Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTG 510 petrol station POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTG 510 petrol station POI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DingleRoad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: TTG 510 petrol station POI's Reply with quote

The only poi's I want on my 510 are speed cameras and petrol stations. The speed cameras work great and came already installed but the pre installed petrol stations are a waste of time.
I've downloaded from this site the petrol stations and extracted to desk top as a 183 kb file. Sorry but this is a newbie question which has probably been answered 100's of times already, I notice in the maps file there is a POI dat file. Do I need to remove this and replace with downloaded file and do I need POI edit to do this ? I presume the preinstalled dat file has all the poi's ....not just petrol stations.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right - "poi.dat" has ALL the pre-installed POIs encrypted in it.
You can just leave it as it is, but if you want to get rid of it so you don't get two sets of Petrol stations at the same time you can just delete the poi.dat file(or you could just rename it, something like "poi.old", so it's still there if you ever want it again).
You don't need POIEdit or anything else to do that, just plain old Windows Explorer.

All the POIs you add will be in ".ov2" format (along with a matching ".bmp" picture for the icon, and an optional ".ogg" sound file (usually for the cameras)).
Again, you can just copy and paste these between your Go and your PC using normal Windows file copy methods.

What POIEdit and similar programs ARE good for is editing the contents of POI files more easily than on the Go, and for merging several POI categories together (such as if you had individual petrol companies files and you wanted to make one big "Petrol" category).
DingleRoad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks very much , I've removed the preinstalled POI file using my card reader and pasted all the seperate petrol stations which works a treat ! Can't decide whether to have them all as seperate or just one fuel catorgary ... but that's only a minor point. Then I'll download other poi's as and when I need them. Do you know what the max amount of poi's you can have on a 510 ? :D
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 100 i believe, the ones in the poi.dat are not included in that 100, just the number of OV2 files in the map folder.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TTG 510 petrol station POI's Reply with quote

DingleRoad wrote:
The speed cameras work great and came already installed

Am I seeing things? Tom Tom's preinstalled Speed cameras? Have you driven anywhere yet?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DingleRoad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TTG 510 petrol station POI's Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
DingleRoad wrote:

Am I seeing things? Tom Tom's preinstalled Speed cameras? Have you driven anywhere yet?

Don't do that many miles, but the updates come through regularly and have'nt been past one that has'nt shown up as a warning yet and the positions seem fairly accurate....but obviously I stand to be corrected !
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: TTG 510 petrol station POI's Reply with quote

DingleRoad wrote:
DennisN wrote:
DingleRoad wrote:

Don't do that many miles, but the updates come through regularly and have'nt been past one that has'nt shown up as a warning yet and the positions seem fairly accurate....but obviously I stand to be corrected !
Please tell us more - seriously. Everybody I "know" on this site thinks very badly of the TT cameras, yet you sound enthusiastic. What's this about regular updates and accuracy? How do you get updates? How often do you get updates? How much is it costing you? How many cameras are there and how many camera types are there? Mobiles? Temporary roadworks? Variable speeds? Redlights? Do they tell you the camera speed?

I tried the preinstalled TT cameras when I got a new device and as an existing user of the cameras from here, was completely unimpressed by the TT offerings in comparison, so all my "knowledge" of TT cameras is anecdotal - we never seem to get the information I've asked you for. Review what you get and see how it compares with what I have ....

Fixed Cameras display an icon on my screen, at a distance in advance which I have decided and which I can change if I want to. The icon tells me the speed limit of that particular camera. I also get told (by a nice lady called Liz and preceded by a submarine diving alarm siren to get my attention!) there's a speed camera ahead and what speed it is.
Average Speed Cameras Icon (different) and spoken warning as above, except she tells me it's an average speed camera zone, not just fixed.
Variable Speed Cameras (e.g. M25) Icon (different) and spoken warning as above, but without the speed limit because she doesn't know it.
Temporary Roadworks Cameras Icon (different) and spoken warning as above, but without a speed limit.
Mobile Cameras Icon (different) and spoken warning as above, but saying it's a mobile camera site (because there won't necessarily be a camnera van there at the time - he may be catching you somewhere else instead of me here).
Redlight Cameras Icon (different) and spoken warning as above, but just that it's a redlight camera.
All of the above were re-issued in an update on 18th April, the previous issue being dated 5th April.
"There are a total of 10,775 verified cameras in the database and 1,171 unverified mobile sites (total combined: 11,946). 3,880 Gatso/Monitron/Truvelo, 5,669 Mobiles, 12 Temporary, 212 Specs and 1,002 Redlight Cameras."
It costs £19 a year (or £2 a month) to subscribe to the membership of the site, including the cameras.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must admit, I'd missed DingleRoad's bit about the speed cameras being "pre-installed" or I'd have given the ones from here a quick plug too.

The main thing is that the TT ones don't warn of mobile camera sites and there's a lot more of those than fixed ones.
DingleRoad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok perhaps I ought to delete the TT speed cameras and sign up to the ones from Pocket gps !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: