Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A Real Map on a PDA
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A Real Map on a PDA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Mullet on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Fatdave42
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On. I have had a look at the map and think that I can get away with mabey two A3 or 4 A3 to give me better overlap. I will be using the map when I am away from my computer. How easey is this software to plan a rote on it, ie, can I just mark the roat with a styles and then follow it.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatdave42 wrote:
On. I have had a look at the map and think that I can get away with mabey two A3 or 4 A3 to give me better overlap. I will be using the map when I am away from my computer. How easey is this software to plan a rote on it, ie, can I just mark the roat with a styles and then follow it.

None of these topological programs can do route calculations - they don't know anything about roads, paths etc. What you do is create a route manually by creating a series of waypoints that you have to go through. For example: when walking it would be usual to mark significant path junctions plus any features you need to get to. You then navigate this route by going through each of the waypoints in turn. This is where it is much easier to use a bog-standard hand held GPS without mapping as these are designed for this mode of use. PDAs generally don't have the battery life to do a days walking. You can transfer a series of routes to the GPS and choose which one to follow - this allows planning for multiple choice routes depending on conditions etc. Programs like Memory map and (for UK only) Anquet make all this a very simple job.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried all sorts of 'free' and 'trial' software before settling on Memory Map. I am completely happy with the product - beats all the others hands down, but it is not cheap.

One thing I questioned was spending the money, but after buying paper maps, scanning and calibration, then confirm the calibration, buying digital maps seemed very cheap to me. The hard part is the last one, it's time consuming and/or difficult to be certain it is correct.

Depending on the version of Memory Map you buy, you can also calibrate your own maps for areas they do not have coverage.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
I tried all sorts of 'free' and 'trial' software before settling on Memory Map. I am completely happy with the product - beats all the others hands down, but it is not cheap.

I agree - excellent product. I have all UK @ 1:50000 with Anquet but started buying 1:25000 Memory Map. The high cost is down, in great part, to the high license fees charged by the OSGB.
Fatdave42
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I do not think I made my self clear above. I will scann in a 1:50 throw map, witch has an overprint on it. So I can not get it in a digital format. Whay I ment by marking a rote and the following the rote, i will look at wher i would like to go, draw on the map with the styles, and then I will look at the map as I drive and turn acordinguley.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory Map or Ozi Explorer would be my choice - get a trial of both and see which you like. There are several other good ones, but the two above are widely used and liked.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: