Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What options have I got to upgrade from TT5 on a Palm T3?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What options have I got to upgrade from TT5 on a Palm T3?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: What options have I got to upgrade from TT5 on a Palm T3? Reply with quote

I have been running TomTom 5 on my Palm T3 and am generally very happy.

I have the latest maps for TT5, but so much has changed locally to me that I want more accurate data.

Ideally I would like to upgrade to TT6, but AFAIK its not support on the T3. With this in mind what options do I have?

I am assuming that TT6 maps don't work on TT5, so am I stuffed? Is there any upgrade option, or am I now foced to scrap my T3 solution and buy a dedicated TomTom device?

Any info would be appreicated

Jon
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom 6 works okay on a Tungsten T3. You have certain advantages such as high-res menu icons, speed ratings on some roads (in the TT6 maps), integrated contacts navigation, and the ability to use .ogg sound files for POI alerts.

The major drawback, though, is that the map refresh rate is very slow, so it becomes extremely jerky as you move along. This was fixable in Tomtom 5 by hiding POIs, but this menu option has been removed from Tomtom 6. Overclocking does not help.

You are correct that TT6 maps do not work on TT5. However, you can get up to date maps (map versions 660.1223) which do work on Tomtom 5.

I tried to live with TT6 on my Tungsten T3 but found the jerky display so offputting that I have rolled back to TT5 - I live with the lack of speed ratings and .ogg file POI warnings.
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for your reply.. I plucked up the courage to try TT6 on the T3 and as you said, it actually worked..

But also as you said, its horribly slow.. None of the TT6 benifits appeal to me, so I might do the same as you and go back to TT5, but with the 660 Maps.

One thing about your reply is that you said OGG support isn't in 5.0.. This is not the case.. I have been using OGG files for my POI warning in 5.0 and its fine.. When I changed to 6.0, the same OGG files worked for me, that I was using in 5.0.

I really would like to take this opportunity to upgrade to a Standalone unit.. But the problem is that I have a 'Heat Reflective' windscreen in my car and GPS doesn't work through it.. For my Palm solution, I have the Bluetooth reciever on the rear parcel shelf under the back window.. BUt this will not be possible if I have a standalone unit.

So I don't really know what to do!!!

Jon
vinniet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ... I have a Zire 72 and I too upgraded to TT6 USA. Its the same for me that its jerky. But I wanted to upgrade in the POI and road more then anything. Also it now knows what side of the street a address is on. This is important when you are going down a highway and you are not sure if you have to turn around to get to a adress.

I hate the speed warning, since I am speeding most of the time Twisted Evil

I will have to live with it, I hope that they will update the software and it will run faster. PPC users said that there update has fixed the jerky.

BTW what version are you running. I am running 6.010

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: