Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Red light camera conundrum
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Red light camera conundrum
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really mean "gutter" Tim - dementia again - couldn't remember the English for "clear, unlittered nearside". But I did it not more than 2 hours ago and got a little flutter of the left hand. Not all bikers are vampires.

One of my pet freaks is the BlackVWGolf which gleefully jumps out into the wake of the EV in order to beat the traffic jam - they should have cameras in the back of EVs for that.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In France, it appears that a 'recognised' signal by bikers, to say thanks at you moving slightly to let them past, is to lift out their right leg, rather than take any hand off the handlebars. I suppose it makes sense, as if they are passing you they probably won't need the foot brake for that second.

It is a bit off putting at first to see this, but it is becoming quite common and promotes a more friendly relationship between bikers and car drivers.

Any thoughts Tim ??

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do both (but not at the same time 8O ). I used to worry that drivers would think I was kicking out at their car when I first saw the foot action. Of course, in the countries which drive on the wrong side of the road, giving a cheery wave with the right (visible0 hand isn't really an option since this would result in the car passing you again at double quick time. I prefer the hand wave at higher speeds and the foot wave where I desire a greater degree of control, like in slow speed filtering. Am I allowed to mention filtering? 8)
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Am I allowed to mention filtering? 8)

Filtering is actually mentioned in the Highway Code these days. After all, what is the point of something, which could easily fit through gaps, sitting behind rows of things travelling slowly. As long as it can be done safely at only a few mph more than the flow of traffic.

What is really annoying is when you are on a motorway, waiting for a slower car to move over so you can overtake, only to be overtaken on the nearside by a motorcycle, which promptly threads the needle and squeezes past the car you want to overtake.

Some bikers wonder why so many are killed. Unfortunatley it's the minority of idiots who give the majority of safe riders a poor reputation.

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
In France, it appears that a 'recognised' signal by bikers, to say thanks at you moving slightly to let them past, is to lift out their right leg, rather than take any hand off the handlebars.

In the UK it often means something else Evil or Very Mad, but I'll remember that one. "Honestly officer, I was just waving my leg at the driver to thank him for his courteous and considerate driving towards a biker." Supreme Angel

I usually give a sideways nod of the head or a wave with my left hand if possible though it's not always doable.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I usually give a sideways nod of the head or a wave with my left hand if possible though it's not always doable.
I think you'll find that if a driver is sufficiently "bike aware" to move in a way that doesn't cause any danger to them or other road users, but allows you through safely, they are also sufficiently "bike aware" that you can't always send them a Thankyou Card Laughing

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Some bikers wonder why so many are killed. Unfortunatley it's the minority of idiots who give the majority of safe riders a poor reputation.

I gladly move over for bikers and, when traffic permits, allow them extra room to filter through slow moving traffic.

Some morons on two wheels, though, think it's ok to 'filter' between 2 vehicles travelling quickly down the motorway (or dual carriageway) and almost taking the door mirrors off both cars and adding go-faster stripes in the process. Dodging between vehicles in different lanes is bad enough, but riding right between two vehicles is just suicidal - it only takes one of them to drift an inch or two and almost certain death for the biker and goodness knows what else.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS fan
When filtering was mentioned earlier as acceptable, I did mean when traffic was travelling either extremely slowly in queues or when stationary. I am all for bikers making a 'little' progress in these circumstances.

On motorways or dual carriageways when traffic is travelling reasonably quick, even in rush hour, everyone is being held up and I am totally against bikers filtering here. As you say, all it takes is for a gap to appear and a car or van driver wanting to swap lanes to take the advantage of getting one vehicle length further forward and a filtering biker is taking his final drive.

Obviously a simplistic answer here might be, "well the driver should have checked his mirrors before changing lanes". Yes indeed, but you have to weigh up what can be reasonably expected to happen.

Anyway.....this WAS a red light camera thread and we have really gone somewhat Off Topic . I apologise for my part in that.

Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving back on topic, a little at least, would you care to comment on this thread? Are we missing something obvious?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
GPS fan
When filtering was mentioned earlier as acceptable, I did mean when traffic was travelling either extremely slowly in queues or when stationary. I am all for bikers making a 'little' progress in these circumstances.

Absolutely, I agree with filtering and I move over to allow bikes through (when safe to do so, of course).

Unfortunately, like everything else it's the few who spoil it for the rest.

Coming back to the topic of red lights, I think we've possibly covered it as much as we can and your input has been invaluable, Tommo - nothing better than 'a man who knows', especially with all these shades of grey Confused

...and I think that we still agree on the principle of more police officers (and perhaps fewer cameras) to clamp down on all dangerous driving
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed......

But I don't purport to be an expert, just because I wear a uniform and drive through red lights on occasion. As I said somewhere else recently, every day is a school day. I think these debates are fascinating as although I try to see all things from a neutral perpective, there are always people who throw in a curved ball that I hadn't thought of.

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
Tim Buxton wrote:
Am I allowed to mention filtering? 8)

Filtering is actually mentioned in the Highway Code these days. After all, what is the point of something, which could easily fit through gaps, sitting behind rows of things travelling slowly. As long as it can be done safely at only a few mph more than the flow of traffic.

A word of warning to you bikers if I may...

...this evening, my wife was sitting in almost stationary traffic on a dual carriageway and a motorcyclist was filtering the centre of the two lines of traffic...

...the car behind my wife left space for a car in the other lane to move across, but just as the other car started to move the biker clipped her front wing and went head first through the rear window of my wife's car and his pillion was thrown across the road.

Luckily, everybody was OK as it turned out (except for a few minor cuts, bruises and maybe mild whiplash) AND the car behind my wife who had left the gap was a traffic officer in his well marked car - what better witness could my wife have? Police were already at the scene of the accident and it all turned out alright in the end.

...just got back from picking her up from the hospital and I was looking forward to a relaxing evening

It may be off topic, but filtering had been mentioned so I thought I'd give our biking friends a friendly word of warning - TAKE CARE
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
the biker clipped her front wing and went head first through the rear window of my wife's car and his pillion was thrown across the road.

Ouchie! I'll bet the bikers have a few bruises by tomorrow! Crashing hurts. Sad

Pleased to hear that everyone is OK and it doesn't sound like there will be much dispute over blame for insurance claims. Still quite a fright though!
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect I'll be seeing it myself on 'Road Wars' soon enough! Smile

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: