Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD card - Nuvi 310 - question/advice please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD card - Nuvi 310 - question/advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djben9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: SD card - Nuvi 310 - question/advice please Reply with quote

Hi guys and girls,

i think i've asked this before but:

I cant seem to get POI's onto my SD card and then show up on the Nuvi but i know the Nuvi can see the card etc.

Any ideas??

Any ideas what i should put on the card, was thinking mainly supermarkets as they are sueful to locate when out and about etc.

I know i'll have to combine the speeds cameras with any from MaFt's site??
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you connect the Nuvi to your PC, it should create two drives, eg F: and G: - the second should be the SD card - using POI Loader, tell it to load all the POIs (speed cameras and additional POIs) onto the SD card, and then these additional POIs will appear under Where To? Custom POIs.
djben9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers swing, just checked when i went to remove software safely (i assume you should always do that??, i have done so far Smile ) and the drive for me was M, but it says not ready after i use the POI loader??

Can i install them via POI loader to the card via the card reader??

is there any benefit using the card and not the Nuvi??
djben9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i uploaded POI's and a splashscreen to the SD card, via POI and drop n drag.

POI's still dont show up and cant view the jpeg on the SD card when i go to the splashscreen option Confused Confused

Could my card be knackered??, i did take it out of my old mobile phone Confused Confused
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djben9 wrote:
Can i install them via POI loader to the card via the card reader??
Yes, you can.
Quote:
is there any benefit using the card and not the Nuvi??
If you put too many POI categories (ie separate CSV files) onto the Nuvi, it will crash and no longer boot up. If these are on the SD card, you can simply remove the card and the unit will still boot up.

As for the card problems, it is possible that either Windows or the Nuvi does not like the card due to the way it's been formatted. If there is nothing valuable on the card, it might be worth formatting the card via the Nuvi (I think there is a menu option for that, but I'm not sure).
djben9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Swing, i'll look into the formatting part, sure its in the manual or someone here will know!
macnoodle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
If you put too many POI categories (ie separate CSV files) onto the Nuvi, it will crash and no longer boot up. If these are on the SD card, you can simply remove the card and the unit will still boot up.

Interesting! Is there any way to recover the device if this happens to you? Seems like something that Garmin should be mentioning in their literature...

A follow-up question: Does anyone know how many POI categories are "too many"??? Is it just separate CSV files that cause this problem, or would too may .gpx files cause the same thing???
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you follow the information Here it leads you through the solution, although you will need to contact Garmin to get the correct restore file for your unit.

The limit is 257 categories (ie separate CSV files). I think the limit is the number of categories that appear within the interface, so if the GPX is composed of multiple categories, then you'll need to count through them too, but I'm not sure (I only use a few GPX files, and they are all a single category).

I think the reason that Garmin don't mention this in their literature is that they never imagined anyone would load that many different POIs onto their units.
macnoodle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so from what I'm reading here (and in related links) is that this limit seems to be a limit on CATEGORIES. So, you can have zillions (technical term :D) of POIs, as long as they are not divided into too many categories, right?

What I'm wondering is, how do you exceed 257 categories? I guess you could download all databases available out there and that would do it, but it seems like a lot of categories... At the moment I have four categories - three GPX files (red light cameras, schools, speed cameras) and one CSV file (traffic cameras), with some associated WAV and BMP files. So, just to make sure - is it only the GPX and CSV files that count, or will any separate files add up??? (Such as the BMP and WAV files)?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As best I know, the BMP and WAV files don't count.

If you go into your Garmin unit, and select Where To? Custom POIs - count the different files (including any sub-categories you have) - that will show whether you have 4 or actually more.

If you selected every POI option from this website's POI download facility, and downloaded the Speed Zoned version of the camera database from here you would easily exceed 257 categories...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: