Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman B2+ TMC receiver?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman B2+ TMC receiver?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Navman B2+ TMC receiver? Reply with quote

Have just seen a user manual on the Navman site for the above but can't find any information about it anywhere - is this an update to the T1 or is it something different entirely?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman B2+ TMC receiver? Reply with quote

stevem999 wrote:
Have just seen a user manual on the Navman site for the above but can't find any information about it anywhere - is this an update to the T1 or is it something different entirely?

Yes, its a Bluetooth version.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman B2+ TMC receiver? Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
stevem999 wrote:

Yes, its a Bluetooth version.

Have a look at this thread HERE
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, nowt much to add without the on-screen functionality - may as well stick with looking for a decent price T1. Talking of which, seem to recall you have one of these, how are you getting on with it. There's been so many people with so many reception problems and external aerials etc etc that it may just be a non-starter.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevem999 wrote:
Nice one, nowt much to add without the on-screen functionality - may as well stick with looking for a decent price T1. Talking of which, seem to recall you have one of these, how are you getting on with it. There's been so many people with so many reception problems and external aerials etc etc that it may just be a non-starter.

Getting on fine with it. I run into dead spots occasionally but quickly pick up the signal depending upon where I'm travelling. I look forward to using it in Europe as there is a choice of transmitting stations there unlike this country where you only have Classic FM.
My first module did not work at all, so I bought a Magmount from Maplins and a BNC to MMC connector from the States which set me back about £22 in total and it still did not work - Navman changed it for me without question. Currently it (the Magmount aerial) does not seem to make too much difference 'cos most of the time I get a good signal anyway. It should help on my Motohome when I travel as the aerial area on the windscreen is partially obscured by the cab overhang. Haven't had time to check that out yet. On balance, I am very happy with the T1.
About a week ago, I had to come home from Milton Keynes late at night and there was a holdup between Luton and the M25 and it warned me about it but I ignored it and got held up for about 1/2hr - then it warned me about a 25 min delay at the M25/A1 junction - this time I took the offered diversion thro Hatfield and avoided it.
Worth the money if you do a lot of travelling but probably not if your motoring is purely social - depends on the depth of your pocket. Wink
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that someone is having a relatively pain-free experience with it. There was some question at one time over the versions of the T1 on sale - was this cleared up?

Also, I take it you are using the supplied aerial - have you managed to hide it or do you have trails of wire all over your dash? Does it take its power from the Navman or does it need separate power (or does the Navman have to be plugged into the cigarette lighter to power it?)
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stevem999"]Good to hear that someone is having a relatively pain-free experience with it. There was some question at one time over the versions of the T1 on sale - was this cleared up?[/quote]

There were two versions - one for the 5XX range and one for the NXX range. I believe that there is only now one version which works across the ranges. I stand to be corrected, though Wink [/b]

Quote:
Also, I take it you are using the supplied aerial - have you managed to hide it or do you have trails of wire all over your dash? Does it take its power from the Navman or does it need separate power (or does the Navman have to be plugged into the cigarette lighter to power it?)

No I am using a Magmount aerial which I got from Maplins then had to buy a BNC to MMC cable from the US of A where they are a lot cheaper. That works fine and I don't really need it on my car as the supplied aerial does work OK.
The power plug supplied with the Navman now plugs into the T1 which in turn is connected to the N20 and that cable powers both units. It does look a bit like spagetti junction although most is hidden - aerial on roof close to hinge of 5th car door then down side of back seats, under carpet as far as the gear change then up to the dash. Could be better but I'm not proud ...
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there any way of distinguishing between the two versions?- don't want to find a good deal on one and find out it was because it's old stock!

Sorry, yes meant in your car so seems that the supplied aerial does work ok - seems to have a very long cable to have run it round your car like that (or did you extend it?)
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevem999 wrote:
Was there any way of distinguishing between the two versions?- don't want to find a good deal on one and find out it was because it's old stock!

Sorry, yes meant in your car so seems that the supplied aerial does work ok - seems to have a very long cable to have run it round your car like that (or did you extend it?)

Last Question first - yes, it has a long cable - sufficient to run it right round the car - must be about 2m (?).

The two models of the T1 have model numbers AA005161 & AA004089 .. If you have a look at this pretty long thread HERE you can read all about it. Wink

The T1 itself has no model number on it - it is just described as the T1. Navman at Horley say both models work on all of these models:- The iCN 530, iCN 720 and iCN 750, F20, N20, N40i, N60i. It is NOT compatible with the iCN 510, 520, 550, 570, 610, 620, 630, 635, or iCN 650.
But, I was also told that the 5161 works on these models and the 4089 only on the F & N models. So, take your choice. Wink
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - got one more slightly daft question - could you give me the approximate dimensions of the T1 unit itself? My main concern is the distance 'front to back' i.e the depth of it. My Brodit bracket may actually preclude me from using the T1 because it is so much deeper than the Navman itself. Got a feeling it may press against the dash and to fix it properly may mean the N20 having to be tilted too far upwards.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevem999 wrote:
Thanks for that - got one more slightly daft question - could you give me the approximate dimensions of the T1 unit itself? My main concern is the distance 'front to back' i.e the depth of it. My Brodit bracket may actually preclude me from using the T1 because it is so much deeper than the Navman itself. Got a feeling it may press against the dash and to fix it properly may mean the N20 having to be tilted too far upwards.

To put it into perspective, the Navman N20 is 11.8cm wide. The T1 is 8.8cm wide (excluding the power connection), it is 1.8 cm thick at its thickest point and the depth (front to back) is 6.4cm.

There is approx 1.5cm overhang of the N20 either side of the T1 when it is fitted.

This is what it looks like HERE
Stargate2006
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gee-Pee,

Still waiting to buy the B2+ from the Navman website and I have notice it has change the month to April from March date.

What is going on with the Navman anyway. Confused

Hoping it not kept changing to any month to wait Zzzzzzzzzz Out of here

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: