Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Aytobe- Speedcams and other POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Aytobe- Speedcams and other POIs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further feedback on the AYTOBE after doing a journey, compared side-by-side with my wife's TT 510.

Routing was identical to the 510 - no suprise, there, uses the same maps. Recalculation seemed actually more seamless and quicker on the AYTOBE - this was notable.

Map view was very similar, sometimes favouring the AYTOBE sometimes favouring the TT510 - but similar screen sizes and orientation. The TT510 seemed to have he upper hand in better use of dynamic zoom. And in some cases of large, complex rounadbouts, the TT510 presented a clearer view of the junctions.

As to screen updates and any lag - I couldn't see any difference between the AYTOBE or TT510 - certainly on a par, there.

As a generalism, though, the AYTOBE compared very well with a TT510 over this one journey. The route calculation was swift, and deviating from the route, IMO, was dealt with better on the AYTOBE.

I'm happy with it - especially for £93, and will be keeping it. The bulk loading of POIs / speed camera data is a downside at the moment, but really thinking about it, it isn't that critical to me at the moment, and I can still use my i3 for routes or locations where I do want that safety cushion.
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Failed After Five Days Reply with quote

I got my aytobe last Tuesday.

Today I tried to use it for my second car journey - it failed Embarassed

Unit was stuck showing home location and 3 sats.

After switching it off and back on it says "No GPS device" on the display after where it normally shows number of GPS Sats.

Tried reloading maps from backup CD but no change.

P.S. How many channels is it? Most I got before death was nine.

Also if you are bored do a search for city ASHFORD

You will see it has moved from Kent into Sussex Laughing

I assume my only option will be to arrange a return to Maplins?

HummerUK
darryn_pmr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just purchaced on of these units from Maplins today. The only reason I got it was because the unit runs WinCE Smile

After an hour, I have managed to install TomTom v6 and UK & Euro maps. It's not too easy but it can be done. You need to hack around with the TomTom installation quite a bit, but it works perfectly!!!

None of the firmware is played with, it's just a matter of swapping out the old nav software with a modified TomTom for CE.

I haven't read all of your posts, but I think this solution would sort out the POI issue.

If anyone needs more info, I'll see what I can do. I didn't document the procedure but most of it is self explanitory.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To darryn_pmr:

Personally I'm not overly expert with WinCE devices, so any info or steps on doing this would be appreciated. Given the maps are the same (TT and AYTOBE) is the cost incurred just the copy of TT for WinCE?

And taking an ActiveSync backup, is that good enough to be able to restore the AYTOBE to it's config and operation before applying TT software to the unit?
widu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryn- you have PM before mine goes back Mon.
darryn_pmr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, to start with. The nav software is only installed to the SD card so the changes I made are not warrantee voiding. I didn't have a spare SD to hand so I backed up the 512 one that came with thte unit.

Trick one is to install TomTom. The Aytobe doesn't allow SD autobooting installs as far as I can tell so you need to have a file stucture that is sorta the same as the old software on the card.

The nav icon on the main screen is simply a shortcut to a predefined file: \MMC_Storage\MobileNavigator\MobileNavigator.exe So thats the target, to install TT with the main Navigator.exe renamed to MobileNavigator.exe and in that location above too.

The next thing you need is the SD card version of TT backed up. This need to incude the program directory where the main .exe file exists.

Now, blow all of TT onto a new card, and create a folder on the card named MobileNavigator

Move the Navigator.exe (TT) to \MMC_Storage\MobileNavigator\ and rename it MobileNavigator.exe

Now fire up the unit and click your Nav icon. You should see the TT splash screen. Go into preferences and restore factory defaults (or whatever that icon is), answer all the questions and close the application.

Now move the contents of the folder \MMC_Storage\voices\ to \MMC_Storage\MobileNavigator\voices\

Now fire up the unit again, and check you can select the UK voice.

That should be it really. O and BTW, the GPS config for this unit is: Other NEMA 9600 Baud Com2 (I think it's that, the wife has off with the unit!)

If anything is missing please PM me Wink
happyhkv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darryn_pmr wrote:

After an hour, I have managed to install TomTom v6 and UK & Euro maps. It's not too easy but it can be done. You need to hack around with the TomTom installation quite a bit, but it works perfectly!!!

Hi, can the same be done to install TomTom v5?
darryn_pmr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V5? Probably, I can't see why not.

One other thing, I did get TT Home woking also, but the directories are a bit screwed up.
gps-boj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried with tomtom5 but when chosing the mao comes up with a fatel exception in access the mp. any ideas?
widu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got the Guam map installed?
gps-boj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

???????????????

is that a comment on my spelling :-)
gps-boj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got TT5 working Ok

set GPS up as

Other Cable NMEA GPS
GPS baud Rate 9600
Serial Cable on SP2:

also you can have both atobe and tomtom on the same card, but need to change the autorun program on the flash_storage (via active sync) to:-

navigation = \MMC_Storage\TomTom Navigator\TomTom Navigator.exe

to use aytobe change back to

navigation = \MMC_Storage\MobileNavigator\MobileNavigator.exe.

Just need to know now how to change the autorun program to choose between the two - anyone any clues??
darryn_pmr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud, Guam, sounds like a herb or something. I've seen the Guam folder on other distros but it isn't on mine.

Please everyone, hang on until tomorrow night. I'm still working on a few glitches as we speak (the audio directions are working, but sometimes require a hard reboot). I have another unit ready for installation, but I'm going to install TTv6 on a generic WinCE unit to see how the installer works (remember I am doing a manual install)

I have a few files to be installed on the units internal mem (Windows folder) that the installer wishes to write that have to be verified yet. I want this to work in less than 10 steps, I may have a go at writing my own installer if it gets to complex.

I will keep you updated on the progress but it's going to take some time as you will need documentation.

Still, it's a cheap TT for £99 :P

BTW, today it's navigated my wife to Warrington from Liverpool just fine, and my holiday to the Netherlands routed in less than 20 seconds! The POI's for speed cameras and speed limits of roads worked 100%
darryn_pmr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ gps-boj

Nice to see you have it working!
gps-boj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

did change the autorun to this, pressed the music, the mp3 player flicked on, then it went to tomtom. came out of Tomtom, hit navigation and got aytobe.

navigation = \MMC_Storage\MobileNavigator\MobileNavigator.exe
music = \MMC_Storage\TomTom Navigator\TomTom Navigator.exe

IT only worked the once , cant get to to work again.... back to the drawing board.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 2 of 20

Jump to: