Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NAVMAN Traffic Module T1 TMC Receiver BASIC GUIDE for Dummys
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NAVMAN Traffic Module T1 TMC Receiver BASIC GUIDE for Dummys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zippybits
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: NAVMAN Traffic Module T1 TMC Receiver BASIC GUIDE for Dummys Reply with quote

OK you have got your navman and also a TMC T1 Module

Like me all excited that your going to get all your traffic updates to run to your car plug it in and ....... you guessed it DONT WORK, if your very lucky you might get it working about once a month,

Answer - The Aerial is quite franky as useful as a choclate teapot.

Solution - yep involves yet more money due to Navman's bad design which is a same as I like there Products I have a N60i anyway this is what you need, you may get the parts cheaper but at end of day this appears to work, just copy and paste links for the bits and order.

Part 1 of 2 required

Buy a Garmin MCX to BNC Adaptor Cable, #010-10121-00 - eXpansys UK
http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=100140

This is about £16 quid of hard cash for a stupid cable but you need it to connect to your T1, buy the way incase you diddn't know MCX means Micro Co-axle

Part 2 of 2 Required

Miniscan Mobile Antenna
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=QT30H&source=15&SD=Y

Again £14.99 plus postage, But it appears to be the sensable DIY solution to the problem for Mr. DIY no hassle like myself, Maybe Navman will read this and take notice and sort out there own problems before there customers have to take matters into there own hands.

Come on Navman, you can to better than this, you make good GPS units sort your T1 modules out!!!

Hope this helps all the normal people like me,

Adrian
zippybits@aol.com

[url][/url][url][/url]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, you are quite correct to use an external aerial, at least you have this as an option, not many RDS-TMC units have a socket.
For what its worth I am currently using a T1 and have green TMC box around Preston on the M6 (aerial as supplied) so it does work, but is much improved if connected to external feed.
A cheaper option is to connect it to the existing car aerial via a spitter lead, you can get the bits from CPC to make one - Mike
edwards_skin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Similar issues... I thnk??? Reply with quote

I also have a N60i with the T1 module. (Supplied aerial attached and installed at the highest point in the car window) I accept that the best solution would be an external aerial, but have a basic question first. I am not getting a signal in the Nottingham area.

The User guide for the T1 shows a screen shot of the Traffic System status screen, where it is displayed that the tuner is tuned to Classic. is this something that is displayed when a signal is recieved? or is it something that you can set manually or scan for?
gtarling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried an internal, amplified aerial, such as item 250157746981 on Ebay? I'm keen to get my T1 working properly, but don't want an external aerial and I'm not very keen on fitting a splitter to my existing radio.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the unit you are looking at on e-bay does work efficiently at the lower frequency of its claim 48,5 to 223 MHz then it should offer an improvement but what do you intend to do with the associated wiring and aerials? - it doesn't look anywhere nearly as effective as either the mini scan or sky scan mag mount external aerials from Maplins? - both these products from Maplins are known to work very well with the T1 RDS-TMC unit - Mike
gtarling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - Thanks for your opinion. I really don't want any form of external aerial on my car, which is why I was looking at the internal type. I've now found that Pioneer make a AN-TMC1 amplified antenna for use with all TMC systems - it's £25, so am going to phone a dealer tomorrow and try to find out a bit more about it - there's no details that I can find on the Pioneer website. As for fitting it, I'll either fit it on the left side of the windscreen or on one of the rear side windows (estate car), whichever works best. The wiring is easily concealed either under trim or carpets.
johncarnie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to find this unit - Navilock Car-aerial splitter (DIN-ISO connector) for GPS-TMC-Sirf3 from cartft for my Navman F50 - took 5 mins to fit - and picked up TMC Classic FM immediately (with the OE Navman - only limited reception). It's a tad expensive - it is shipped from German

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/671

Edited by Tim to correct URL.
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johncarnie wrote:
I managed to find this unit - Navilock Car-aerial splitter (DIN-ISO connector) for GPS-TMC-Sirf3 from cartft for my Navman F50 - took 5 mins to fit - and picked up TMC Classic FM immediately (with the OE Navman - only limited reception). It's a tad expensive - it is shipped from German

[/url]http://cartft.com/catalog/il/671[/url][/url]

That is a neat looking bit of kit !
Would it work with a Navman F20 do you know ?
johncarnie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works on my F20

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: