Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best hands-free calling?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best hands-free calling?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonychang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Best hands-free calling? Reply with quote

My friend has seen my satnav and now wants one but he also wants one that would work with a hands-free car kit.
A quick search of the internet tells me you can use your satnav as a hands free kit aswell.....so I want to know which is the best one and the best value for money.
I like the tomtom one as I work as a car delivery driver and as alot of my colleagues are old they seem to favour this for its simplicity and good value but it does not appear to support hands free. Personally I use a PDA as I am more tech savvy.I will probably tell him to get the Go710 but was hoping any of you guys had any other suggestions and any pros/cons of the Go710 (I wonder if it is a bit dated and should he wait for the Duo).
Thanks in advance,
t.c.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct the TomTom One does not offer the "Hands Free", but the TomTom Go-x10 devices certainly do provide handsfree capability for compatible mobile phones, some phones even display SMS text message via the x10 devices (the 910 can read them out to you!)

The inbuilt microphone is near to useless, so you need to use an external microphone, my 910 came supplied with this in the box - loads of cable to route the tiny mic to where you need it.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the Duo device though, the chances are it will be factory fit, looking at the size of the unit (double DIN) it won't even fit many cars without hacking the dashboard.

Just be aware of the phone compatibility otherwise you may find you need a new phone to work with the TomTom device - not all phones work, some offer more functionality than others, if in doubt check the suitable phone list on the TomTom web site by clicking This Link, it will take a while to load, its a long list) - Mike
tonychang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the prompt reply Mike, especially about the SMS display stuff, he'll love that!
Does it display who is calling aswell as wants to be able to screen his calls?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if the contact is known, the device can store the phone book, again this depends on compatibility with the phone, but you can create a phone book manually if required and install the file to the Go device if the phone doesn't want to support this mode - Mike
tonychang
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he has just texted me, and sadly he has a nokia e50 which does not appear to be tomtom compatible though he wil probably change his phone if necessary
jonathanstacey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Nuvi 310 and a Sony Ericsson W850i and they work great together. Address book works fine, voice dialling a bonus but the weirdest thing I'm yet to understand.....text messaging!
Texts are great if your stationary and you've left your phone in your pocket on the backseat, but while you're driving.....come on...someone was having a laugh when they added that feature! :D
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathanstacey wrote:
I've got a Nuvi 310 and a Sony Ericsson W850i and they work great together. Address book works fine, voice dialling a bonus but the weirdest thing I'm yet to understand.....text messaging!
Texts are great if your stationary and you've left your phone in your pocket on the backseat, but while you're driving.....come on...someone was having a laugh when they added that feature! :D

My 910 reads the text messages out to me with the computer simulated voice that sounds like a human not a.... computer, so its great for that. But i dont think anyone in there right mind would try to send a message via it while driving, that is just plain stupid. Besides my Mota V3 doesn't support message sending via the 910 anyway so.....
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he has a nokia e50

Just select Nokia N73,it will work.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: