Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom - how do I know if speed camera update is working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom - how do I know if speed camera update is working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Still29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Tom Tom - how do I know if speed camera update is working Reply with quote

My original speed camera files came with my Tom Tom 300 and I have just updated with Pocket GPS so I have 2 sets of camera files on my card. I activated the new files but how can I tell if they are actually working. I thought I'd found a new camera as I don't get any warning whenever I pass it but when I checked your map it is already on there. Do I need to delete the original Tom Tom camera files by any chance?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A regularily asked question....
The TomTom and PGPSW databases can both work quite happily side by side BUT you will obviously get double warnings for any cameras that are in both - this can end up annoying and confusing.

Now, because the TomTom supplied one...

is less complete,
doesn't have mobiles,
cannot have different alert distances for different speeds
cannot have different sounds for different speeds/types of camera
cannot have real voices giving the speed limit,
isn't updated anywhere near as often, and
is more expensive

...its not really suprising that most people soon ditch the TomTom one!

To check that either is working you can do a few things...
You can find the one you've seen on the PGPSW map by zooming in on the 300's map using "browse map" - it will show up so long as it has been "enabled" in the preferences menu and that POIs have been set to display in the map "options" menu.

You can set up an "A-B advanced planning" route past a known camera and the set the 300 to do a "route demo". Set the speed to anything less than 300% and you will see the camera icon on the navigation display and hear any warnings you have set up.

Remember that if you have installed the "speed-zoned" set of files, you have to go through the "enable" and "Warn when near" set-ups for EVERY camera type - all 24-33 of them (depending on if you include the unverified "pmobiles" and the empty "mobile_var" or not).
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
You can set up an "A-B advanced planning" route past a known camera and the set the 300 to do a "route demo". Set the speed to anything less than 300% and you will see the camera icon on the navigation display and hear any warnings you have set up.
mikealder wrote:
How To Test Your New Warnings

You could go out and drive past some local camera installations, there is a much easier way though that doesnt waste valuable fuel:

Switch on the TomTom device, or start the application as applicable.

Go to Advanced Planning (AtoB)

Set a departure point using Address/ Postcode FY43NN House number 95.

Set a destination point using Address/ Postcode PR41AX House number 33.

Now go to Show Route/ Route Demo, set the replay speed to around 100% and sit back watch/ listen, you should receive a Gatso 30 warning within about 45 seconds followed very closely by a Mobile 30 warning.

If I remember correctly, you can increase the speed to 300% and still hear the warnings, but there is a point above which the warnings don't sound.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK sorry, I was 100 out...

On a Go300 (all I have to try it on), at any demo speed 400% or below you will hear the alerts. At 405% and above you won't.

For the test I was suggesting, 2-300% is fine.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason (I allways state 100%) when suggesting a test post set-up is to eliminate any potential problems with other devices that use the software. A common approach of using 100% should also future proof any other future versions that might have a limitation. If the above method for testing is used then you get two different warnings within 60 seconds. Suggesting values of 100% means we don't have to ask further questions when new commers to the site read old posts (I like to think that some actually do this when looking for a solution)

Second post using the new toy - first was Friday before a total loss of signal in the Lake District - Mike[/list]
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Suggesting values of 100% means we don't have to ask further questions when new commers to the site read old posts (I like to think that some actually do this when looking for a solution)

My lips are sealed! Wink
Good call, I'll try to remember to suggest 100% in future.
Incidently, do any other brands have this demo facility yet?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new toy looks rather sweet, but is it the most recent update or is it still palmost pup pto pdate. Will you be entitled to a free upgrade?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis the unit is not upto date with respect to WM6 but it will be once its officially made available and I won't be paying for that, the difference is so slight it is hardly worth bothering with to be honest there is little you cannot do with the OS as supplied. I have tried WM6 for a while on one of the other toys and it doesn't do too much to be honest other than speed up the device.
Looking forwards to trying the shades with the TV output though a phone with a 60" screen sounds great fun - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: