Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - T-Mobile uk release uk rom update for MDA Compact III
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

T-Mobile uk release uk rom update for MDA Compact III
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: T-Mobile uk release uk rom update for MDA Compact III Reply with quote

over the last week or so T-Mobile uk have quietly released a ROM update for the MDA Compact 3 this follows O2 UK's updat a few months ago
the upside of this is that you can now benefit from this upgrad whitch is free.

the down side to this is that unless you have recnly syncronized or backed up your device (via Activesyn or Windows Mobile Device Centre )you will loose all the data on.

any one using copilot 6 or copilot 7 will need to deactiveate the application at http://activate.alk.com/ALKLicense/web/ALKDeactivation.aspx

Once deactivated you will be able to install the you copilot application again

I have done this to both my own and Teady_bears compact3 and both units are running fine also one main advantage to this update is you will be able to install an update separatly to you device that should enable sd cards upto 8gb to be use ( note i havent tried this yet so im not sure what size card you will be able to use) . the cab file installation may require a hard reset so it it would be wise to install it after the update but before puttting any data on the device this is available from xda-developers.com you will have to serch for it though
there forum.

here is the link for the wm6 T-Mobile MDA Compact 3

this update is available

here

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: T-Mobile uk release uk rom update for MDA Compact III Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:

any one using copilot 6 or copilot 7 will need to deactiveate the application at http://activate.alk.com/ALKLicense/web/ALKDeactivation.aspx

you can deactivate CP7 within the software itself:

menu / settings / (next) / (next) / licensing / deactivate

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had no problems with this ROM upgrade and have been using it for a few days, not much difference to be honest but the SDHC support (via a plug in CAB file is very handy, I will be picking up a 6GB card on Friday/ Saturday to try this bit out) - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I have had no problems with this ROM upgrade and have been using it for a few days, not much difference to be honest but the SDHC support (via a plug in CAB file is very handy, I will be picking up a 6GB card on Friday/ Saturday to try this bit out) - Mike

so, is it worth upgrading if i never plan on sticking an hdsd card in it?!

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real differences in terms of usability other than you get some anti virus software (why?) so I guess not, the responsiveness of the device is much better, but then again it is clean with none of the rubbish loading it down that I had installed prior to the upgrade.

The big issue with upgrading this ROM seems to be software authentication, Co-Pilot seem to have it covered but TomTom and Route 66 both have issues with the TTN6 device codes once upgraded so be aware of this potential problem, Route 66 supports WM6 according to their web site so its not an issue, TomTom on the other hand do not support WM6 currently so tread carefully, if it isn’t broke don't fix it applies here - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

took the plunge Smile

no problems, copilot deactivated and reactivated no problems.

does seem faster especially with regards to file browsing.

MaFt
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING

Took the plunge with this yesterday evening put all my software back on my phone and today could not retrieve my voicemail.
Rang T-Mobile support and spoke to a techie who, when I told him I had upgraded to WM6 told me that he didn't hear that as T-Mobile UK did NOT support the upgrade.

Told him that I was not happy as I had downloaded it from their website and he told me that it was going to be removed and he would be speaking to his manager tomorrow to see what can be done.

theripper Crying or Very sad
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmobile dont support it yet they create the rom with their branding and distribute it via a tmobile-copyrighted site?!

my voicemail works fine - had one earlier! i initially thought my data connection was messed up but i had set up email to use the wrong connection (don't ask...!)

MaFt
pilk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: t-mobile mda vario rom update Reply with quote

i too have just updated my mda vario (slow version!) and it appears now that it cannot connect to my tomtom ONE XL via bluetooth. the bluetooth works on the phone with other gadgets, and i presume the tomtom hasn't changed. so i conclude that the rom update has created a virtual 'new phone' for the tomtom. the rom update has an improved stereo bluetooth 'stack' on it, as there was always a problem with the older roms that they wouldn't drive stereo headphones. it now does that, but has lost my tomtom! could it be that i somehow need to wipe off all traces of my original phone from my tomtom and try to reconnect it form scratch? i've run the flash clear utility, but can't find anywhere to 'remove a phone' on my tomtom.
hmm...... i've asked tomtom about this, but no reply so far......
i did download the new w europe map version 7xx which just managed to cram itself onto my tomtom after i had lightened the ship by jettisoning any unnecessary items, such as all the voices except for Jane, all itineraries, etc etc. does making a new bluetooth connection involve much memory space?
'Lost at sea!'
Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DUN profile is missing from the BT stack on the phone, go to This Page and download the CAB file, put it straight on to the device's memory card then use File Explorer on the MDA to locate the CAB file, tap it to start the installation - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The DUN profile is missing from the BT stack on the phone, go to This Page and download the CAB file, put it straight on to the device's memory card then use File Explorer on the MDA to locate the CAB file, tap it to start the installation - Mike

cheers mike Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... says it cant be installed as it's not got a signed certificate or something...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just answer YES when it asks about installing and it will work, I have just tried downloading the file again, puting it on the C-III and running the CAB from File Explorer on the device and it installed fine, I think we are both running the same WM6 ROM and Pointui?? - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didn't get an option for yes!! tried again and it went fine...

MaFt
pilk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: mda vario Reply with quote

i tried the wm6 dun download myself, even tho i only have wm5 but it didn't work. any further suggestions? and i'm still waiting for tomtom to reply.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: