Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Aytobe- Speedcams and other POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Aytobe- Speedcams and other POIs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few button mapping progs but the only one Ive managed to get running is AEButtonPlus. I havent had time to get it to do what it says on the tin yet though.
Bluewiz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from a long (160 mile) trip using the Aytobe and was a little dissapointed with the routing. Despite being told to find the quickest route, it found a route I know not to be the quickest, and when I forced it to recalculate (eventually!) by going the quicker way, the ETA shown was 20 mins less than the original route chosen by the Aytobe. Same thing happened with the return route so it wasn't a fluke...

Is this why calculation of routes seems to be quick - it just doesn't do enough calculations to find the "optimal" route? Not sure I can trust it now - not such a bargain if it doesn't work well....

Also, the ETA is in GMT and there is no way to correct for summertime that I have found.....
Bluewiz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fordfocus"]
widu wrote:
portman wrote:
Another option if you want Tomtom 6 and a PDA is this PH one for £128.

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=143354

That's a better deal than the A2B...I've ordered one Exclamation Thanks for the link :D

Just went to the Expansys site and this is no longer available. I ordered one on Tuesday, and they are waiting for stock. Perhaps the deal was just too hot?!?!!?! It will be even hotter if I manage to get the extra £30 cashback (thanks for that Portman.....)
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluewiz wrote:
Just got back from a long (160 mile) trip using the Aytobe and was a little dissapointed with the routing. Despite being told to find the quickest route, it found a route I know not to be the quickest, and when I forced it to recalculate (eventually!) by going the quicker way, the ETA shown was 20 mins less than the original route chosen by the Aytobe. Same thing happened with the return route so it wasn't a fluke...

I've found that the native routing doesn't always provide the routes I would necessarily take - it is consistent with it's routing, though, and I have compared it side-by-side with my wife's TT510 - but only for one journey.

Bluewiz wrote:
Is this why calculation of routes seems to be quick - it just doesn't do enough calculations to find the "optimal" route?

I don't honestly think that's something anybody here could really know.

Bluewiz wrote:
re I can trust it now - not such a bargain if it doesn't work well....

I've found it's routing to be fine - in fact for the journeys I've done, it's provided the same initial routes that TT6 does, when my AYTOBE is running TT6 rather than it's native smart2go routing software.

The one thing I have found, though, when using the AYTOBE's native routing (smart2go) as opposed to when it's running TT6 - on routes I drive every day, quite often sat navs will direct me on an alternative set of motoways. As an example, my Garmin i3 will typically take me on the route I prefer - but on occasion (which was one of my bugbears with my i3, will calculate the other route - so not particularly consistent). My AYTOBE natively calculates the alternative route - as it does when running TT6.

However, when running smart2go, the AYTOBE spends longer trying to route me back on the original route, when I've deviated and took my preferred route, than it does when running TT6. When it's running TT6, as soon as I've not taken the turn off for another motorway and route, it re-calculates my preferred route. When running smart2go, it tries a couple more motorway junctions to actually go back on myself and take the alternative, before re-calculating my preferred route. It does the same thing in two different scenarios.

So perhaps that's indicative of why recalculating is so swift - initially it probably attempts to get you back on the main route, then after a point, it sees sense and totally recalculates. When running TT6, that re-calculation point seems smarter.

Bluewiz wrote:
Also, the ETA is in GMT and there is no way to correct for summertime that I have found.....

Well what I did initially using the AYTOBE's native settings, was set the timezone to be GMT+1, but when hacking with the unit, and getting access to the native WinCE operating system, you can set automatic daylight savings settings in control panel - and that is honoured by both the smart2go software, and TT6
Bluewiz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
Bluewiz wrote:

I've found that the native routing doesn't always provide the routes I would necessarily take - it is consistent with it's routing, though, and I have compared it side-by-side with my wife's TT510 - but only for one journey.

Bluewiz wrote:
Is this why calculation of routes seems to be quick - it just doesn't do enough calculations to find the "optimal" route?

I don't honestly think that's something anybody here could really know.

Bluewiz wrote:
re I can trust it now - not such a bargain if it doesn't work well....

I've found it's routing to be fine - in fact for the journeys I've done, it's provided the same initial routes that TT6 does, when my AYTOBE is running TT6 rather than it's native smart2go routing software.

The one thing I have found, though, when using the AYTOBE's native routing (smart2go) as opposed to when it's running TT6 - on routes I drive every day, quite often sat navs will direct me on an alternative set of motoways. As an example, my Garmin i3 will typically take me on the route I prefer - but on occasion (which was one of my bugbears with my i3, will calculate the other route - so not particularly consistent). My AYTOBE natively calculates the alternative route - as it does when running TT6.

However, when running smart2go, the AYTOBE spends longer trying to route me back on the original route, when I've deviated and took my preferred route, than it does when running TT6. When it's running TT6, as soon as I've not taken the turn off for another motorway and route, it re-calculates my preferred route. When running smart2go, it tries a couple more motorway junctions to actually go back on myself and take the alternative, before re-calculating my preferred route. It does the same thing in two different scenarios.

So perhaps that's indicative of why recalculating is so swift - initially it probably attempts to get you back on the main route, then after a point, it sees sense and totally recalculates. When running TT6, that re-calculation point seems smarter.

Bluewiz wrote:

Well what I did initially using the AYTOBE's native settings, was set the timezone to be GMT+1, but when hacking with the unit, and getting access to the native WinCE operating system, you can set automatic daylight savings settings in control panel - and that is honoured by both the smart2go software, and TT6

Lester,

I also found the issue with the recalculation - it tried very hard and creatively to send you back onto the same route. This caused me problems when I left the motorway to try and get around an accident and if I'd listened to the Aytobe I would have been going around in circles. It tried to send me back persistently, even the distance to the next junction was shorter than the one I left.

I also used the GMT+1 workaround for ETA. For one, I don't want to spend all my time "hacking" to make things work. I was initially impressed how simple it was to use - out of the box, switch it on, postcode in and off we go - great!!! But it really does need some basic functions in the menu, and Summertime settings is one. I can live with that for the price, as long as it works OK 0 it will certainly get you from A-to-B, even if the route is less than perfect. One way around this might be to recalculate the route at steps along the way so that it processes less data - it seems much better for short routes than long ones.

As for the mapping software, I must be one of the few that have never used TomTom, but this is certainly not as good as my Navman Pin 570 was - shame that was such a lousy GPS unit 'cause the mapping was perfect.
ejr1039
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bluewiz"]
fordfocus wrote:
widu wrote:
portman wrote:

That's a better deal than the A2B...I've ordered one Exclamation Thanks for the link :D

Just went to the Expansys site and this is no longer available. I ordered one on Tuesday, and they are waiting for stock. Perhaps the deal was just too hot?!?!!?! It will be even hotter if I manage to get the extra £30 cashback (thanks for that Portman.....)
Has anybody recieved an iPaq from expansys.
ejr
ejr1039
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bluewiz"]
fordfocus wrote:
widu wrote:
portman wrote:

I ordered one on Tuesday as well, just hope they honour the orders they have taken.
ejr
fordfocus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ejr1039"]
Bluewiz wrote:
fordfocus wrote:
widu wrote:
portman wrote:

I ordered one on Tuesday as well, just hope they honour the orders they have taken.
ejr

I phoned up Expansys today as their website now says "product unavailable", and got concerned as I ordered one on the 30 April.
I was told that the product has been suspended due to a lot of backorders and supplies being a week late.
I asked if all the backorders would be covered by the awaited delivery, and was told yes, all current backorders would be covered by the awaited delivery.
Just a question of sitting back and waiting, but, glad I ordered one as it is a LOT cheaper than anywhere else.
ejr1039
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fordfocus"]
ejr1039 wrote:
Bluewiz wrote:
fordfocus wrote:
widu wrote:
portman wrote:

ejr

I phoned up Expansys today as their website now says "product unavailable", and got concerned as I ordered one on the 30 April.
I was told that the product has been suspended due to a lot of backorders and supplies being a week late.
I asked if all the backorders would be covered by the awaited delivery, and was told yes, all current backorders would be covered by the awaited delivery.
Just a question of sitting back and waiting, but, glad I ordered one as it is a LOT cheaper than anywhere else.
Thanks for that, I e-mailed them and they said they had no info on stock levels, but would e-mail when they knew more, can't wait to get my hands on it. I find it hard to understand how some are asking over £300 and still charge postage.
ejr.
jpskiller
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: TT6 Novice Reply with quote

I am a Complete novice and new to GPS but I have just bought one of these and would like to try TT6 on it, I have the software but not much of a clue, could someone who has managed to get it fully working inc. Postcodes PM me with HOW, I would be very grateful so I could then try for my self.
Retromax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TT6 Novice Reply with quote

jpskiller wrote:
I am a Complete novice and new to GPS but I have just bought one of these and would like to try TT6 on it, I have the software but not much of a clue, could someone who has managed to get it fully working inc. Postcodes PM me with HOW, I would be very grateful so I could then try for my self.

Try an Activ sync restore with the my backup file i posted earlier, if this runs windows ce etc I'll talk you through how i did mine, yes fully working tt6.

you can always switch the unit off at the bottom to perform a hard reset to put things back to normal
bigdavep
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, well I picked up my new aytobe from Maplin's today and have been playing around with it. I've successfully goto it loading to the desktop with the start bar and running the keyboard program and registry editor.

However, after a few hours of trying to get it to install and run Process Explorer, GPS Speed Sentry and a Solitair game I have given up for the night as each time i try to run any of these programs (whether I install them to the flash_storage directory, mmc_storage directory, or anywhere else on the unit I just get the following error

"Cannot find '(pe/gps sentry/patience)' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available"

Please can someone help guide me though how to install these apps correctly as i've read through each post here and no one actually says how they installed it to get it working, and the documentation for the above apps is useless when it comes to installation or troubleshooting.

I even tried that guys backup file which he posted a few pages back, PE worked but the new media player and speed sentry still gave the same message.

Kind Regards

Dave
Mike1963
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just install the program as normal, ie run the file from your pc and install to MMC, put aygshell.dll in the same dir and that should be it. Some progs can just be transferred onto the A2B and they work without anything else. I havent installed TT yet, been too busy.
Retromax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdavep wrote:
right, well I picked up my new aytobe from Maplin's today and have been playing around with it. I've successfully goto it loading to the desktop with the start bar and running the keyboard program and registry editor.

However, after a few hours of trying to get it to install and run Process Explorer, GPS Speed Sentry and a Solitair game I have given up for the night as each time i try to run any of these programs (whether I install them to the flash_storage directory, mmc_storage directory, or anywhere else on the unit I just get the following error

"Cannot find '(pe/gps sentry/patience)' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available"

Please can someone help guide me though how to install these apps correctly as i've read through each post here and no one actually says how they installed it to get it working, and the documentation for the above apps is useless when it comes to installation or troubleshooting.

I even tried that guys backup file which he posted a few pages back, PE worked but the new media player and speed sentry still gave the same message.

Kind Regards

Dave

download this:-
http://rapidshare.com/files/29405315/ExecutabilityCheck.zip

I've put it on rapidshare because i can't remember where i got it from but it's free anyway.

unzip it and place the folder on your memory card, browse to the arm folder and run the ExecutabilityCheck.exe
It will ask you to browse for the file you are wanting to run (the one which says cant find missing files etc) select the file and it will tell you which .dll files are missing!

download the .dll's needed :-
http://hpcmonex.net/izemize.htm
and place them in the same directory as the program and it should work!
Retromax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also here:-
http://rapidshare.com/files/29406951/PLAYER.zip

Is the last free version they made of the TCMP player, download it and unzip it then place it on your memory card (i have a folder on there called "Program files")
then just run the Player.exe file and it should work fine!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 11 of 20

Jump to: