Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Custom Voice Alert Download Page Added
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Custom Voice Alert Download Page Added
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well looking at that you have the sound files for the EUR cameras yet you use the UK camera data?

The sound pack needs to match the installed speedcam database.
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh...................doh!

So do i assume there is no Kate based ogg file for UK cams?
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No there isn't.
We made those specifically to fill the need for some km/h warnings, using the "Kate" text to speech voice on a TomTom Go 910.

But as you have a 720 and a 920 and you only want to use the Kate version without the extra chime at the front, there's nothing to stop you typing in your own warnings for her to speak.

Go through the same menus as you are doing already (Manage POIs/ Warn when near/ etc....) but on the screen after the one where you select the distance, select "type in your own warning"
You can then write any text you like.
That's how the "Kate" km/h ones were done. Smile
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, thanks for your suggestion.
I was already there typing in as i read it.

If i could be allowed to make a criticism/suggestion or two.

I tried using the option, full spoken warning, if the files were named with a better description, this would work perfectly. Is there any reason to have the files named as they are right now, why not just gatso 30 etc, then they would be read aloud perfectly with this option.

Secondly there is lots of information on the camera files and how to install and select voices etc, but it just seems to have got a little fragmented over time by different options and versions etc. It would really benefit from someone going through it all and maybe tidying up where you are directed by each of the different pages.

Please accept this as helpful criticism from someone who has just tried to negotiate there way through all this.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfreeze wrote:
I tried using the option, full spoken warning, if the files were named with a better description, this would work perfectly. Is there any reason to have the files named as they are right now, why not just gatso 30 etc, then they would be read aloud perfectly with this option.

Because they are 'our' files and we need to identify them as such. Piracy and theft is a huge issue for us.
Quote:
Secondly there is lots of information on the camera files and how to install and select voices etc, but it just seems to have got a little fragmented over time by different options and versions etc. It would really benefit from someone going through it all and maybe tidying up where you are directed by each of the different pages.

It has only recently been re-done and is as concise as it can be given the device versions in common use today. There are many things that could benefit from a re-visit but we're only 4 people and swamped as it is. Voices was a priority so I re-wrote the entire page a few months back. What's there now is what's needed I'm afraid.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still on my list of projects.... Embarassed
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
mrfreeze wrote:

Because they are 'our' files and we need to identify them as such. Piracy and theft is a huge issue for us.
Quote:

It has only recently been re-done and is as concise as it can be given the device versions in common use today. There are many things that could benefit from a re-visit but we're only 4 people and swamped as it is. Voices was a priority so I re-wrote the entire page a few months back. What's there now is what's needed I'm afraid.

I understand your need for security, but simply naming the files as you do is no big security measure. Surely any pirate could simply re name them.

I am just trying to find the easiest way for me to use these files.

Can i ask,
1. If like Andy suggested i use my own custom wording (which is what i have done) will i loose these when i next copy over my next update?

2. If i decided to go down the renaming of the files so that Kate can be instructed to read full spoken instruction, would i have to just rename the ov2 file, or do i have to have the same name for the bmp files as well?

regards,

Neil
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrfreeze wrote:
I understand your need for security, but simply naming the files as you do is no big security measure. Surely any pirate could simply re name them.

Indeed so. That is just one of the many security systems in place. Indeed it's not even a security system but it's an aid and a reminder to others who come across the files as to where they came from. At the end of the day, for the majority who use them as provided with the packaged voice files they work fine.
Quote:
I am just trying to find the easiest way for me to use these files.

The easiest way would be with one of our packaged voice file sets!
Quote:
Can i ask,
1. If like Andy suggested i use my own custom wording (which is what i have done) will i loose these when i next copy over my next update?

No
Quote:
2. If i decided to go down the renaming of the files so that Kate can be instructed to read full spoken instruction, would i have to just rename the ov2 file, or do i have to have the same name for the bmp files as well?

You would have to rename both.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to rename all three files per speed camera category as there is the ov2 file and the two bmp files, quite a large task to perform each week so I wouldn't bother, you can still use the Kate voice for warnings if you want to.

You could even make a set of ogg audio files using the Kate voice, name those to match the POI file names and that would work. Simply feed the Line out socket from the TomTom into the PC sound card and use Audacity to edit the sounds - Mike
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks to all for the replies.

I think i will just keep my custom wording, it seems to be the best option for me.

One last question, would you know, if once i have set it up on the 920 can i copy the files over to my 720 and is there a way of moving the custom wording over as well?
I have had a look at the files and i can't see an obvious place where it would store them.
Are they written into the ov2 file?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The settings are stored in the MapSettings.cfg file which lives in the specific map folder you are dealing with "Western & Central Europe" or possibly "North America"
I wouldn't advise trying to copy that file between devices as it has been known to mess up when used with different map types and differing Navcore software releases - Mike
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike/everyone,

Just wanted to give you feedback on that last issue.

I had completed the UK files with custom text on the wifes 920 and so i then tried lifting the mapconfig to my 720 so as not to have to type them all in again.

It worked fine, no problems or crashes.

FYI both units had same v8.302 and WCE 825 maps.

Thought i'd give it a try as i had a full backup so nothing to loose, all to gain.
Wink

Mike, hope i didn't confuse you with the maps, i am in Florida at the moment so i'm using the NA map, but the wife is on here way back to Blighty so had to get her set up with WCE map.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation, Mr Freeze...
Considering you are using the same software version and map version on both machines, I did think you would probably be OK copying the MapSettings.cfg file, but as it had been said otherwise, I didn't want to stick my head over the parapet! Glad it worked out for you! Smile
MarkWorthington
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You could even make a set of ogg audio files using the Kate voice, name those to match the POI file names and that would work. Simply feed the Line out socket from the TomTom into the PC sound card and use Audacity to edit the sounds - Mike

So you could use any recorded ogg file, and just name it the same as a POI file? So the UK voices could be used for the Europe or North America POIs by simple copying/renaming?

Whilst browsing the voices, I found some "errors" ... where's the best place to report that?

Thanks,

Mark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark its certainly possible to make your own voice files, I have done so in the past, its far from a 5 minute job though setting up the PC as a recording studio!
As for reporting any errors you have found please post them in this thread where they will be looked into - Thanks - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17

Jump to: