Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sony nav-u 50. BIG problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony nav-u 50. BIG problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Sony nav-u 50. BIG problems Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Just bought the missus a Sony nav-u 50 for Christmas. All went well until I tried to load the disk and connect it to the pc. It does connect but does nothing else now. On start-up I get the message "could not load resource DLL. DLL:\Mounted Volume\Sony\navu\langENG.dll"
When I click on the "ok" tab I end up loading properly, it seems , until the screen contains the top tool bar and a black square smack bang in the middle. Either that or another error message which says it can't find "nav-u.exe" "error 126".
In ActiveSync all I have in "Mounted Volume" is "my flash disk" which contains nothing at all.
The machine does connect with the usb cable and ActiveSync says it is synchronized.
I've tried re-installing the application from the set-up disc to no avail.
I need help folks She has advised me not to book a holiday until this is fixed and I think I know what that means.
Thanks (hopefully) in advance,
John
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something's gone seriously amiss. The easiest thing would be to take it back to the retailer and get it replaced. Better still get your money back and buy a Tomtom ONE as the U-50 isn't a particularly good solution.
JD76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I must confess I was looking for somewhat more constructive advise as to how I might rectify the situation rather than chuck it and start again. If anyone else has any suggestions I would be really grateful for their input. Thanks again, John.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never suggested you 'chuck it'. Other than what you have tried there is little else you can do. The OS or some essential components have been damaged or deleted.

If you are able to access the device via USB then you could try a fresh re-install of the OS and Maps if they are supplied on CD. If not then you have no option but to return it for replacement.
paulouk2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me today.
I got the software running again but lost my maps.
There is no back-up on the cd for the maps.
There is no DVD with backups on (as hinted at in the man ual). There is no link for any maps to download.
Unless I take the unit back to the store, I have a very expensive door-stop!

Paul
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get the store to replace the unit for a working one, the first thing you should do when no backup or re-install CD is supplied is to backup the contents of its memory to your PC.

It's very annoying when they can't be bothered to supply a re-install CD. TomTom don't either but they do make backups simple using the HOME application.
JD76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul, thanks for your post. Can you give me any procedures for getting the software to work again as you did? Thanks mate. John
paulouk2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I just kept trying to reinstall application from the cd rom. I downloaded the update patch from the sony site.
It just seemed to do it on about the 10th time.
I left the unit plugged in after I ran the reinstall and then straight away ran the update patch.

Do you have the maps on dvd? Or on backup? Can you tell me how big the files is?
I'm not sure what the store is going to say. The unit was a gift and I'm in the emabarrasing position of having to return it with the receipt , which I'll have to get from my girlfriend later.

Paul
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and use a u50 and find it worked straight out of the box with no other problems even loaded speed cameras on it. You need to take it back as some thing has gone wrong with the firmware. As you say there are no maps on the CD as the first thing you should have done was to back up the map and firmware ( to late now ). As for changing it for an inferior Sat Nav forget it. As far as Iam concerned my Sony NVU-50T works very well now that the TMC signal gets to the unit (see other posts on the matter ).
JD76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
you, mate, are a star of the highest magnitude. I did what you said and it came back in all it's former glory.
Now let's try to sort yours out. As regards the map, have you made the same mistake that I made when it came back on in not going into "settings" and choosing the British Isles map? I know it's the only one in there but it seems the machine still needs to be told to use it.
If you've already done that and there's really nothing there the only thing I can do is email what I've copied from the disk to my PC. It is 176mb though so will take a while even with broadband. If you want the maps give me your email address and I'll send 'em over.
Thanks to everyone else who contributed, I really appreciate it.
Regards to all and happy New Year.
John
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooo, don't even try to email a 176Mb file, it will be rejected by most mail servers.
paulouk2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD76 wrote:
Hi Paul,
you, mate, are a star of the highest magnitude. I did what you said and it came back in all it's former glory.
Now let's try to sort yours out. As regards the map, have you made the same mistake that I made when it came back on in not going into "settings" and choosing the British Isles map? I know it's the only one in there but it seems the machine still needs to be told to use it.
If you've already done that and there's really nothing there the only thing I can do is email what I've copied from the disk to my PC. It is 176mb though so will take a while even with broadband. If you want the maps give me your email address and I'll send 'em over.
Thanks to everyone else who contributed, I really appreciate it.
Regards to all and happy New Year.
John

Pm sent.

regards
paul
mikel2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2216 wrote:
I own and use a u50 and find it worked straight out of the box with no other problems even loaded speed cameras on it. You need to take it back as some thing has gone wrong with the firmware. As you say there are no maps on the CD as the first thing you should have done was to back up the map and firmware ( to late now ). As for changing it for an inferior Sat Nav forget it. As far as Iam concerned my Sony NVU-50T works very well now that the TMC signal gets to the unit (see other posts on the matter ).

I want to install Speed Camera POI's on a U50t, where and what is best to load onto it? I am a novice!!
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikel do a search and you will find a great post by dippy it's all there.
nedo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: