Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 21% saying their father drove too fast.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

21% saying their father drove too fast.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Nah! Too tired at the moment...
...Maybe when I come back to this thread tomorrow I'll be feeling more confrontational!

I think I heard a comunal sigh of relief there, almost knocked the planet off it's axis. Laughing

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Quote:
Interesting.........no doubt one or two contributions will be forthcoming from the recently closed down 'Mobile Database' thread.

I expect that too, but hope it doesn't get so offensive.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
Quote:
I have noticed on my journeys that women tend to take more unnecessary risks while driving, and I think they are oblivious to those risks, whilst males may take the same risks at times, they appear to calculate them first.

This is of course only in my opinion.

Actually classy56, for probably the first time ever, i totally agree with you.

I also feel that men seem to have a lot more confidence and think they can calculate themselves out of problems whilst still driving, where women tend to panic and have no idea what to do next.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
Quote:
oh well done GJF. Looks like you've reopened the ever on going him/her driving debate.

Quick get the kleenex out!

I wager at least 9 pages of posts before it is locked.

This "him and hers" driving debate will never go away, but it is good when you have some figures, but as in all surveys it would be nice to know the actual questions asked - are they biased from the questioner?

Lets hope the thread stays "in tune".

Made an edit - before you pulled me up on a spelling mistake. Embarassed

Last edited by GJF on Fri May 25, 2007 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Quote:
But young new female drivers seem to be acquiring the same attitude as young new male drivers, and over estimate their capabilities.

Strange that!
Glad to see a woman has made that observation.

I have noticed more so recently, that young girls are now having their cars customised such as pink paintwork, new fronts, spoilers, noisy exhausts, tuned engines - just like "blokes".
This is an area that has been male dominated since the 105E Ford Anglia of the late 1960's was the first car to be customised.

As i'm writing this, a car has just sped past with extremely loud "boom, boom" music - with a female driving.

I presume that the new young female driving habits are going to now adapt to match men.

Now that would bring up an interesting topic -
What is happening with today's new woman?

Better keep that until we can all meet at one of the pgpsw do's......or would that be too risky?
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
...I presume that the new young female driving habits are going to now adapt to match men...

But who did they learn this from? Mommy on the school run, or Daddy on the school run.

If todays 4x4 parents are anything to go by most of tomorrows children will be driving customised Tanks! 8O

GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Quote:
I wish my daughter would copy mine (she says I drive too carefully!!!). She scares the poo out of me, so I always decline a lift from her! 8 pages to go.

I have a son like that, he used to tune up his already ultra fast sports car and drive like "s*** off a shovel" but he has now calmed down and preaches to me if i make the slightest mistake, whether the new young woman out there is adapting her driving habits or not, maybe speed will down quieten with age.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
Quote:
But who did they learn this from? Mommy on the school run, or Daddy on the school run.

I think that how the parents drive, has a lot of influence on the kids.
Generally both parents are more relaxed now in driving than a few years ago, probally due to safer and more relaxing vehicles.
Relaxed means more confidence, more confidence means taking more risks.

Quote:
If todays 4x4 parents are anything to go by most of tomorrows children will be driving customised Tanks!

Driving one of these 4x4 "trucks" certainly gives the occupants a false sense of security.
A friend of mine recently lost her 4x4, as her 15 year old daughter thought it was a tank, she found the keys one day, drove the vehicle away and wrote it off against a tree, if it had been a car she could easily have died.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Quote:
Having said that, though, there are people of both sexes who don't appear to have any idea what's happening beyond the front of the bonnet of their own car!!

Back to another controversial topic!

I think that having a "cold shower" before starting off, driving the car in the morning, should be compulsory. I'm constantly following drivers in a total dream world and dare i say - mostly women.

Although we all want to better our driving skills, if you are like me, i keep threatening to go for an Advanced driving test, but never get there - mainly due to a large work load.

I feel that this will only benefit us (the driver) if the Goverment or Insurance Companies, did something about it.
Years ago if you took the Advanced test, insurance Companies made it worth while by reducing your premium, today it seems to make little, if any difference in costs.
Unless there are incentives given to the motorist to better his/her driving skills, this is never going to change and with tests seemingly getting easier can only get worse.

Recently on another thread here, somebody mentioned that every one expects to drive as a "God given right" and after a limited amount of lessons/tests have expired, maybe the chance of a licence is terminated, maybe the answer is in there somewhere.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
...Driving one of these 4x4 "trucks" certainly gives the occupants a false sense of security...

So true! My audi has 4wd but is not a 4x4 in the normal sense. I got it as a safety feature as I drive to the French Alps, and Swiss Mountains with it. I found that after I took delivery I was like a giddy little boy just waiting for the weather to turn so I could really try it out. What you can quickly realize is that it doesn't matter how many wheels it drives with, it still has the stopping ability of a front wheel drive car. Sad

Last time it snowed I remember seeing plenty of 4X4's caught out!

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
...Although we all want to better our driving skills, if you are like me, i keep threatening to go for an Advanced driving test, but never get there - mainly due to a large work load...

I am currently doing advanced driving with the IAM. It is costing me about £80 and is conducted over 6 sessions of one hour on Sundays.

If anyone is interested attendance is about 50:50 male and female.

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
it doesn't matter how many wheels it drives with, it still has the stopping ability of a front wheel drive car

Also, a lot of people don't realise that ABS often increases stopping distances - but it does mean that the wheels don't lock up, possibly giving you greater control
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was younger (only last week ;) ) I used to drive hot hatches, which although weren’t suped-up, they were pretty quick even if they were factory original. I used to drive fast and learnt the hard way! I also had one stolen as that was the time when scum used to nick hot hatches and then joy ride them in front of crowds of people at Blackbird Leys, in Oxford.

Nowadays I drive Land Rover products, currently a Discovery. They are big enough to carry all that I need and they also slow you down – I don’t feel the need to speed.

It is correct to say that people think that 4x4s can go anywhere. The trouble is that some drivers forget that 2 tonnes of vehicle picks up more momentum but still only has four tyres with which to stop. Hence you do see some 4x4s sliding about in the snow and ice.

One of the things that I have noticed in over ten years of driving a large 4x4 is that people seem to “take you on” more than if you’re driving a smaller car, generally when they are approaching you in the opposite direction and they overtake a parked vehicle on their side of the road, right in your oncoming path!

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DennisN,

On holiday? I wish! :-(

I am (pretending to be) really busy at work at the moment and didn’t get a chance to go on the forum last night, so I haven’t been reading this topic.

I will make time to have a good read of it later and find some good arguments to come back at you men with! ;-)

Regards,

Bo Peep.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The council has introduced chicanes as part of 'safety measures' on the road where I live and these are a real danger.

There are no priority signs - the council claims the chicanes are wide enough for 2 vehicles, although they have removed the white lines from the centre of the road (hence the Highway Code implication of this is that there is NOT sufficient width for 2 vehicles)

Double yellow lines have been introduced, so vehicles no longer have to slow down for parked car hazards...a result of which is that the general speed has increased.

'Boy racer' types now use this road more often as a race track and, together with bus drivers, are the worst culprits of the "take me on" attitude outlined by Privateer at these chicanes.

Together with my neighbours, I have contacted the council - to which they simply replied "we know what we're doing", but obviously sitting at a desk in a posh office doesn't give a clear picture of traffic behaviour either before or after huge amounts of money are spent in the name of safety....copies of correspondence have been stored in a safe place, in anticipation of the first serious accident

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: