Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 910/POI Capture & Speed Camera Database questi
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 910/POI Capture & Speed Camera Database questi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airwolf1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: TomTom Go 910/POI Capture & Speed Camera Database questi Reply with quote

Hi people,

I've recently purchased the TomTom Go 910. I've noticed that to add a safety/speed camera instantly you need to keep the TomTom connected to your mobile. As the mobile then connects to the network, is this classed as roaming and therefore will I be charged by the phone company?

Re the POI Capture on this website. Can you add them at the touch of a button, then upload them later, so that the TomTom doesn't have to be connected to your phone? And can you add average speed cameras?

Speed Camera Database question - does this include all types of cameras, and does it include average speed camera as a lot of these are being put up on the A14 near where I live.

Many thanks

Jay
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, Welcome to the forum, please be aware that POICapture is for recording camera locations and then uploading these to PocketGPSWorld for inclusion in the database run by this site, this is seperate to the TomTom supplied cameras.
Choice is yours but if you want accurate camera locations with configurable warnings and distances you will need to consider changing to the database from this site - its ony £2 per month or £19 per year to join the members area where you will find access to thwe speed camera database download section.
In terms of accuracy I wouldn't mind betting the A14 SPECS are already in the PocketGPSWorld database - Mike
Airwolf1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I realise this is separate from TomTom's services.

Does TomTom's camera database folder simply get replaced by yours?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You remove the TomTom Speed Camera files and install the ones from this site its a very simple procedure - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further details...
The database from this site works as standard POIs, so you can set different warning distances and alert sounds (or voices) for every camera type (you can't do either of those with TomTom's own for some daft reason).
POI capture is a clever "front-end" to do something you can do on the unit anyway with a few button presses, i.e. add a new POI at your current location in a new POI category (called "new cameras" or whatever). Whichever method you choose, you can then upload the file to PGPSW for inclusion in the next version (if verified), it has no facility to upload instantly via your mobile as far as I know.

You usually get two new versions of the database every month, sometimes three. All types of speed cameras are included: fixed Gatsos, Truvelos and Monitrons, SPECS average speed systems, temporary roadworks cameras, redlight cameras and sites where mobile detector vans/hand-held radar guns are known to have operated. Various downloads either keep all these seperate or combined together for simplicity. They are also available split into each speed limit, so you can be alerted with a specific spoken warning.

Installing is simply a matter of copying the relevant files to your map folder. Details of that and how to remove the TomTom ones are all in the FAQs

Last edited by Andy_P on Sun May 20, 2007 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
In terms of accuracy I wouldn't mind betting the A14 SPECS are already in the PocketGPSWorld database - Mike
There seem to be quite a bunch (8 or 10 I think) on the camera download between Cambridge and Huntingdon.
Andy_P2002 wrote:
it has no facility to upload instantly via your mobile as far as I know.
How about if you have a nice new toy like Mike's?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
How about if you have a nice new toy like Mike's?

That's not a mobile, it's a Tardis!
Airwolf1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There seem to be quite a bunch (8 or 10 I think) on the camera download between Cambridge and Huntingdon.

That's what I wanted to know, if these were on. Excellent. When I got my TomTom on Thursday I initially had problems with it and I had to format the hard drive. Since then (Firday) I've had no problems, but I did pay TomTom for their camera updates, which I'm going to ask for a refund and use this.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!! You are the first person I've heard of formatting a Tom Tom hard drive.
There's no way I'd be formatting on the day after I got a new device - when I tried 910s last year, they went straight back because the sales assistant said they needed the reset button pressing and I said NO WAY with a new machine.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: