Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - European Base Map for the iCN720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

European Base Map for the iCN720
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikebro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: European Base Map for the iCN720 Reply with quote

I've really made a mess of things Crying or Very sad .

I was having problems with my POI's and decided to remove then replace them. Which I did but for some reason the POI's stayed on the 720 as empty files but didn't show in the POI file manager.

So, here's the bad bit. I thought it'd be a good idea to delete all the maps from the 720 and reinstall. That was after trying everything I could to delete the old empty files from the 720.

The maps were deleted no problem.

The reinstallation wasn't.

Everything loaded except the european base map. It got to 15% then uninstalled for some reason. I've spent hours trying to install it but the same thing happens after a 15% install.

Help! Has anyone any ideas?
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum

This sounds very similar to a problem I had with my icn750. A problem I refered to as ghosting. This was where some poi's I'd entered seemed to still remain on the device even after I'd deleted them with poi manager on the Navman smart desktop. if interested see
here

The fix is a complete reinstall. What I will suggest though is that your 720 was uk maps only out of the box, so put only the standard software back when reinstalling. Only after this is working put the rest of the euro maps on it.

Now. Reinstall means using the update software button on smart desktop. This will reinstall the software on the icn720. Then when you know it is working again try the euro maps again.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Mikebro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dom thanks for the reply and welcome. Smile

I've read your post about the 'Ghost's of the POI's' and that's exactly the problem I have.

I've reinstalled the UK and Ireland maps but it's the Europe Major Road Network that won't reinstall (which is what I should have put in the first post).

I've followed your advice apart from using the update software button. That doesn't seem to work on my SmartST Desktop.

The way I've reinstalled is to check the box next to Add Europe Major Road Network (v4.00) 68.8MB. I then clicked on select all. Finally I clicked on the install button at the bottom of the Add Maps menu.

Again, all that was installed was the UK and Ireland maps. The Europe Major Road Network map got to 28% this time then uninstalled itself.

My POI 'ghosts' are still there. Sad

If you have any further advice I'd appreciate it.

Until then I'll keep trying.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikebro wrote:
I've followed your advice apart from using the update software button. That doesn't seem to work on my SmartST Desktop...

That is the key to the reinstall! All you are doing is removing and putting back the maps, which will not solve the initial problem, and may be a cause for the euro map problem.

Is your computer connect to the internet, if yes have you allowed smart desktop to download the updates?

I will also have a go tomorrow and explain exactly what I did. Can't remember too clearly at the moment.

Mikebro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I got the update button working (my firewall was blocking it) and it told me my system is up to date.

I therefore uninstalled the maps again and then tried the update and it still told me my system was up to date.

Maybe I'm not doing a clean enough uninstall? Confused

I look forward to your reply and further details.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some times you just have to check!

Ensure your gps is plugged into it's usb connector and turn on smart desktop. Wait till they have sycronised. Then follow the menu buttons on the smart desktop as follows. Setup - Update Software - Update Software On Icn

This should start a series installation programs, Follow the instructions.
Just try it and let me know the outcome.

Mikebro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, here we go!

I plugged in my GPS into the USB socket. Fired up Smart desktop. They synchronised. I then pressed the update software on iCN button.
A pop up widow appered and explained it was about to load Navman SmartST onto the iCN720. That took about 5 mins and that was it. Nothing else.

I uninstalled the maps again and repeated the process. Just the same result.

My 'ghost POI's' are still there and the Europe major road network will not install past 15%

I feel I must be doing something wrong but I'll keep on trying. I've even sent an email to Navman support last Sunday but nothing back from them as of yet.

Thank you for all your help with this tricky problem.
Mikebro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, here we go!

I plugged in my GPS into the USB socket. Fired up Smart desktop. They synchronised. I then pressed the update software on iCN button.
A pop up window appered and explained it was about to load Navman SmartST onto the iCN720. That took about 5 mins and that was it. Nothing else.

I uninstalled the maps again and repeated the process. Just the same result.

My 'ghost POI's' are still there and the Europe major road network will not install past 15%

I feel I must be doing something wrong but I'll keep on trying. I've even sent an email to Navman support last Sunday but nothing back from them as of yet.

Thank you for all your help with this tricky problem.
Mikebro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I'm that confused about it all I've even posted the message twice. Sorry Embarassed
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about the route I took to clear my gps, and have another suggestion to try. I will run a full reinstall tonight to check the full procedure as I just don't know which bit cleared the poi's.

When you look at the gps look at the active poi list where you can select each poi file a deactivate them. Try this then rerun the update software on iCN.

Another thing I used to do to get the gps running again was to put the poi files back onto the device using the same filenames as the ghost poi's. As a test this may allow you to reinstall the euro maps successfully allowing you to concentrate on only the poi problem.

As a general note there should be no need to remove any map files, this should only be concidered last resort. So if you get the euro maps onto the gps, leave them alone.

mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is truly annoying!

I am almost at a complete loss as to what part of my reinstall solved my problem. I can only now speculate as my test proved nothing. This is very difficult without a donor to work with.

I do believe that note above may work. give it a go. Deactivating the poi's and re installing the software should clear the ghosts.

buzby316
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem as you, & this is how I solved it.

Connect your icn to your pc.
Start up the SmartST.
Once synchronised click onthe tools icon in top left corner, & choose "recover registration information from Navman" it's the only option avaliable.

This should sort out your problem, it worked on mine yesterday. Smile
buzby316
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikebro wrote:

I then pressed the update software on iCN button.

Sorry, meant to tell you; the update software button is to update SmartST on your pc, not the icn software.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzby316 wrote:
Sorry, meant to tell you; the update software button is to update SmartST on your pc, not the icn software.

Please be specific here!

mostdom wrote:
Then follow the menu buttons on the smart desktop as follows. Setup - Update Software - Update Software On Icn

The 'update software on icn' button does update the device not the pc software.

buzby316
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
The 'update software on icn' button does update the device not the pc software.

Sorry, my bad Embarassed ;got a bit confused with the update button at top right in SmartST. However, the steps I explained does work to reinstall the maps, then you'd be able to update the software on your icn. Sorry if I confused you there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: