Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion 96240 aka ALDI 4210 GPS - as released Sunday 20 May.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion 96240 aka ALDI 4210 GPS - as released Sunday 20 May.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sivota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just bought the same sat nav from Aldi. Not having used one before I've got some basic questions. whose answers may seem blindingly obvious to you all. I've gone through the instruction manual and whilst I've had no problems using the thing it seems to assume prior knowledge about TM and POI.

1) I've downloaded active sych but in German. If I then download the english version from the link given in an earlier reply, will it just overwrite it. Do I have to connect the sat nav to the PC again and get it to recognise it or do whatever it did?

2) Do I have to register with trafficmaster or is that already done. Is the number on the card a license/registration no? If I do need to register what am I registering for as TM seems to have a lot of products. Oh and do I have to switch TM on or does it just transmit automatically and then recalculate the route? I've not heard any broadcasts-but I've not put the aerial up yet, as I'm still trying to get to grips with it all, which may be why.

3) I want to download more POI eg McDonalds (for the kids!) so do I need to register and pay the 29.90E. I'm really confused about this as there are some POI already on, the camera warnings seem to work and it told me I was over the speed limit. No comments on my driving please! Don't want to fork out more money unnecessarily so I need this answer asap even if you can't answer the others. Not too bothered about the speed camera its just additional POI I'm interested in. Tried the helpline and they didn't know-got the feeling I was talking to the recently dead.

Hopefully someone can help.

Ta,

Sivota
Bens0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been almost traumatised trying to get to grips with this sat nav. The support team for navigating.de are very helpful and fielded some very basic questions from me.

The info is all there if you can find it. I almost gave up on POIWarner but now getting there slowly.

To sync for more POIs you do it through the PC. So you need to click start\programmes\ POI warner\sync tool. You need the device connected to your PC with Activesync first.

You're alrready registered with the POI sites, although no-one tells you this either (except the support team).

Good luck hope your nerve can take it 8O
sivota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I've overwritten the active sync with the english version and re synched it. But can't see any POI warner files. Are they supposed to be on my PC? I've gone through the setup from the CD correctly (I think) and can't see anything. Or do I have to go to the update sites and register first? If so don't I need some sort of ID.
Bens0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sync for more POIs you do it through the PC. So you need to click start\programmes\ POI warner\sync tool. You need the device connected to your PC with Activesync first.

The above is the start button on your windows desktop. Clicking on the sync tool takes you to a sync window where you can download the POIs.

You need to have your Medion connected to your PC with activesync and an internet connection running.
geedub
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: another cluless noob ! lol Reply with quote

right guys , ive finally managed to full mine ( poi warner )! phew Laughing Out Loud even though im not sure what it all does ! the biggest thing that annoys me is , the speed and distance shows in kilometer's , how do you change it to mph ?

so does the full poi-warner , show all speed camera's , traffic lights etc , i tried to sync them but , it says not a free service ! call me thick Laughing Out Loud but what am i paying for here ?

cheers in advance , i wait patiently 8O
Bens0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In navigation, click on the M then go into settings/display. You have options inc. km/miles.

When you pay for poi warner you get an email with transaction No. & poi warner id No. You should enter these for the camera download.

Then the fun starts...try clicking the rred/green square in the bottom of the navigator screen. That brings up POI Warner manager etc. I find this very frustrating as the point to tap is minute and not necessarily in the square, you'll see what I mean when you try it.

Once in, you can highlight which POIs to monitor.

Good luck.
sivota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an email from navigating.de. They say that the Aldi Sat nav probably only has only a 'lite' version of POI warner rather than the full so if you want more POI/camera info you have to pay up. It is 29.90 E for the POI plus 12 E for the speed cameras. But there is an leaflet in the sat nav box which gives a 5E discount. Also on the navigating.de site it says there is a spring special offer and the camera info is free. Not sure how long the offer is for. Going to order mine now. Guess I'll be busy for the next few hours. Hope I manage it as I'm off to Spain tomorrow.

I'm having problems hitting the right spot on the red button as well. I either hit it when I don't want to or can't do it when I do.
geedub
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bens0n wrote:
In navigation, click on the M then go into settings/display. You have options inc. km/miles.

cant believe ive spent days on this , and it was that easy Laughing Out Loud need to stop taking them stupid pills Laughing Out Loud

thank you very very much !

now for the rest ( see this is gonna be a long road Laughing Out Loud )

just to add ! i now have like a coloured bar on the right side of the screen ( say yellow to red ) im assuming this is the countdown to camera's ? i cant really check it without an hour drive , so id like to make sure its set up before i go on a journey ( if you get ma drift )

cheers again

Last edited by geedub on Tue May 29, 2007 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bens0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using TomTom on a PDA and that was so much friendlier to use.

Need to get a pet woodpecker for that flippin red/green square.
fatbob2006
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Medion P4210 (Aldi special) Reply with quote

I have had mine for about two weeks - seems fine (second unit after sd card failure)
It beeped for speed cameras and advised me about the speed limits
I seem to be having the same problems as others with the sd card - I will try to take it back
No TMC messages yet, but the icon does change colour - the wire aerial is a bit cheap!
I upgraded to full warner poi last night - uploaded loads of poi's (with icons for most) - cost is £17.42 with the Aldi discount
I like the way you can set your own poi's on screen (blackspots, mobiles etc.)
Big test is a 120 mile run to the Midlands - just hope it works OK after upgrade
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked one of these up yesterday morning and so far I'm fairly impressed.

TMC seems to work reasonably well here in the Midlands (Unlike TT's effort) when it locks on to a Trafficmaster station instead of Itis.

I'll abuse it for another week or so and see whether its worth keeping over my factory fit satnav in my 407.
Bens0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used this thing a couple of times now on longish journeys and can't get the cameras or other POIs to display.

Help.
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The POI Warner version that is supplied as is - is the Lite version, I'm guessing for most people this will do just fine - its mainly speed cameras and the Points of Interest info - like Aldi stores or historic monuments etc.

If you want to add your own or be able to customise things you'll need to take the plunge and pay for the full POI Warner package from navigating.de

There's no need to pay for the navigating.de speed camera DB as PocketGPSWorld does one - see the big yellow speed camera sign over there - thats the one!!

Took mine over to France last week and it was blooming great!

The only issues - the Traffic Master signal in the UK is at best POOR! - It only transmits via Classic FM and a few selected local radio stations that are owned by one of 2 companies - so as you can imagine its gonna be a bit flaky except on main routes such as Motorways and BIG A roads - even here it can be flaky and unpredictable.

Saying that on our journey down to Portsmouth the unit did divert us off the M4 a junction early - we missed queing on the M4 for a big pile up - but we were stuck in the queue further down - due to the accident being on a road with very few junctions!!

That said it diverted us around a broken down bus on the M3 - putting us back on right in front of the bus and the resulting queue! So when it works its blinking fabulous!!

In France it was amazing - the Traffic Management system is well utilised on the continent and it shows - again when you get a signal! I think the routing of the cable is paramount.

On my X Reg Mondeo I have the unit in the centre of the window, just above the dashboard to allow access for the wires. The TM wire is then routed up the window, around the mirror and behind the driver's side sun visor and tuck down the pillar faschia. That seems to give me acceptable results, but your car may be different - try various routings!

My only complaint is in order to use the POI Warner full version I need to realign the screen as my unit seems to loose the will to allow me to tap the green square no matter how carefully I try!!

I think the solution would be to move the position of the square - its in the POI warner settings somewhere - I think the unit gets confused with 'buttons' overlaid over its own - I'll give it a try next time I'm out and about.
sivota
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bens0n wrote:
I've used this thing a couple of times now on longish journeys and can't get the cameras or other POIs to display.

Help.

Have you tried doing a soft reset (ie restart)? I lost the red/green square after upgrading to the full POI warner but recovered it once I did the soft reset.
Bens0n
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sivota wrote:
Bens0n wrote:

Help.

Have you tried doing a soft reset (ie restart)? I lost the red/green square after upgrading to the full POI warner but recovered it once I did the soft reset.

Tried a soft and hard reset and zilch. No speed camera info.

I find this very difficult to use. Is it possible to create your own POI groups? I have a number of groups, downloaded from poisync but most of the things I'm after are lumped into one group 'All Special Destinations' but there's so many in there I give up looking.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: