Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: InfoMap Navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: InfoMap Navigator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of an upcoming review of version 4 from PocketGPSWorld, Dave?

At least this is one SatNav product that recognises the M6 Toll, but there is already a patch just out to fix problems with win9x computers. Sad
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a review will be on it's way soon, can't commit to a release date yet though.
ts86net
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: London Congestion Charge? Reply with quote

I've got the latest v4 Europe (v4.0.6). Does this version recognise the London Congestion Charge, and if so how do I configure the program to avoid it or whatever??

I did a route the other day from N.W. London (where I live) to the coast in Kent, and it figured out to go through the congestion charge. I, personanlly, would take the M25.

Either way I need to learn quick ways of taming this piece of software. For the price, it's brilliant.

Any ideas people?

TIA.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK it doesn't recognise the congestion charge.
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the new features in V4 according to the Directions web site is 'create your own access restrictions'. Another is ' use pushpins as waypoints in routing and navigation'. I'm waiting for my copy to be delivered, but I was rather hoping that these features, badly needed in earlier Navigator versions, would fix the kind of issue raised by ts86net.
ts86net
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

I read of similar features to. "access restrictions" are probably possible, but it doesn't appear straight forward.

Reading the manual requires time! I'll have a go later...

Thanks again, T.
Zuke
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, ts86net, it's not that straightforward. My upgrade has arrived now, and to quote from the manual:
Quote:
Close for routing
If you right click over a street you can prohibit routing through it. To enable it again got the
user object list. In the closed roads sections you will see a list of all prohibit roads. To reenable
it for use in routing right click on it and select Delete.

You actually select 'Routing' when you right-click, then 'Close for routing'. So you can block off individual roads (or sections, if it's a major road), one at a time, but it won't do what you want. It's a handy new feature though, to avoid the odd bottleneck.
Rudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Trucker (Class 1, heavy haul, Container driver) based in Birmingham & I have been using a laptop based navigation system for the past four years. The software I used 95 % of that time was Microsoft's Autoroute. The last incarnation I bought was version 5 having used versions 3 & 4 previously. Most of the criticism I have about autoroute have been addressed in v 5 i.e. rotating map, center GPS position, but my main criticism of Autoroute is the lack of spoken directions.

I have been using Infomaps Navigator 4 UK on the road for the last two months and I must say what a fantastic program it is! I rate it higher than Autoroute. Its got GPS - Satellite voice guided navigation, as you drive, Map rotation, customisable map, customisable route generation & planner, calculate fuel consumption, mileage and journey cost, monitor your position on the map, map is adjusted automatically, block road option ect. I cannot praise it highly enough! Well done the lads at infomap you have produced an Autoroute-Beater.

If I have any criticism as a Trucker, I would like to see more " Round the Ring road & in on the Primary A road" route generation/algorithm rather than "straight line" route generation you currently use. Autoroute does seem to be better at this sort of route generation at present.

Apart from Tweaking the above. What I would like to see in future versions/add-ons is, low bridge detection, weight limit detection, Congestion Charge avoidance, Scrolling itinerary showing the map as you scroll through the text, Road Speed Limit. The GPS unit packaged with the software on the www.directions.ltd.uk sit is not very good, when driving in most built-up areas and does not do the software justice. Using the software with my "Garmin Etrex" GPS unit gives rock solid navigation even in London

Well done the lads at infomap For the price I can't complain.

Rudeboy
Professor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered this product today and hope it arrives soon, can anybody tell me whether the camera database is possible to add to this?

Many thanks
ClintC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, this is my first post on the forums as previously have just been viewing the excellent advice provided by this site. Anyway, I had to register to post so here goes...

I bought Navigator 4.3 (which has been shipped as version 4.3.5) last week and have been running it on my journeys to and from work. I've now upgraded it via the website to 4.3.11. I wanted to assess it as a backup guidance system as I'm off to France this year and needed an alternative plan in case I wanted to go somewhere other than a "Major Road of Europe" using my TomTom Navigator 3.

I have the Globalsat BC307 GPS receiver as reviewed on this site and up to last week have been using it fine with my Dell Axim X5. Anyway, I've now installed the PCCard adapter that came with the BC307 into my laptop, sat the laptop on the passenger seat, connect up the external antenna and fire up the laptop (after purchasing an in-car charger for the laptop from fleabay for £15) and launch Navigator.

First impressions are that it's not intuitive software and printing off the manual from their website is a definite help. Once I eventually worked out how to get it to tell me where I wanted to go it did the job well. I think a further read of the manual is in order for me as I often find myself sat in the car before a journey (to somewhere other than home to work) fiddling about with the software to input where I want to go to and managing to make a real hash of it. I'm hoping there's a quicker solution to this within the manual but only time will tell.

Since the review on this site, it's clear that they've listened to some of the gripes and have sorted some of them out. One thing I did notice was different was there isn't an option to configure the "distance before rerouting", not that I've disabled the "Auto reroute" option as this works well and seems to do it quite quickly. Reading other comments in this thread, I don't find the software spinning around when I'm stationary, i.e. at traffic lights. Also the Navigation screen now shows the next instruction in relation to the actual turn you're going to make overlayed on the actual turn and not just a big arrow, this is a real improvement.

One irritating thing is being told to go straight on past every junction you're about to pass, this is one thing I noticed a lot when I first got the software compared to TomTom's instruction but doesn't seem to bother me so much now, perhaps I've just got used to it. Also the "distance/time to next manoevre" includes all these passing of junctions. Luckily I don't watch the screen whilst driving too much.

Things I'd like to see included in future upgrades/releases is to have more information on the Navigation screen, at the moment you have the choice of "Distance to next manoevre/destination" or "Time to next manoevre/destination", it would be nice to have both plus some other useful info, let's face it, this is on a laptop so there's plenty of room on the screen. I'd also like to see easier routing options with maybe a "quick route from where you are" option as well as the detailed option. Maybe even the ability to add favourites?

Fair play to the company though, they've produced some cost effective software here that although may need a little tweaking, does the job for a fair price. I mean I have a voice guided navigation system for UK and Europe for just £50... can't be bad. I don't know how people can compare it to Autoroute, that doesn't have a navigation system therefore isn't in the same category of software. Ok, Autoroute may show you were you are on a map via GPS but that's all the information you get.

If anyone has sussed out quicker ways of routing I'd appreciate knowing what I need to do. Maybe there is a way of adding favourites and I haven't discovered it yet, again, please let me know.

This is just my opinion.

All the best
Clint.
crscrs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad THIS IS NOT UPTO THE ALL SINGING ALL DANCING PRODUCT THAT MOST PEOPLE THINK THAT IT IS. I HAVE PERCHASED THIS PRODUCT AND IT IS NOT COMPATABLE WITH MY LAPTOP. ON ISTALLATION IT CRASHES MY SYSTEM WHEN TRYING TO INSTALL THE UK POSTCODES. I HAVE TRIED TO INSTALL ONTO A SECOND LAPTOP FROM THE SAME SOURCE WITH THE SAME RESULTS. IT IS THEREFORE USELESS AS A PRODUCT TO ME.

I HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH THE COMPANY AND HAVE MADE A REQUEST FOR A REFUND AND THEY HAVE REFUSED. IT THEREORE LOOKS THAT I HAVE NOW GOT A LEGAL FIHGT ON MY HANDS.

THINK TWICE BEFORE PERCHASE OF THIS PRODUCT
aaronj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beenusing Navigator 4 (with upgrades) for on a year now. I was a multi-drop courier and I am now a sameday courier (all over UK) No problems really apart the odd niggle.

Never lose signal in london etc using Haicom 204-s reciever.

I would also like to see it use more ring roads etc rather than taking through town centre's

AJ
dtopscribe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Navigator in its various guises for about 3 years now and I'm one of its biggest fans. Yes it has its drawbacks: try calculating the shortest route from Calais to Perpignan with a dozen waypopints to avoid tolls - you'll think it's locked up! Go away, eat a 3 course lunch, and hey presto. But I don't think any product, at any price is 100% perfect!
What's not been covered in this thread is the ability Navigator4 Professional gives you to have visual and audible warnings of speed cameras. It's a bitch to set up initially, takes an hour or so every month to update the new Pocket GPS data, but a fully functioning geopositional camera detection system for free!! What more d'you want???
I'm a same day courier covering 1500 miles a week and I'm convinced it's saved my licence and livelihood more than once.
There are a few basics which I learned the hard way:
1. RTFM! All the information you need is in the help file. It may be expertly hidden, but it is there - honest!.
2. Convert the Pocket GPS data from Excel *.CSV files to *.XLS workbooks by opening the individual CSV files then saving them as workbooks.
3. Be sure to use decimal co-ordinates (dd.dddd) when defining Coordinate system in the data import Wizard.
4. Don't forget to set the parameters for your warnings in Tools\Settings\Scout\User Objects.
5, When you've finished your labours close the programme and then re-open. It's the only way to save your settings. Nice one Directions!!!!
I also zone the temp, redlight and spec files so all my camera data is zoned - verrrrrrrrrrrrrry useful!! I used to do this by hand, but now I've automated it.
If anyone's interested, I'm 90% complete on a tutorial in PDF format
Rudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8) Directions ltd have addressed the speed camera issue, & are offering a "plus" version of Navigator 4.3 on their website, The improvements claimed include, "import databases and speed cameras,warnings of approaching objects, CarPC interface & Motorway directions" I ordered it off the directions website last night! As soon as it arrives I'll test it out over the coming week & report my findings!

Rudeboy...
Rudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8) I have been using Navigator 4.3 plus over the last week and I am very impressed, apart from doing its normal navigational stuff which has improved greatly, its use as a speed camera detector is phenomenal.

I have loaded the pocket gps speed camera database into Navigator which is displayed as graphic icons on the map, and I now have Navigator telling me the upcoming speed camera locations & camera speed at 300 yards. as well as guiding me to my destination.

Uploading the database is simple using the wizard, but you will need Microsoft's Excel to convert the camera data to .xls format. You will also need a *.bmp to *.ico converter because Navigator uses windows icons to display its graphic data. The pocket gps graphic data is supplied in .bmp format.

Well done directions, the program gets better with every release.

Rudeboy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: