Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapviewer 2.02 - Not great
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapviewer 2.02 - Not great

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legless
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Mapviewer 2.02 - Not great Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been using Mapviewer 2.02 in the UK for two months.

Hardware:

Fujitsu Loox 600
Haicom 303MMF
Garmin 12XL
Garmin Eterx Camo

Problem:

When used with the 303MMF in CF card mode Mapviewer will (without exception) lock-up. The sat count will change to "No GPS". The GPS lock indicator on the 303MMF will still be flashing but there will be nothing going on on the PDA. Time to fault will vary depending on where the maps are, and the size of the map. On SD card with large map it wont even start!

When Mapviewer is used with a serially connected GPS (12XL or CAMO) the problem happens rarely and only with very large maps but still happens!

I, personally, feel a bit ripped off (as you do) as I have no problems with other moving map software (mainly OziexplorerCE) and the 303MMF. I suspect that it's the Mapviewer memory model that is at fault.

Anyone have similar problems with Mapviewer or MapSonic?

Would someone from Michelin care to comment?

Regards
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, this is interesting. I've been doing some battery tests with 303 cards, and I've found them lockup in the same fashion when left for hours at end, the red light is still on or flashing. I wonder if there's a generic issue with 303 cards. In normal use I haven't seen an issue, but in extended use I have.
legless
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Interestingly I find no such problem :D I thought the problem might be with the 303 so I set it up and left it running (stationery I have to admit) for 40 hours and it was still working just fine. Drove down the road and it'd locked up within half a mile......not a happy camper.

Tried again using Oziexplorer ('bout 36 hours in a stationary position). This time I drove round for a couple of hours without problem.

Not conclusive, I know, but it certainly points to the Mapviewer software rather than the hardware.

As for the 303, it gets used regularly here in Aus with Oziexplorer and I've never noticed it loosing signal (other than in tunnels etc Wink ) or locking up.

MOIWYW

Regards
Jon
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably is two different problems, but I'm experiencing lockups with the 303E in my tests, the 303MMF seems to work perfectly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: