Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie needs help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie needs help
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
Mike seems sure the PDA/Phone option works well, in which case I would go for that. With a Bluetooth GPS reciever perminantly powered through your ignition.
Not just "sure"

I know this option works as I have been using it for the last 9 months, its a great combination (Artemis P3300/ T-Mobile Compact C-III).

If you go for the Artemis based device I mentioned above you don't even need the BT GPS unit as the phone has the GPS receiver built in - so its a simple single power connection to the phone that is needed, grab a Brodit active mount for the Phone and you simply place it in the holder, it charges while being used to provide navigation and phone capability.
I have used PDA based phones for a few years now, the early ones from O2 were nothing short of POOR (read into that what you want - but I cannot put down my real feelings) - the newer HTC based devices are considerably better - well worth a coat of looking at.

If you really want to push the boat out try the Ameo, it has a larger screen than any other phone or TomTom device, not practical as a phone though, but great for mobile use in the car and hotel etc. it all depends on what you want from the device at the end of the day - Mike
coolerbob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "through your ignition", do you mean the car's built in cigerette lighter?

Problem is, it's not the stationary speed cameras that ever get me. It's the mobile ones!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need power to the devices when they are in use, so an Ignition fed supply is best (it saves draining the car battery over a long unused period).

If you want to go the PDA plus external BT GPS route then make sure it has a hardware Power On/ Off switch (not all do this - Holux GPSlim236 is an example that does include the true hardware switch).

I would still go for the PDA with integral GPS or PDA based phone with integral GPS, as either way its less hardware to carry about, and either option can simply plug into the ciggy socket for power whilst moving in the car - Mike
CliffEdge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my GPS experiences a few years ago with a Garmin 305??? receiver in its own cradle, connected to a palm pda, in its own cradle, both connected to the lighter socket, with wires everywhere..... and a phone, in a cradle. It was a good job it was accurate as I couldn't see out the windscreen!!!
I longed for true integration, & the day when it didn't have to rewire the car every trip.
I played with lots of different units, recievers, maps, phones, mp3 players since, but the one thing that's shone through, is that the best phone is a stand alone, the best GPS is a standalone, the best screen resolution is on a pda etc etc..... all in ones are compromises.
I currently use a Sony K800i phone, a Garmin 660 (which will happily talk to each other), an ageing, but reliable palm T3, & a JVC Exad head unit & 200w amps in the boot, which link to my mp3 /video player. I still havn't found a single unit which does all of these as well..... and yes I'm back to stripping down the car each night... progress!!!
I did buy a slim wall safe & bolted it into the boot, which does buy some piece of mind when in town, & not wanting to walk around like a branch of Comet.
coolerbob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CliffEdge wrote:

I currently use a Sony K800i phone, a Garmin 660 (which will happily talk to each other), an ageing, but reliable palm T3, & a JVC Exad head unit & 200w amps in the boot, which link to my mp3 /video player. I still havn't found a single unit which does all of these as well

Thanks CliffEdge,
My gutt fealing says to go down the same route as you.
I looked all those different bits of technology up on google (cause I'm a bit ignorant)
Tell me, if you were to buy a SatNav unit now, which one would you go for?
CliffEdge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sat Nav is a Garmin Nuvi 660. I upgraded from a Road Angel Navigater 6000 which was terrible, & a waste of £250 at the time. I'm really impressed with the Nuvi.... although it is one of the more expensive units at £310. If you go down that route, I'd recommend getting it from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk as their delivery & after sales (replacement) is excellent.... & a good price too. It all depends on your budget, but I wasted money on a "cheaper" at the time unit, & regreted it.
coolerbob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CliffEdge wrote:
If you go down that route, I'd recommend getting it from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk as their delivery & after sales (replacement) is excellent.... & a good price too.

Tried using globalpositioningsystems.co.uk before.
It really annoys me that you can't do a like-for-like comparison on that site.
They don't display the features in the same way. So it's not easy to compare the Navman N60i with the Garmin Nuvi 660 fpr example.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolerbob wrote:
Stargate2006 wrote:
coolerbob wrote:

I've seent the top-of-range navman go for over £900 Confused

Which one is that of Navman gps unit of over £900.00 the top of the range. 8O

Do you have the website link for this :P

Err... em... yes, on this website!:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/navman-icn-650.php

paragraph 3

Ah, yes -- they used to be that expensive. Early portable models sold for 2000 - 3000 USD. Not any more.
coolerbob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i was to go on holiday to canada, south africa or america... could i buy maps for those areas?

Also, I've decided on the Navman (just not sure which one yet). I dont want to attach mine to the window. Can you use those suction cups to attach them to the dashboard?
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navman wouldn't be my first choice with the recent ups and downs of the parent company and sale/purchase. However, the products are good and brand is strong so could be around for a while. Personally I have taken a shine to the Garmin Nuvi.

As for brackets for dash mount, a crowd called Brodit do a very nice range. When deciding what unit to purchase, check if they do a bracket for the device and your car. There system is 2 parts - one for your make and model of car and one for the PDA/PND/Phone you want to mount.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: