Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NAVMAN - POST CODE SEARCH
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NAVMAN - POST CODE SEARCH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danyalm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: NAVMAN - POST CODE SEARCH Reply with quote

Just purchased a Navman N40i.

Am relatively new to GPS devices but I bought the Navman partly because of the 8 digit post code functionality. However, I was disappointed to discover that when entering a post code I do not get the correct location in the road. Sometimes I actually get the wrong road.

So far I have checked the post codes of around 15 addresses I know – and the Navman has not yet returned the correct part of the road. Now I realise that a single post code often covers more than one property. However, if I enter the road and house number of a known address I get the wrong post code! In fact, when I enter my own post code it shows it as being in the road around the corner.

What is the point of a full post code search that takes you to a specific part of a road when it is the wrong part of that road? It might as well just direct you to the road only and let you find the number yourself.

Am I missing something here or are other people finding this post code problem?
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I find this on mine, and it is a fault with the tele-atlas maping. I have also noticed that occationally a post code on my Navman will show a range of house numbers for a single postcode.

You could inform tele-atlas of the faults which they may put right on one of thier future releases. Confused

I think however that the inaccurasies are not too far out as a post code will normally put you within 30 meters of a property as opposed to miles. Half postcodes only direct you to entire areas. So it is ease of use not accurasy.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Navman F20 that I got a few days ago , when I enter in my postcode it does take me to my road but it takes me to number 23 when I live at number 5.
I do know that a full postcode covers about 15 houses or so but I thought that you put in the full postcode and then you got the opportunity to enter in the door number after that ( knowing that the postcode has taken you to the correct street name already ).
It is a little annoying but I can live with it I suppose.
I presume the Tomtom / Garmin Navs. do the same....... don't they ?
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the TT you enter the post code and it then lists a street or streets with the same postcode - you choose the street you want and it then asks for the number on that street.

It then gives you a range of numbers to enter eg 2 to 24 - it won't let you enter a number outside this range. If you don't know the number then you can enter a number within the range and it will then calculate your route.

TT1v3 6.560 1713 UK&NI 660.1199
TTG700 6.520 1387 MoWE 660.1219
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the Tomtom does a postcode search does make more sense.
I think the Navman 8 digit postcode search still needs a little bit of fine tuning................... Too bl#@dy late now , I've bought the thing.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: