Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using TomTom with the CoPilot CF GPS reciever - how?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using TomTom with the CoPilot CF GPS reciever - how?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MountainGoat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Using TomTom with the CoPilot CF GPS reciever - how? Reply with quote

Please forgive my ignorance if this is not the right forum to place this question but I want to be able to use the CF GPS card supplied with CoPilot Live with TomTom 2.

I have what appears rto be a valid connection using the NEMA 0183v2 @ 4800 and selecting the card in the ports list but I cannot see any satellites. I can get a fix if I use CoPilot set up (the same NEMA setting but using serial port 4 or 7 - this is not an option using TomTom.

Has any one come across a fix.

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With The CF Card inserted, what COM Port options do you have available?

CoPilot's CF cards used to be manufactured by Pretec (see http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/copilot.php and http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/pretechwreview.php. If your receiver looks like these then we have a guide to installing and testing them here.
MountainGoat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

At the moment, all I can say is the reciever looks very similar to the one on the CoPilot 3.5 review, but instead of having a dark translucent receiver cover the cover is solid black - I would then assume that it is a Pretec GPS.

BTW The Pretect GPS link you posted appears to be dead.

Dave - at the moment I cannot tell you which ports are available (need to reinstall Nav2, but will let you know asap.
MountainGoat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Went to Pretecs website and got both 'GPSDemo' and 'GPSInfo' and using the GPSDemo program I cannot get any of the available comports (1-10) to connect to the GPS card.

I had pretty much the same using the PPC2003 software that they offer 'GPSInfo' which is viually better but results in the same - no connection & no satellites.

I am starting to wonder if the GPS receiver is locked to the software??
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you purchased CoPilot with the CF Card, then CoPilot itself would be locked to the receiver, but AFAIK everything else should still be able to talk to it.
MountainGoat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get CoPilot with the SD card (How easy is that to reinstall!!) but the way the other GPS software I have used is behaving I canot connect successfully to the CF GPS card.

AS a matter of interest I was given to expect that the CF card slot on the 2210 was COM7: last nght CoPilot connected using COM1: (I thought the port on the bottom of the iPAQ Confused ). After that,althought I haven't yet got a fix I did manage to 'see' 7 or 8 satellites using 'GPSDemo' and 'GPSInfo' (the utilities available on Pretecs website).

I am getting more and more confused by the connection lark using my iPAQ, not less.

I did email TomTom and (although, unusually, they did reply) they simply, and IMHO unhelpfully, said go see CoPilot (who, of course will be only too happy to help someone use their GPS kit with someonelse's Software.....Not!).

Confused
MountainGoat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now a happy 'Goat' Laughing Laughing Tomtom now gets a fix via the CoPilot_CF_GPS port using the Pretec CF GPS driver (not the LP).

I am now able to choose which SatNav program to use whether I need an accurate map (CoPilot) or an simpler driving safety display (TomTom)

:D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COM7 is the COM port for CF Card GPS Receivers. It can't physically connect through any other COM port as this is hard coded in the operating system........unless your Pocket PC is severely corrupted.

Using the CoPilot_CF_GPS will use COM7.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: