Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - One Law for the Police, £60 and Three Points for Us?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

One Law for the Police, £60 and Three Points for Us?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
After all, you wouldn't advocate snipers shooting live targets for practice, in order to hone and maintain their skills, would you?
Not normally, but please don't tempt me by adding the words "black VW and Audi drivers" between the words "live" and "targets"! Perhaps I should add, this means "Drivers of black VWs and Audis" in case any PCs (other then Tommo) are listening.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:
...and are you guys who disagree with 999tommo saying that any criminal who drives off above the legal speed limit of 70mph should just be allowed to get away?

Has anyone actually said this or are you making it up?

In a live chase, use the skills they have learned and/or been taught. For practice, used controlled environments or simulators.

After all, you wouldn't advocate snipers shooting live targets for practice, in order to hone and maintain their skills, would you?

I don't mean to single you out Tim, but you are one of the many who want to have their cake and eat it too. Everyone wants the Police to do a good job in catching car theives, joy riders etc, but are hyper critical at Police who need to keep practicing in orcer to avoid losing the skills they have achieved.

Using our skills in a live chase, but otherwise use a simulator ? What a lot of tosh. Why don't YOU try virtually riding your bike and see how good that is at doing anything moderately worthwhile.

I'm not saying Police should do as they please, I am saying that high speed training is necessary and cannot be achieved off road, unless they give us F1 cars to practice with (which they won't). Even if they did, that would be as realistic as a simulator, since their are no road hazards present.

We have to be seen to be doing the right thing at all times, but we can't please everyone all of the time. Advanced drivers are taught to anticipate risk, read bends, paying particular attention to a system which they drive to. If you ever get the chance to go out in a high performance car with a Police Advanced Driving Instructor, I suggest you take it. It would really open your eyes to what can be achieved safely.

Anyway. I'm probably fighting a losing battle here, but that's how I feel and I won't change my opinion. I have the benefit of being a non-Police trained driver once upon a time and now a Class 1 advanced driver, so I feel that I am in a position to give a balanced opinion.

Over to you.....

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, this topic has been going for several months now and it's time to bring it to a close. I reckon Tommo has responded very reasonably throughout, and is one person who is truly qualified to comment, on the grounds that he's "one of them".

Can we please drop it now? It's not going anywhere except that it could very easily start to go wrong.

Please.

Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Can we please drop it now?
Please.

No. I'll respond tomorrow.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have passed 68 by then - is it really worth it?

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an ex-Police Officer and Class 1 Driver/Rider I have my own opinions but have chosen not to get involved in this until now.

Whilst everyone is entitled to their own opinion, the rights and wrongs of such matters lie at the end of the day with the individual forces and their operational procedures and training. It is they that must decide if such high speed training is necessary and were I a serving officer nowadays I would be seeking clarification on what was permitted.

Rather than have this turn into an endless to and fro argument between the for's and against's with 999tommo stuck in the middle I suggest we end it here.

Post now locked.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: