Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ZyCast SG-289 Bluetooth GPS with LCD Display And Datalogger
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ZyCast SG-289 Bluetooth GPS with LCD Display And Datalogger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmac wrote:
Is that an either or option as opposed to being able to log single point whilst in continious tracking mode ie I wish to geotag photo position whilst on car journey that I wish to record for openstreets project

It's either or but you wouldn't need to individually Geotag in continuous mode. Most Geotag software would read the continuous tracklog and mach the photo to the closest position at the time the photo was taken.
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm dual option would be handy especially for tagging start/end portions of dual carriage for openstreets recording.
I wonder then if wintec WBT 201 would offer better choice, anyone used one in anger?
As an aside suprised that pocketgps not encouraging participation in
http://www.openstreetmap.org/ or have I missed it in the past?
Cheers
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of us are evaluating OpenStreetMap and have mentioned it many times in the past. Hopefully we'll find some time to author a full article on this excellent project Smile
SteveCoast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Cool Reply with quote

If you want any help just email me :-)
anarchi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I like the review and I have been interested in the comments and discussion. I have had an SG-289 for a few weeks now and I am having big problems with reliability -- specifically with the log file being written to the SD card. On at least 3 occasions, I have found that, although the SD card has a correctly dated text file, it is blank. On other occasions, the text file has gaps where there was, presumably, either no fix (although most of the trips were out of doors and under open skies) or nothing was written to the card.

Another problem is that the SG-289 won't link to my computers (Windows Vista and Mac OSX). With Bluetooth I get most of the way through the set up then everything just grinds to a halt, or the set up completes, but no application can connect to the device. With the USB cable the device comes up as 'unknown USB device' and no application can connect to it.

I have to also add to these problems the utter lack of any kind of support for the device anywhere.

Overall, I would say that the SG-289 is a nice try, but it doesn't seem to be quite ready for the real world.

Alasdair[/i]
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I've connected via BT to two Mac's, a Vista PC, a UMPC and a PocketPC and all have connected without issues.

Perhaps you have a faulty unit? Also have you tried any other SD cards?
anarchi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Well I've just spent another fruitless half hour trying to connect to Mac OSX and to Vista via Bluetooth (it sometimes almost seems to connect, but no gps applications can see it) and to an XP via USB ('a USB device has malfuntioned…').

I haven't tried a different SD card, as it does actually write to the card I have, but unreliably. I have a 128MB SD card in another device, so I'll swap them for a few days and see what happens.

Do Zycast reply to e-mails?

Alasdair
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anarchi wrote:
Do Zycast reply to e-mails?

I must admit I never got a reply but this is a frequent problem with the smaller Taiwanese manufacturers. One of the reasons to buy through a reputable dealer, certainly here in the UK it is the retailers responsibility to provide warranty support.
barneyboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Failure to Pair Reply with quote

I have receently purchase the SG-289 and have had had no success in trying to link the unit to my Notebook. The device is recognised but the pairing is always unsuccessful. I currently run a Dell Notebook with Toshiba Stack Bluetooth software and have tried latest drivers. I have tried it with other Notebooks with similar failure. It does however appear to pair with my Dell PDA.

I have spoken with the supplier GPS for Less and they have been very helpful but acknowlegde that this has been a problem that they have discussed previously with the manufacturer. The manufacturer sugests that it relates to the fact the comminuication is completed utilising Version 2 Bluetooth and mine (as I am sure many others) is Version 1.2. They are unable to offer any further suggestions other than a full refund. Has anybody had similar problems and can anybody offer some suggestions please before I finally return the unit to the supplier.
anarchi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, for the first time, just managed to get my SG-289 to pair via bluetooth with a Mac using a D-Link (DBT-120) dongle. But it still won't complete pairing with any of my other (newer) computers.

Can you get your Toshiba to recognise the SG-289 via the USB cable -- mine comes up as a damaged device.

I bought the SG-289 as I was unhappy with the sensitivity of the Navi-GPS (aka GT-11, aka Triptracker) that I had been using. The Navi-GPS does everything I want and the support from LocoSys and Amaryllo (firmware updates, etc.) is good, but it can't reliably get a fix even in an open field on a sunny day (very frustrating when you download the log file and find bits missing throughout the day).

The SG-289 is so much more sensitive, but is unreliable in other ways (no manufacturer support whatsoever and it also, for no apparent reason, misses out bits in the log file).
Naga
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also having similar problems to others:

Battery would not charge but just showed flashing light (charging suspended). GPSforLess replaced the unit and made a comment that the unit is very fussy about the power supply unit and cable. They automatically replace these components with ones that usually (although in this case did not) solve that problem when they send the unit out to the customer.

I also have been unable to pair the unit with my laptop. Blue Tooth recognises the unit but pairing fails, although again I can pair with my HP4700 PDA.

When set on Auto, no track is recoreded when walking, although it has (once) when driving in a car.

Finally, the non-NMEA compliant end of line character (line return rather than the NMEA standard Carriage Return/LineFeed) means I cannot load the track log into any of the software I use such as Navio.

We desparately need a firmware upgrade to resolve these issues. Is there any sign of this on the horizon?

I think this unit would be great IF these problems could be solved, BUT think twice before you buy!!!
gregjsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received mine a few weeks ago. I plugged it in to charge over night and still had the battery light blinking. It should have been charged.

I found the battery connectors in the device itself did not stick out far enough to make contact with the battery. I bend the connectors out a little bit and have had no problems since.
anarchi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just received a second SG-289 -- Pete from GPS for less suggested returning the first. I can confirm that this one doesn't connect via Bluetooth either.

Actually both connected fine via Bluetooth 1.1 (D-Link dongle) but neither will connect to Bluetooth 2.0 (built in on a MacBook Pro). This is the opposite of what the manufacturer claims.
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

289 arrived in post today, unfortunately whilst my Nokia N800 can see the 289 its unable to pair via bluetooth.
Anyone had any joy with BT connection with N800 or is this another to add to list that has problems in pairing with 289.
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on my previous post.
Tried BT connection with xp laptop and again whilst laptop could see 289 did not get as far as being offered entry for passcode.
Tried with Ipaq 2210 it never even saw 289 via BT.
Tried USB connection with XP laptop, installed supplied usb driver but once again unable to make usb connection.
To date this looks like the biggest pile of **** I have ever purchased, OK it gets a fast fix but everything else has been a disaster.
Is it just recent purchases that are failing??

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: