Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom ONE stuck on splash screen!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom ONE stuck on splash screen!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom ONE stuck on splash screen! Reply with quote

Hi,

Ive got a Tom Tom one which when it is turned on loads to the splash screen and doesnt get any further.

It has only started doing it and for no reason, I turned it off one day and all was well. The day after it wont load.

I have tried resetting it but it makes no difference.

Has anyone else has these issues.

Hope to hear from you all soon although i suspect the credit card will be getting another outing!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try holding in the reset button for 30 seconds, quite a few people have found this to work - Mike
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Try holding in the reset button for 30 seconds, quite a few people have found this to work - Mike

........and then hold the power button down for 10 seconds.
Deadonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys but none of that has made any difference.

30 second resets dont help the unit hanging.

If I hold the on button for 10 seconds I get a DOS type interface displaying the specs but it still hangs on the splash screen.

I have backed up the SD card when I first got the tom tom about 13months ago, i put this on the SD card but it still hangs on the splash screen.

I cant understand it, its not as if i have changed any settings or loaded anything extra on it lately.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next sugestion was going to be "try re-installing a back-up" but as you have tried this its not much use.
Contact TomTom and arrange for a return/ repair, this should cost less than a new unit, but you might be without the unit for a few weeks - Mike
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I've seen this behaviour was when I loaded a data.chk for the custom speedcam sounds which was the wrong version for the unit's firmware release...but you've already stated that you've changed nothing recently...points to a possible data corruption on the SD card?

Can you try another SD card in the unit from a store, or something?

Aitch
Green_ninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had this issue with my TomTom one (V1) after the battery went flat, I hadn't realised the power lead in the car had failed. Anyway when I got the unit I copied the original SD card to a 1GB one and I use this in the unit. I fully charged the unit, 4 hours with it switched oof. I then reset the unit, put the original SD card in and it started fine. switched it off, swapped the SD card for my 1GB one (no changes) and it works fine now.
46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ONE behaves like this when the battery is low. Is the car charger doing its job? Can you hook it up via a mains charger to see if it makes a difference?
Deadonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havnt got a mains charger. It seems to charge when in the car, the green light on the top lights up.

Ive had problems with it for a while, it often needed resetting but normally a good long reset under power of the car charger sorted my problems out. it never used to hang on the splash screen but simply wouldnt turn on.

I havnt got another SD card to try and dont fancy the wait of trying one.
I think im going to buy the Tom Tom one v2 and hope this is more reliable.

I certainly dont want to try another manufacturer although I probebly should. I have always liked the navigation interface of the Tom Tom's
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried re-installing the software? Either the Version it came with, or the latest.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read about this in another thread -- but haven't taken any notice until today...

I have just downloaded the latest SCams and I normally cut and paste them straight over into the relevant map on tom tom from my desktop..

today as I connected Tom-Tom Home automatically switched on and locked every thing up..

I had to use the three finger switch to turn it off...

any way I cut and pasted as normal and disconnected TOM from my computer and the power lead but noticed that the screen did not completely "switch off" still was live with a grey light..

tried all sorts to turn it off but it wouldn't go off.. so I took my SD card out and used the paper-clip and held it for a second and it went off..

put in the SD card and pressed the start button... got locked onto the Splash screen. and trying to turn off again it wouldent...

so repeated the process and (now in a panic in-case it was bust) still no joy...
took it to the car and tried it there (hopefully) didn't work so -- in the car tried the paper-clip and it was trying to reset -- with the blue screen and yellow bar going across the bottom -- eventually after three tries at resetting itself it got there... and hopefully it has sorted itself out...

I am wondering if it has ANYTHING to do with Tom-tom Home??

as it was this that seemed to "lock" it in the first place??

any ideas??
Deadonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Good News !!!

:D :D

Ive fixed it,

What I did was to download Tom Tom Home from tom toms website and connect the unit to my computer using a USB cable. Tom Tom Home automatically downloaded an update and I installed that.

Reset the unit and turned it on. All seems well.

Ive never used Tom Tom Home before, any changes ive done like install speedcamera warnings ive removed the SD card and used my card reader. If anyone else has the problems like I have had, (freezing on the splash screen) I would recommend installing the most recent update as It has worked.

The update was nothing special in its self, its put a few extra icons on the menu screens and has asked me what units I would like temperature and atmospheric pressure to be measured in despite my V1 ONE not having sensors for temp or pressure.

I would like to thank all those on the forum that have helped me.

THANKS.
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just couldn't get it to work satisfactory when copying from the PC --

So what I have done now is got a Dazzle SD card reader that plugs into the USB port --

I down load my speed cams and un zip them .. into a folder
Take the SD card from the Tom-Tom and put it into the Card Reader and then simply copy (cut and copy) them across from the PC to the card --

put the card back in to Tom and away he goes...

The Tom-Tom goes nowhere near the PC and since doing this I haven't had one "lock up " -- fingers crossed

I don't know if this is right but it works for me...
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom ONE stuck on splash screen! Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
Hi,

Ive got a Tom Tom one which when it is turned on loads to the splash screen and doesnt get any further.

It has only started doing it and for no reason, I turned it off one day and all was well. The day after it wont load.

I have tried resetting it but it makes no difference.

Has anyone else has these issues.

I had exactly the same happen today, out of the blue, and resetting had no effect.
In my case, I had made a copy of my original TT1 SD card onto a 2GB card, to give me room to load some of the excellent voice POI warnings available from this site, and I use this card for navigation. Putting the original TomTom card into the TT1, it worked OK, so I concluded that one of the files on my 2GB card had, for some reason, become corrupted. I had a backup copy of the 2GB card on my desktop, so I formatted the card and dragged and dropped the backup onto it. After that, it worked fine!
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: