Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Camera Type
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Camera Type

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: New Camera Type Reply with quote

MaFt won't be pleased about this, but this morning about 1115 I was on my back from Dover and I saw what was to me 2 new camera types. As you can see below, I DONT think they are speed cameras. Both in Kent police area M25 between M26 and Clacketts services.

First type was on the M25, second or third overbridge from the M26 heading west. They consist of a single small cylinder next to a small oblong box, neither shape looking exactly like anything I've seen before. There was one above each lane, and appeared to be hanging from the TOP of the overbridge guardrail on 3 arms, 2 at the top and one at the bottom. both arms and units were painted silver. about 6/700 yds further on there is a service road gate, and in there was 2/3 police bikes and 2 cars.

I dont think they were speed cameras because (a) the colour, and (b) I was travelling at approx 73/75, and as I passed the cameras I was overtaken by somebody who must have been doing at least 90, and there was no response from the police.

The second was about a mile or two further on on the Eastbound carrigway. First I saw 3 cars and a bike ON THE HARDSHOULDER. These had a late model saloon between them with a buisness man type getting back in. A bit further on on the next overbridge, there was a highroof LDV/Sprinter type van in police livery, but not as far as I could tell safety camera type, with what I can only describe as a very large streamlined white box mounted on a pole on the roof. I didn't get a good look at this as it was semi concealed almost off the overbridge.

No idea what they were, but I pass myobservations for waht it's worth.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an ANPR system looking for illegal cars - every credit and there should be more of them to be honest - Mike
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you're right Mike, I only posted because they were new to me, and if somebody could confirm they were APNR it might save MaFt some more mobile headaches. The fact that two new different camera types were in operation on adjacent sites mat mean they were on trial.

I'm concerned that the Eastbound police appreared to be operating from the hardshoulder though, for whatever reason.

Malcolm
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like anpr - did they look like these:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras#anpr

MaFt
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

MaFt

That's the whole point MaFt, they didn't look like anything I I've seen before. The description I gave is fairly accurate, ie one cylinder and one box close next to each other, not seperated like variable speed cameras. They also appeared to be fairly small.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
MaFt wrote:

MaFt

That's the whole point MaFt, they didn't look like anything I I've seen before. The description I gave is fairly accurate, ie one cylinder and one box close next to each other, not seperated like variable speed cameras. They also appeared to be fairly small.

similar to this but this has 4 cylinders and 2 boxes:

?

hence why i thought it sounded like anpr
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like them MaFt. As I said in my first post, I'm sure they're some sort of ANPR, but they appeared to be much smaller, home hifi appearence rather than industrial, cylinder and box were almost touching, and they didn't seem to have any form of sun hood. If they breed I'm sure you'll be able to add to your unverified mobile section soon Smile

BTW do you want site comments (as distinct from camera sitings) on unverified sites?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:

BTW do you want site comments (as distinct from camera sitings) on unverified sites?

yes please, anything that can help!!

MaFt
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel on that bit of the M25 all the time and they are indeed ANPR systems because you see the police go tearing off after people and invariably when they catch them they are old bangers or vans that clearly have no tax / insurance or both ( they are'nt capable of speeding most of them ).
What the police normally do is set up their equipment on the bridge that goes between the East and Westbound services at Clacket Lane.
In the past they have had a van stationed up on this overbridge and the ANPR cameras have been set up , one above each carriageway on a tripod setup.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: