Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Red light camera conundrum
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Red light camera conundrum
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Red light camera conundrum Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
In the absence of a red light camera, my natural instinct was to edge forward, making room for the police car to come through

If you are going slow enough (walking speed) then the cameras don't trip, in my experience. I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution though, the emergency services can just write these tickets off, folks like us have a much harder time arguing it in court.

I saw a funny one the other day, an ambulance was right up the bumper of a car who refused to pull over into a bus lane to let him past. Sirens and horn blaring but the driver stood firm and made the ambulance use the bus lane. I really couldn't understand why the ambulance wouldn't just use the bus lane to undertake the car. Rolling Eyes
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe one for a blue light trained driver to answer. but i would think it would for saftey as someone could walk out eaiser

the guy should have moved out of the way

ive done it in the truck often enough including in london and never receiveed a ticket yet

all the authories would have to do is contact the ambulance or police or fire authorities to verify whether or not a ev tripping the camera or a veihicle had to get out of the way

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Red light camera conundrum Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I really couldn't understand why the ambulance wouldn't just use the bus lane to undertake the car. Rolling Eyes

Until recently, ambulances were clocked by speed cameras and their drivers were fined - so I wouldn't be surprised if bus lanes are still considered to be out of bounds. Confused
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
There's nowt so queer as folk

All the world's queer, except thee and me. An even tha's a bit queer Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha's talking funny for a Bristol lad!

...and these days it depends very much upon the context in which the word 'queer' is used.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fire service driver I can tell you that
1. We are allowed to break the speed limits if on a call
2. Red traffic lights can be treated as a give way sign - so we should slow down and only proceed if the road is clear.
3. We are not meant to use bus lanes because if you think about it we could get boxed in if something is parked and there is traffic in the outside lane, we are more likely to move over to the opposite carriageway and drive against the oncoming traffic(carefully).
4. We are not meant to push other motorists through red lights, again better to use wrong side of road and then pull back to left.
theripper
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting points, Ripper.

I think I'd already pointed out the point about emergency vehicles viewing red lights as 'give way' instead of 'stop'.

Do you know, though, where we may obtain the definitive answer to this question?

Surely, according to your post, the traffic officer who came up behind me should have known the rules just as well as you, if not better since traffic officers are responsible for enforcing traffic laws and regulations.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Until recently, ambulances were clocked by speed cameras and their drivers were fined - so I wouldn't be surprised if bus lanes are still considered to be out of bounds. Confused

Ambulance drivers were never fined for speeding if they were on an emergency call.

What they were complaining about was that they had to fill in the paperwork for every camera they set off so they could have the case dropped and it was wasting their time.

alix776 wrote:
all the authories would have to do is contact the ambulance or police or fire authorities to verify whether or not a ev tripping the camera or a veihicle had to get out of the way

The problem is that if the authorities couldn't be bothered to investigate the incident then you are lumped with a £100 fine and it could take a considerable amount of time and effort for you to defend yourself against the accusation. If the emergency vehicle didn't appear in the picture then you have a very difficult case to prove.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan
Those points were the rules that I was taught when doing my driving course a long time ago
I agree that the traffic officer should probably have known better than to try to push you through the lights but then again in London I have watched the police in transits going through red lights without even touching their brakes(one rule for them another for us). The only place you would get a definitive answer is your local police or SC partnership.

If we get caught on a gatso the London Fire Brigade deal with it if it actually comes through, I think that the people checking the photos at the traffic dept in Catford usually bin them if they see our blue beacons flashing.
I know they do check them because my station got a b******ing once because as I drove past the gatso one of the crew put his head out of the window and smiled while it took the photo- he couldn't even say it wasn't him Laughing
theripper
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to this topic I'm not sure whether it is Londonwide or just Lewisham council but if they catch you on CCTV stopping in the yellow hatched areas at junctions you also get a ticket in the post. - This happened about a year ago to one of the blokes at work, It turned up on his doorstep with a copy of the photo(could have been a bit naughty if he had been up to no good) and a request for £80
theripper
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="alix776"]ive done it in the truck often enough including in london and never receiveed a ticket yet

I can guarantee that if you even pull into the bus lane outside Lewisham Hospital in South London to overtake a vehicle that is turning right you do get a ticket.
theripper
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
The only place you would get a definitive answer is your local police or SC partnership.

Yeah, right!!

That's the logical conclusion - but I've contacted them twice now and haven't heard anything.

MaFt had a reply from his SC partnership in a flash (terrible pun, I know) - but their response (earlier in this thread) didn't really clarify the situation.

I don't envy you trying to drive a fire engine through traffic.

Is it true that if you're driving your fire engine down a narrow road which is blocked by parked cars, you ARE allowed to barge the parked cars out of the way?
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done it but I know a driver about 15 years ago who took a turntable ladder down a narrow street and took the wing mirrors off every car on both sides of the road. All it means is lots of paperwork
theripper
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan

I eventually found this thread. It turns out that I hadn't renewed my subscription, so I didn't have access to the 'members only forums'.

Anyway...

As I understand it, the sensors for red light cameras are loops built into the road surface, these are usually identified by tar line boxes on the road surface. The sensors are only operational for a few seconds after the red light comes on (don't know exactly how many seconds). So if you are stationary at a red light and Police, or whatever emergency service comes flying up behind with blues and twos, whilst there is nothing compelling you to go through a red light, it is good practice to attempt to get out the way, if it is possible. This may involve going over the sensor and then activating the camera. Depending on how long after the red light became red, the Police vehicle may not activate the sensor (again I don't know how many seconds they are active for). So it quite possible for you to be flashed getting out of the way of a Police vehicle, which does not trigger the camera, therefore not giving you the chance of a photograph to prove your case.

I'm sure that if you received a N.I.P., a covering letter explaining the circumstances, could be investigated and proved to be true. I think if this happened to me, I would be tempted to contact the Police as soon after the incident as I could to have it logged, in case the paperwork does come through the door. At least then you may have a reference number or incident number to back you up. The N.I.P. has to be delivered within 14 days, so if you receive nothing by then (assuming you are the registrered keeper of the vehicle you are driving) then you cannot be prosecuted.

I hope this helps, although I know there are still very grey areas.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Red light camera conundrum Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
I saw a funny one the other day, an ambulance was right up the bumper of a car who refused to pull over into a bus lane to let him past. Sirens and horn blaring but the driver stood firm and made the ambulance use the bus lane. I really couldn't understand why the ambulance wouldn't just use the bus lane to undertake the car. Rolling Eyes

Before the introduction of bus lanes, emergency vehicles, would breeze past traffic, which would automatically pull to the left to get out their way. Since bus lanes, it has become more and more difficult to do this, as it puts the emergency vehicle closer to the oncoming traffic. Emergency vehicles therefore tend to sit behind motorists to encourage them to get into the bus lane and therefore give the emergency vehicle a safer course. Why not just drive in the bus lane themselves ?? Well for one it puts the emergency vehicle closer to pedestrians (who are usually on pavements), and if they were to breeze up the bus lane, a motorist who looked in their mirror and reacted in the correct manner (pulling to the left) would then potentially collide with the emergency vehicle.

In Edinburgh where I work, our bus lanes are all painted green and nobody wants to drive on them at any time, despite most of them only being operational during peak times. At 3 in the morning with blue lights on and coming up behind members of the public, a common reaction for them is to pull to the right, rather than drive on the green paint. Strange but true.

I don't want to criticise someone for doing what they deem to be the safe manoeuvre, after all it is the emergency crew who should get from A to B safely, by whatever means they can.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: