for an address, without a satnav, can be used to prod the screen a few times?
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BodgerBaz wrote:
The only option really is to make each drop a destination but remember, if you are using post codes the 'actual' drop may be a little way down the road so you'll need to go into the itinerary screen and tell it to 'mark as visited' otherwise it will keep trying to navigate you back to that point.

I've used this feature quite a bit and have found it very useful but it all depends on how close you are to the actual drop. Lots of times I go into the itinerary screen and the latest point is 'greyed out' as visited. When I come out of the screen it then plots a course to the next drop.

I mentioned postcodes simply as the easiest way of entering an address. I do, of course, add house number where appropriate - but even that isn't an exact science!

I'd rather hoped that, when navigating an itinerary, the stupid thing would KNOW that's what it was doing so that - after each "You have reached your destination" it would automatically offer to navigate to the next destination - just requiring one screen press to confirm. Seemingly that's too much to ask for!

So, what's the least number of screen presses required to tell it to go to the next destination?

[You can't even experiment in Demo mode because, as soon as it gets to the first destination, it promptly returns to the start!]

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
So, what's the least number of screen presses required to tell it to go to the next destination?
I make it nine (9). 8O

rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
rkm_hm wrote:
I make it nine (9). 8O

Would you care to spell them out?

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the itinerary feature was bolted on at the last minute and has never been properly finished.
It even looks and feels different to the rest of the operating system.

Come on TomTom, it's way overdue for an overhaul!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Tap Screen for Main Menu.
2. Next Page, for Itinerary Planning.
3. Tap Current Destination.
4. Mark 'visited'
5. Tap Done.
6. Tap YES to Navigate to Next
7. Tap Fastest Route
8. Tap Done.
9. Tap Done.

Only 8 taps if Fastest Route is already selected. Smile

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, eh.

Re the waypoints or destinations discussion, have you also noticed that the TT only "goes near" some waypoints.
For example, if your route includes a waypoint that is up a side road, and the rest of the route involves turning round and going back onto the main road, the TT will start shouting "Turn around when possible" as soon as you enter the side road, even if your waypoint is still a mile away!
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
I still think the itinerary feature was bolted on at the last minute and has never been properly finished.
It even looks and feels different to the rest of the operating system.

Come on TomTom, it's way overdue for an overhaul!

Agreed! Seeing all the the steps listed by Oldboy in the next post, it's actually even a lot worse than I had feared!

When an itinerary consists of waypoints rather than destinations, it works out the whole route in one go. Why on earth can't it do the same when using destinations - instead of having to calculate each segment separately?

I discovered this morning that Advanced A to B route planning isn't too clever either. You can do a route ok from A to B, but if you then ask for an alternative route, blow me if it doesn't give you one from your CURRENT location to B rather than from A to B! Has anyone else found this?

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, A-B routing only works when you tap "Details" after it has calculated the route (so you can view it as text, browse it on the map, do an animated demo etc.).
As soon as you tap "Done" (which you need to do to get back to the normal menu pages) the normal GPS positioning kicks in and it will try to recalculate from your present location instead.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Crap, eh.

Re the waypoints or destinations discussion, have you also noticed that the TT only "goes near" some waypoints.
For example, if your route includes a waypoint that is up a side road, and the rest of the route involves turning round and going back onto the main road, the TT will start shouting "Turn around when possible" as soon as you enter the side road, even if your waypoint is still a mile away!
It did even worse than that on me the other day. I was in Bedford and decided to visit the little village of Pavenham where I lived in a 300 year old little cottage for a couple of years some 45 years ago, so I set itinerary to go via several places including that one. TT actually bypassed it completely!! I've got used to it doing the regular turn around shout, but on this occasion it never even turned onto a road approaching the village. I stopped and re navigated to destination and it took me 4 miles to get there! Not a lot of use if you had a multi drop list itinerary.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: