Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POIs out of position
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POIs out of position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chillfx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: POIs out of position Reply with quote

I have installed PgpsWorld pois and on my travels have noticed many of the symbols are way off position some as much as 2 tenths of a mile , This wories me very much as it makes we wonder how accurate are your speed camera positions. Any views on this would be greatly apreciated.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the map on the download page you can see exactly how accurate they are.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chillfx,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

The PocketGPSWorld camera database is accurate. This is because there are a number of verifying techniques that MaFt (our Database Administrator) uses, not least is that of people who are "trusted" verifiers. If you see a site that is incorrect then please report it. If you see a new fixed site then if you are the first to report it you will get life time subscription to the camera database.

The PocketGPSWorld POIs are often created by a single person for the whole of the country. For example, I created the Land Rover Dealership POI. Now, I haven’t visited every single dealership in the country (there’re over 100), instead I took information from the Land Rover website and each individual dealer’s website and that gives me a good idea where each site is. Unfortunately a few may be incorrect due to inaccurate data.

If you find any POIs that are incorrect then please send in updates.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also many POIs are generated from long lists of Post Codes so they only give a rough idea of their location.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly these errors are down to the POI's position having been generated by postcode. This is in some but not all lists.
If you think the PGPSW ones are bad, you should see the errors on the built-in TomTom POIs!!
chillfx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah fair do`s i must say though im using a garmin c510 and allthough there are alot of poi sites missing Ie: Not all morrisons are shown yet the petrol stations are they are exactly where there shown yet overlay pocketGPS Pois and the same morrisons is placed a quater mile away and the atms the same in the opposite direction sat on a motorway, Iv been through leeds & manchester many times and so many or the pois there are so far out id need a week to report them all surely postcodes arnt that bad are they. Anyway understand cameras are better checked & alot of the POIs are ok its just a pain when u want a place and your taken two or three streets away and all you see is fields or houses when u get there. Thanks for feedback all
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not necessarily the Postcodes that are at fault. A lot of the data supplied by the companies themselves is either obsolete or just plain not accurate enough. Rolling Eyes

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
leerichards
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working through the POI database for my home location and I would encourage other readers to do the same for their own home town areas. I'm lucky that Google Maps provide high resolution images for much of the north east of England so getting POI's accurate is a doddle. There are lots of them though so it's a massive ongoing task and not something that will be solved overnight.

Lee

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: