Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Proximity Warning not working after update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Proximity Warning not working after update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AceCRO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Proximity Warning not working after update Reply with quote

Hi All

After updating my TomTom One to the latest version, V 6.560 (using TomTom Home and connected to TomTom site) the promixity warning of the spped cameras is no longer working. Everything is enabled and proximity warning is set up but the audible warning has stopped. The warning icon still flashes up on the screen but no audio.

Ant help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing you were using a custom/modified "data.chk" file from this site to give you the audio warnings?
Each new version of TomTom software needed a new version of data.chk in order for it to work (that's why you've lost the audio when you updated the software) and as there is a better way now, there are no more custom data.chks being compiled.
That method has now been superceded by using individual audio files (in ".ogg" format) for each camera type file.

See TomTom FAQ #5 for details,
and my reply in
this post for a few file sets to get you started. Smile
AceCRO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

Many thanks for your reply. I have downloaded the ready made ogg files.
Do I just copy them in the map directory and they will work or do I have to set up the promixity warnings again ?

Is there anything I should delete before I copy over the ogg files?

Thanks again
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't realise the instructions are not that apparent in the FAQ I linked to.

1. Slap 'em in the map folder just like you did with the speed camera .ov2 and .bmp files.

2. You have to go through the "warn when near" set-up again FOR EACH camera type. If the .ogg files have installed correctly (i.e. they have the correct matching name) then after you have set the warning distance, IT WILL SKIP the next page where it normally asks you to choose a sound. This is correct and means it has registerred the file and will use it instead, but you DO need to go through the selection process for each camera type (i.e. 24 times)

3. you don't need to delete anything else, but you may want to reinstall the ORIGINAL data.chk file that came with your software version from your backup, so you can use the original bells and sirens for other POIs (or you could of course add new .ogg files for those too!)
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
1. Slap 'em in the map folder ....
I'll have to remember that one for the Technical Jargon Notebook! Laughing Laughing

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my defense...
I've just bought a new (second-hand) car, with a few little niggles; one of which was the dashboard clock wasn't working.
I looked on a few forums and someone said it was a common fault and the best fix was to give it a good thump.
Someone else then replied saying "it is not a good idea to thump anything in a modern car...etc etc".

So I gave it a slap instead. Wink

Bingo, working perfectly! :D
AceCRO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy
Many many thanks mate. Everything now sorted at this end. The ogg files I downloaded (Vicky's voice) didn't have any 20MPH warnings so I had to ditch that along with some other bits & bobs, like the _tba and _var etc. What do they mean anyway ? The only things I am interested in are the Gatsos and the Redlights.

Ofcourse, thumping any non-functional device makes it functional again. Didn't you know that? When I did my first degree in Mechanical Engineering all them years ago, it was a taught subject, it was called Impact Engineering and it works every time :D

Well, thanks again Andy, your help much appreciated. Oh, by the way, when you say re-install the chk file from back up, which back up do you mean? The very first one that came with TomTom before I started to put the PocketGPS camera files or the one before I upgraded to the latest version? Mind you I don't use warnings for any other POI so I presume it doesn't really matter.

Regards...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AceCRO wrote:
Hi Andy
Many many thanks mate. Everything now sorted at this end. The ogg files I downloaded (Vicky's voice) didn't have any 20MPH warnings so I had to ditch that along with some other bits & bobs, like the _tba and _var etc. What do they mean anyway ? The only things I am interested in are the Gatsos and the Redlights.

You DO want the tba and var files - they are gatsos where a ) the speed limit hasn't been reported and b ) the limit is variable (like on the M25). You can just make several copies of the generic "Warning Gatso" sound for those (and the 20mph one). The name just needs to changed to exactly match the ov2 file it refers to (see one of the others to get the idea)..
All this should hopefully get easier for you when my project to collect and compile all the available sets of oggs to give every file you need, gets up on the site. It's taken me ages, but the CD got posted to PGPSW last week, so here's hoping!

Quote:
Ofcourse, thumping any non-functional device makes it functional again. Didn't you know that? When I did my first degree in Mechanical Engineering all them years ago, it was a taught subject, it was called Impact Engineering and it works every time :D

Good, I've been thumping to degree level obviously. Smile

Quote:
when you say re-install the chk file from back up, which back up do you mean? The very first one that came with TomTom before I started to put the PocketGPS camera files or the one before I upgraded to the latest version? Mind you I don't use warnings for any other POI so I presume it doesn't really matter.

Difficult to say... all you need is the version of data.chk that came with the version of TomTom software you've got, so... the one from the backup just after you updated any operating software Wink
AceCRO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M25 ???
You ARE joking, aren't you?

I have not been south of Watford in my life mate Laughing

Cheers..........
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to complete this... the page with the compiled sets of files, all re-named and ready to go, is now up and running HERE Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: