Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just how up todate is the latest GB map?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just how up todate is the latest GB map?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Just how up todate is the latest GB map? Reply with quote

I've had my GO300 for a couple of years now which means the GB maps must be much older than that so I was wondering about upgrading the map. However, $65000 question - is the new map worth buying and just how up todate are they. E.G. I was travelling through the Midlands on business the other day and had to travel through Stoke on Trent using the A500. The large roundabouts along the route through Stoke have been replaced by a whole new network of underpasses/overpass with traffic signal controls. Can anyone advise if these particular alterations are shown on the new maps? I have been informed that although the road didn't open until Oct 06 it has taken nearly 3 years in it's construction so I would have thought they should be shown.
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The v675.1409 map shows A500 going under a series of roundabouts in the urban Stoke area.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how up todate is the latest GB map? Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
I have been informed that although the road didn't open until Oct 06 it has taken nearly 3 years in it's construction so I would have thought they should be shown.

This is one of the areas where paper maps have a big advantage. Roads under construction can be shown on a paper map, and the map will be right whether the road is there or not. If it is you can just take it, and it doesnt really matter if it doesnt match the real position on the planet...

With digital mapping there is a big difference. The roads have to be pretty much exactly where they are on the map, and the map would be unable to tell that the road opened on Oct 6th... Often roads are not opened on schedule, some are even opened 6 months early. So to be included in maps for navigation the road really needs to have been surveyed, in which case it needs to be open.

Once surveyed it can take a minimum of 4 months to actually get into a product on the shelves, but it is more likely to be 12 months depending on the product cycles.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroomfondel wrote:
The v675.1409 map shows A500 going under a series of roundabouts in the urban Stoke area.

That sounds just the same as my present map which is at least 3 years old. According to reports the A500 improvements started January 2004 and should have opened summer 2006 but got delayed to October 2006. Surely a road scheme of this size should have been included for release on the latest maps? At this rate the road will have been opened at least two or more years before it has a chance of being included on the maps. I see little point in buying new maps in the short term and perhaps to really benefit only buy them once every six to ten years, or until these mapping companies are made to get their act together via legislation.
vroomfondel
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For France it seems to me the maps are updated quicker. I went on a bit of an Autoroute that had only opened the month before and it was on the TomTom map. However, it wasn't on my Navman map which showed me flying over fields and rivers.
Since then I've dumped the navman, also their customer support was hopeless.
philstaffs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel on the A500 as well, I wouldnt have thought the new roads wouldnt be on the map for a while as reading the forums there are road alterations on the M25 that have been done a year or two and still have not been updated
I do have a problem travelling South on the A500 as the route given tries to take me on the up ramp and back on again at the stoke road junction instead of keeping on the main road. This only happens going South but not on the North bound carriageway.
I get exactly the same problem on the A34 Hanworth bypass between Alderley Edge and Manchester going South not North.
I have told Tomtom but do they ever take notice
Phil
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philstaffs wrote:
I travel on the A500 as well, I wouldnt have thought the new roads wouldnt be on the map for a while as reading the forums there are road alterations on the M25 that have been done a year or two and still have not been updated
I do have a problem travelling South on the A500 as the route given tries to take me on the up ramp and back on again at the stoke road junction instead of keeping on the main road. This only happens going South but not on the North bound carriageway.
I get exactly the same problem on the A34 Hanworth bypass between Alderley Edge and Manchester going South not North.
I have told Tomtom but do they ever take notice
Phil

Yes TomTom tried to get me to come off the off ramp - I suppose that's where the roundabouts used to be, it ended up confusing itself and kept re-configuring the route. It also has a problem if I come off the A500 at the Talke interchange as I sometimes have business in Newcastle. It says take the exit but then gets stuck with the roundabout, quite simply it doesn't know which is the A34 exit and just says turn right but never which exit and there are quite a few.
philstaffs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a pity someone hasnt developed a programme that lets you edit the maps yourself, I would have thought it would be possible for some clever person, then we could all post updates ourselves on this site as we do with pois. But I suppose there might be a problem with copyright or something
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philstaffs wrote:
Its a pity someone hasn’t developed a programme that lets you edit the maps yourself, I would have thought it would be possible for some clever person, then we could all post updates ourselves on this site as we do with pois. But I suppose there might be a problem with copyright or something
Mapping the country to provide a free to use map is already well established, you can use map tiles from the project on the TomTom devices, for display purpose:

This is my 910 with Off Road Navigator also installed is an area I mapped with the 910 around my home town - still plenty more to do! GPS Position is shown on the map as the red gun sight (upper left quarter of the screen).

I guess its only a matter of time before someone creates a navigation software to use the map data. The Open Street Map web site appears to be down at the time of writing, but can normally be found Here

Anyone with a GPS system can add data to the map, for example there are a couple of new(ish) roundabouts within 5 miles of home, they are not on the 675 map but they are on the OSM map - in fairness the road junctions I am referring to were only altered three months ago! - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about the mapping, Mike, but your 910 could certainly do with a haircut! Stop!

EDIT: Sorry, read the XL review thread now... Nothing worse than a second-hand joke. Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: