Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Antenna splitter??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Antenna splitter??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glyn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: GPS Antenna splitter?? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Not sure where to ask this question but I want to do a permanent install of a Snooper Sapphire into my Audi which is fitted with its OEM SatNav.

The Sapphire has an external aerial socket which has one of those tiny, push-in connectors - what are they called?

The factory-fit Audi GPS system also has the same connector that plugs into the back of the head-unit.

Rather than make work for myself and have to run the Snooper external cable & hide the antenna part of it or leave it in plain sight on the dash it would make sense to fit a splitter or Y cable to adapt the factory GPS plug so it can feed both the headunit and the Snooper.

Are these commercially available and if so from where please?

Failing that is there a custom cable manufacturer who could make one up please?

As I see it either a little 1 in/2 out box and a couple of patch cables or a Y cable fitted with the correct plugs would suffice.

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they MCX connectors or MMCX connectors (the latter is smaller than the former).

You may not be able to find pre-made 'Y' cable splitters as this is not a recommended connection style for the very high frequencies used - you get reflections that can cause loss of signal - sometime completely. I suspect that it may be as cheap to buy an active antenna for your Sapphire and fix it somewhere - people have good success securing underneath the rear parcel shelf which allows a good view of the sky through the rear-window. Also his doesn't affect any warranty on your inbuilt Audi unit.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Phil has said, splitting the signal is a non-starter but there are plenty of places you could conceal an antenna for the Snooper inside the car which may be an option acceptable to you?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: