Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Custom Voice Alert Download Page Added
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Custom Voice Alert Download Page Added
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Underdog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time would be good. Im driving too the south of France soon and need it for then........

Regards
Michael
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why not?,I have one on ttn7 that says "You are exceeding the speed limit" everytime the speed changes red and it can be switched out if neccesary, its a dam sight better than the small red speed numbers.
I just called it overspeed.ogg.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. If anybody wants a copy just PM me with email addy. or I will send to pgpsw to add to database if i can find email.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
And why not?,I have one on ttn7 that says "You are exceeding the speed limit" everytime the speed changes red and it can be switched out if neccesary, its a dam sight better than the small red speed numbers.
I just called it overspeed.ogg.

Ahh, but that's something different. Underdog was asking for something which just called out the speed limit, not an over-speed warning.

But maybe that's what you actually wanted, Underdog?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can possibly read it both ways Andy, and yes you cannot trigger a speed only a common warning, also it will only trigger when the speeds are actually designated within the Mapping, so you have two options, either camera speed triggers(if you use the correct zoned voice) or single warning of overspeed by road mapping, time will tell which he wants.
Underdog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team,

I prefer to have a voice call out what the speed limit is so that while I'm in the UK it's XX mph but in France it's XX kph.
Thanks for the input thus far.....

Kind regards
leemperor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: alternative set of alerts Reply with quote

I've got some alternative alert ogg's with a less harsh beep, a female voice, and with speeds up to 130 for europe. Available on my blog - http://www.jonsguides.com/2010/09/tomtom-speedcam-alerts-inc-eurozone.html
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee (?)
Well done for doing that!
A couple of your blog comments are not quite fair as you can get ones from here with or without various different chimes or klaxons - some are quiet, but other people like them "loud and in your face"! (I don't)
Also, there ARE at least one or two versions that do have the Euro speed limits already.

Having said that, yours are a welcome addition. Would you be interested in getting them added to the download page on here?

EDIT:
Did you borrow the wording from my "Simon" set? Very similar! Cool

Several of the ones I've listened to seem to be edited very tight on the end so the last word is slightly clipped (eg. the 20mph Gatso says "Speed camera, twent-eh) Worth a quick look?
hwalker1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Voice alerts compatibility wih a TomTom Start 60 Reply with quote

Wehn I try to install the voice alerts on my Start 60, I get the message "The content you are trying to install cannot be used with your device. Check that you have the correct file"
I have tried all the files with no success.
Applies to UK and EUR cameras.
Any ideas?
hwalker1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Warning Installation Reply with quote

Correction to my past post.

Just worked out that the voice files are actually warnings. If installed as warnings, they install and work fine.
Sorry for any confusion. It was much better when you could just copy and paste them into your map folder.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try to instal them in the "Add voices" section of the "MyTomTom program? That won't work.

You CAN install them as "warning sounds" as you've done, if you like, but the normal method (as described in our instructions), is to install ALL the files you get (.ov2, .bmp, .ogg) in the "Add POIs" section.

They work properly (and get assigned automatically to the correct speeds etc.) when you do that.
hwalker1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: It seems to work differently on a TomTom Start 60 Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Did you try to instal them in the "Add voices" section of the "MyTomTom program? That won't work.

You CAN install them as "warning sounds" as you've done, if you like, but the normal method (as described in our instructions), is to install ALL the files you get (.ov2, .bmp, .ogg) in the "Add POIs" section.

They work properly (and get assigned automatically to the correct speeds etc.) when you do that.

The only way to install them on the start 60 is to use TomTom Home and let it store the files for you. This automatically adds a POI category for each camera type. To add the sound files, first use the add community content system and store them as warnings. Using the POI settings menu, select Warn when near a POI and add the warning to the POI as sound effect.

It then asks for a distance to the POI. Now if the poi is in a 30 limit, then 300 yards is fine, but if it is in a 70 limit, the minimum distance for it to be of use is 700 yards. Personally I like to have a warning distance of 10 times the speed limit so that I have time to slow down if need be. So the option is not as useful as it would appear
If you try to set up TomTom's cameras to use the voice warnings provided by Pocket GPS World, then its a waste of time, as you cannot allocate the correct voice recording to a particular speed limit.

So, having done all that, I did a simulated run on a short road near Huddersfield that has cameras every 100 yards or so, and the warnings are useless, as all the different camera POIs shout at the same time. So I turned off the GPS world ones for a bit of peace, used only the TomTom ones, and found that they seem to work OK. Tried it the other way round, and most of the cameras are out of date or missing. Other than spending a week traveling around the district and checking every camera for accuracy, I do not know what to do, so if you are in the Huddersfield area and travel from Huddersfield to Lepton, forget the warnings and turn the sound off! Shocked
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: It seems to work differently on a TomTom Start 60 Reply with quote

hwalker1 wrote:

The only way to install them on the start 60 is to use TomTom Home and let it store the files for you. This automatically adds a POI category for each camera type. To add the sound files, first use the add community content system and store them as warnings. Using the POI settings menu, select Warn when near a POI and add the warning to the POI as sound effect.

Sorry, hwalker, I have to disagree with you there...

Firstly, the START 60 does NOT use TomTom 'Home', it uses 'MyTomTom'.

Secondly, assuming you are using one of the standard/supported voice warning sets which are available at the same time as you download the camera database, (or any other set where the file names match the data files)... then in MyTomTom, you CAN install the warning voices at the same time as the other POI files in the "Add POI" section of the program as I said above. There is no need to install them separately in the "Add warning sounds" section.

This way is quicker and easier and allows the warning voices to be assigned automatically during the "Warn when near" set up. If you add them as warning sounds, you have to select them manually every time - very boring.

Taking the rest of your post in sections....

hwalker1 wrote:
It then asks for a distance to the POI. Now if the poi is in a 30 limit, then 300 yards is fine, but if it is in a 70 limit, the minimum distance for it to be of use is 700 yards. Personally I like to have a warning distance of 10 times the speed limit....

...which has been suggested in the set-up instructions and in many places in these forums.

hwalker1 wrote:
If you try to set up TomTom's cameras to use the voice warnings provided by Pocket GPS World, then its a waste of time, as you cannot allocate the correct voice recording to a particular speed limit.

Yes, that is a known limitation of TomToms own speed camera warnings. Although you CAN choose any new sound effect that you have added yourself (including the PGPSW voice warnings) for the TomTom camera warnings, you can only have one sound file for each camera TYPE, not camera speed.

hwalker1 wrote:
So, having done all that, I did a simulated run on a short road near Huddersfield that has cameras every 100 yards or so, and the warnings are useless, as all the different camera POIs shout at the same time. So I turned off the GPS world ones for a bit of peace, used only the TomTom ones, and found that they seem to work OK.

Well I'm not sure what else you expect here... If you set the cameras to warn at a certain distance and there are several cameras very close together, then obviously there will be some overlap of the individual warnings, there's nothing that can be done about that.

But it's your choice... either the ACCURATE PGPSW data with the best warnings that the TomTom software allows us to use, or the frankly poor TomTom data with their more subtle audio warning system which they do not allow third-party POIs to use.
I know which I prefer...

hwalker1 wrote:
Tried it the other way round, and most of the cameras are out of date or missing. Other than spending a week traveling around the district and checking every camera for accuracy, I do not know what to do, so if you are in the Huddersfield area and travel from Huddersfield to Lepton, forget the warnings and turn the sound off! Shocked

At this point I get very confused!
Are you saying that the PGPSW database is MISSING most of the cameras in this area, but TomTom's own database does have them?
I would be VERY surprised if that is the case, please can you check the locations yourself on the SUBMISSIONS MAP (link is also on the right of this page). Are the cameras showing there?
If so, then they are correct in the PGPSW database and it must be the way you have installed them that is at fault.
reader
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have downloaded Viki's voice but it doe snot seem to include the unverified mobile camaers any more? Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why all the OLD voice packs are unsupported. They were created by various different people for their own use, and those people may not have wanted certain types of warning. Or the voice files may have been created when certain camera types (such as the pMobiles) may not have even existed!

So it's pot-luck if you want to use an old set, but you can always re-use some of the other warnings in the set for the missing ones, just by making duplicate copies and renaming them.
Shout if you need further advice on doing that.

But whenever you download the weekly main camera database updates, you are now offered the NEW voice packs, which were specially recorded and are guaranteed to have all the warnings for all the current camera types and speeds.
There is a male or female option with or without a chime at the front, would one of those do?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: