Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New category for Dummy cameras ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New category for Dummy cameras ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: New category for Dummy cameras ? Reply with quote

We have recently seen a new category for the "pmobile" unreported / unverified cameras...

So how about a new category for known / reported "Dummy" cameras ?

That way it would be up to the individual to download that category if they wanted to, and either take action when approaching one, or not if they are confident it is an empty box.

This would surely be better than seeing a camera on a road you have never driven down before, and have no way of knowing if it is a dummy that has been there for years, or is a brand new one that is not on the database yet.

What does everyone else think Question
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you know its a dummy?

How would you know once it's been changed back to a live camera?

Apart from receiving a NIP?
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the point - at the moment "Dummy" cameras, or those reported to be / believed to be / known to be ??? are NOT on the database, so using the M42 as an example, someone driving down that stretch for the first time would see the cameras and just not know whether they were dummies or not - they could have been put up that day and be too new to be on the database. Embarassed

But if their location were shown on the database as a "Dummy" - like in the M42 case where MaFt has received a list of the ones that ARE dummies, then they would show as such. 8)

You could then choose to ignore them, or if you are a bit paranoid with maybe 9 points on your licence, you could double check your speed "just in case" Exclamation

And moving on from that when you next see a camera that is not on the database as anything, not even a dummy, then you would have a better idea that it IS a new camera, would take appropriate action and report its location for inclusion on the database Wink
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry folks - this shouldn't have been a "new topic" - I clicked the wrong button ( Idiot ) - It should have been a reply to the topic here : http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=302680#302680

Hopefully the mods will merge the two.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really see the point of having Cameras for Dummies.

If a Dummy sees a camera and not sure if it is working on not, I guess they would just put their foot down.

Dummies shouldn't be driving. :x
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
at the moment "Dummy" cameras, or those reported to be / believed to be / known to be ??? are NOT on the database,

Really? Why not, when they could become live at any time?

I'd rather the dummy cameras where in there and not seperated. Less work, more warnings...
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people know that a camera is a dummy, then it should be an individual decision to remove the cameras from the database.

I feel that since the removal of the M42 cameras from the PGPS database, drivers are deliberately driving far in excess of the posted speed limits, and I am talking up to 20mph over the posted speed.
This is creating a dangerous situation on the M42, and I do drive this road every day.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of the speed camera database is NOT to permit speeding, if drivers are foolishly driving through that stretch of motorway at speeds in excess of the variable limit they could receive more than just a speeding ticket if the Police spot them.
The locations of the dummy boxes have been provided so should people want a POI file containing these locations where cameras are known NOT to exist they can create the POI file themselves (there are not too many in it anyway).
As I said on page one I find it incredible that people actually want to be warned of a location that is known to NOT contain a camera - I find this whole issue bizarre - Mike
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - It's not that difficult a concept to grasp surely ?

Forget the M42 example, say you are driving down a road you have never been down before, and you see a roadside camera that does not show up on your Sat Nav device ....

Is it a dummy camera that all the local's know is just an empty box ?
Is it a Live camera that has only just been put there and is too new to be on the database ?
Is it an error that has been inadvertently missed off the database ?

You just wouldn't KNOW.

If the databse compilers KNOW the locations of these dummy cameras then a separate POI file could be created, and folks could choose whether or not to use it.

That way when you come across one, you would KNOW it was a dummy.
Having such a POI file available for download would allow everyone to make their own choice, so those that think they don't weant to be alerted to every known dummy camera site, don't have to dowload that POI file - and those of us that would like to know can - Simple really Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coconut wrote:
Mike - It's not that difficult a concept to grasp surely ?
No it is not difficult to comprehend. BUT at the end of the day it is a Speed Camera Database, so if its not a camera it shouldn't be included.

Bear in mind there are many users of the database covering a multitude of different devices, not all are capable of accepting above a certain number of POI categories. Introducing more options and requiring a user to delete files while loading POI to there devices will further complicate matters, if its not a camera it has no place in a speed camera database - so requesting the inclusion of known locations where cameras don't exist - that is the part I find difficult to grasp!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as you posted this twice, I'll reply twice...
technik wrote:
I feel that since the removal of the M42 cameras from the PGPS database, drivers are deliberately driving far in excess of the posted speed limits.

Ye Gods and little fishes, I didn't realise all the M42 drivers are members. Just goes to show you never know who's round the corner. Must remember to wave next time. Me Me Me Taunt

This dummy camera debate is, as Mike comments, bizarre and Lost Property has it quite right ...
Quote:

If a Dummy sees a camera and not sure if it is working on not, I guess they would just put their foot down.

Dummies shouldn't be driving.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Dummies shouldn't be driving.

Quote:
That way when you come across one, you would KNOW it was a dummy.
And I assume it would be OK to carry on exceeding the limit knowing it's a dummy.

I guess we could have a database of Dummy Dummy Cameras, especially for Dummies with some Real Cameras set up as Dummies, that way the Dummies would pass what they thought was a Dummy Camera, without reducing speed down to the limit, and get £60 and 3 points. Pass four real Dummy Dummies and they are off the road for a year. :D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the "Dummy Cameras" could become a seperate POI file from the POI Download section (if Richard - Oldie were to agree to its inclusion) - but it should NEVER become part of the main download - I still consider this a useless and waste of time to be honest - there is no benefit in knowing where a camera doesn't exist - Mike
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I include one for outside my house? That'll slow the B****** down. Twisted Evil

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add every local school - both directions from 500 YDS - no cameras are ever positioned near schools - but its a good safety net, perhaps slowing the motorist down this way might catch on - GET REAL if there is no camera why do you need to know the location? - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: