Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GTM-12 reception
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GTM-12 reception

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: GTM-12 reception Reply with quote

I used to own two Nuvi 660's and in the two months I had the units I got about 10 minutes traffic info on the M27 in Portsmouth. This was, of course, using the GTM-21.
I now own a Nuvi 360T with the GTM-12 and have had travel info on my unit almost every time I've looked at it. Apart from Sainsbury's car park in Fareham today!
When I first connected up the Nuvi, it downloaded a GTM update. Has this made the difference? Or am I just lucky?
Doug
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people believe the GTM12 is slightly better at receiving traffic than the GTM21, although they are both based on the same hardware (but aerial positions and interference all play a part). Over the last couple of weeks Garmin have released a couple of GTM firmware updates aimed at working on the UK reception problems, although I believe there is still at least 1 more new firmware still to be released.
noseboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what the new firmware is supposed to do, specifically?

Noseboy, hoping that the answer is 'fix all the traffic problems and bring about world peace'
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean v4.2, then no, I do not have any specific information on what will be contained in the next firmware, only that one is due soon.
Harveyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live right beside Portsmouth and apart from that firmware cockup in January have always had ok reception in Portsmouth with the GTM21, bit patchy around central Southsea and not much use with the predictable congestion in Portsmouth, but certainly by the time I've passed the Rudmore roundabout and am on the M275 the traffic has started rolling in. I've never had any problems along the M27 in either direction.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How strange! I got traffic from junction 12 and a little way up the A3(M). Apart from that, nothing. Today I got traffic but nothing on the A32 Gosport to Fareham roadworks and the subsequent holdups. Must be a bit selective!
Doug
Harveyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, isn't J12 where the M275 joins the M27? I stayed in Southsea last night and coming out the M275 onto the M27 I did my usual commute all the way up the A3 to Heathrow and traffic kicked in at the Bridge Centre Asda, Holbrook Road I think. Apart from the usual Hindhead drop out AFAICT it stayed with me to Heathrow. For yours to drop the signal so soon seems odd and must be infuriating. Must be antenna routing or maybe different cars. Dunno.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it normal for the nearest traffic info on your screen to be about 19 miles away from where you are sitting which happens to be in a massive traffic jam? I am getting traffic info but nothing around where I live. What's the point of knowing what's happening on the M6 when I'm just outside
Portsmouth!!
Doug
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this seems to be a local thread i'll add my piece. Have used the GTM 10/12 and 21 in the same area. The GTM 21(with C510D) struggled, virtually useless infact, but it was difficult to know if it was the gps which locked up or the GTM21, so it went back. The GTM 12 with the Nuvi is fine in my car, but useless in the picasso for some reason! Now have the GTM 10 permanantly fitted in the picasso and find that its very rarely without traffic.

As far as traffic info goes its quite normal to not get info locally, quite often the nearest traffic i get is up by the M25. Maybe the sensors in Portsmouth and the A32 Gosport/Fareham area are setup not to react until you've been stuck for at least half an hour, as thats normal!!!
Harveyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If whoever is providing the traffic info either doesn't pick up on the local traffic quickly enough then you're going to see the nearest traffic be that 19 miles way or up the A6. The unit is passive and displays what it's told. Mine invariably has the delay from Liphook to Hindhead, the bottom of the M3, the A34 and the numerous M25 incidents. Drove up from home to the Lakes yesterday and the machine correctly identified all the diffs on the M6 in both directions. It also successfully routed me past the J15/16 incident. I think that the signal went just south of Preston.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, I obviously need to move further North! Bit drastic though, don't you reckon!
Obviously the poor people who live in Gosport/Portsmouth can't afford a GPS system which is why they have not invested in the technology down here.
Doug
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
The GTM 12 with the Nuvi is fine in my car, but useless in the picasso for some reason!
The Picasso is likely to have an athermic (heat reflecting) windscreen - this also reflects GPS and radio signals too, will will make getting a signal from the GTM12 even more difficult than on a normal day.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have previosuly commented that I was unable to obtain traffic data on the M32 near Bristol ( Nuvi 310D with GTM12) but since loading the latest firmware find I instantly get a signal now and am rarely without one (at least as far as I am aware!)
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: It works! Reply with quote

Blimey, got my first real traffic warning today on a route from Gosport to Reading!! Got the Triangle on the screen and rerouted around the problem!! Absolutely stunned!! It does work....
Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: