Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator Vs TomTom One
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator Vs TomTom One

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Navigator Vs TomTom One Reply with quote

Hi,

I currently have a TomTom 1 new edition but I have been given a 6915 Ipaq from work. I am considering giving my TT1 to my wife and getting the TT Navigator maps for the Ipaq. I am a little concerned that the GPS receiver in the Ipaq isn’t Sirf III as I find the dedicated TT! To be very quick at getting a satellite lock and keeping a signal, I’m not convinced an ‘older’ GPS receiver as used in this Ipaq will be as good but I’d really like your thoughts on how you get on.

Any positives/negatives on the handheld Vs dedicated unit (but both with TomTom) would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6915 uses a GPS chipset made by GlobalLocate who coincidentally now supply the chipset for the latest TomTom ONE.

Although not quite as sensitive as SiRFStarIII the chipset supplied in the 6915 (the GL20k (baseband) and GL-LN22 (RF)) is a capable solution which off loads many functions to software and so can be updated easily. It also has the QuickGPS function so ephemeris data can be pre-loaded via a data call rather than direct from the satellite.

As to whether it is a better solution than the ONE, that's a difficult question and one that only you can really answer. It offers the same navigation functionality in a different package, smaller screen etc.
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Although not quite as sensitive as SiRFStarIII the chipset supplied in the 6915 (the GL20k (baseband) and GL-LN22 (RF)) is a capable solution which off loads many functions to software and so can be updated easily. It also has the QuickGPS function so ephemeris data can be pre-loaded via a data call rather than direct from the satellite..

Driving in central London with tall buildings I amazed how the TT1 keeps a lock on the signal. Would the 6915 with updated GPS fix software be able to compete?

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be quite as effective and 'may' take longer to acquire a fix as well as lose fix more often but still a lot better that earlier chipsets.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: