Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera add on - is it worth it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera add on - is it worth it?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thready
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Safety Camera add on - is it worth it? Reply with quote

Good evening :D

Forgive me if I am asking something that has already been answered.

I have Nav 6 installed on my Nokia N73 and got a free months trial of the safety camera application.

I used tomtom at the weekend and was very impressed with it.

However, the only cameras I passed [I hope] were static Gatso cameras on the A15, I am tempted to buy the 1 year licence when my demo expires but want to confirm that it will notify me of ALL cameras, ie: motorway, temporary roadside and mobile before I do.

Can you advise.

Thanks
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you mean the TomTom Free Trial.

In which case it doesn't include Mobile Sites.

The general consensus is that it's not that good. It's biggest problem is that you can't configure the warnings. You get the same sound, at the same distance, for every camera.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... while the one from here DOES. (and is cheaper and updated more regularily too). Smile
Thready
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so the tomtom trial and full vresion aren't much good but there's anoyher camera add on that i can buy that is compatible with tomtom nav 6 ?

Point the way please Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thready wrote:
ok so the tomtom trial and full vresion aren't much good but there's anoyher camera add on that i can buy that is compatible with tomtom nav 6 ?

Point the way please Laughing

click the 'speed cameras' link at the top of any page.

cost is £2 for a months worth of downloads (usually 2 releases in a month) or £19 for a full year. once downloaded you can use it as long as you want - it doesn't expire. BUT obviously it will get out of date...

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the one from here!
Click on the box on the right of this page that says "Click here for speed cameras". That should lead you to a page where you can sign up (£2 a month - usually 2 downloable updates in that time, or £19 for a whole year)

Please note that if you pay by PayPal "e-cheque" it will not clear the banking system for a few days and you might end up getting annoyed at not being able to download straight away!

For that you get:
Fixed cameras
Mobile sites
Red light cams
SPECS average speed cams
Temporary cams (at roadworks etc)
extra un-confirmed mobile sites if you want them.

The latest release has:
There are a total of 10,570 verified cameras in the database and 1,114 unverified mobile sites (total combined: 11,684). 3,853 Gatso/Monitron/Truvelo, 5,481 Mobiles, 22 Temporary, 213 Specs and 1,001 Redlight Cameras.

You also get:
user-adjustable warning distance for each speed
user adjustable warning sound, or optional warning voices telling you the speed limit and camera type as you approach.

[edit by MaFt]
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry MaFt, this time I DID see you posted before me, so edited my post not to duplicate what you said; but then I just popped back a few pages to check something and then didn't go forward far enough, so posted my original after all! Rolling Eyes .
Still, if you can't update the board software to give us edit rights you'll have to put up with my c*ck-ups! Laughing
Thready
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool guys

Thanks a bundle, will sign up tonight.

So glad I found this forum, you've not only been incredibly helpful, but you don't leave people waiting around for days for a reply :D

*ponders what question I can ask next!!!*
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thready wrote:
Cool guys

Thanks a bundle, will sign up tonight.

So glad I found this forum, you've not only been incredibly helpful, but you don't leave people waiting around for days for a reply :D

*ponders what question I can ask next!!!*

The next question is "If I come across a camera which isn't in your database, how can I tell you about it?"
The answer is "It's on the same page as wot wear you gets the cameras from, only a bit further down, there's a map and instructions and things".

And to answer your next question - "You can get a free lifetime membership if you are the first person to submit a new, changed or removed fixed camera (not a mobile). Only you have to get up very, very, very early to beat all the others who have already beat you to it. But do it anyway, because that will help PGPSW to keep the database up to date." Twisted Evil

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Thready
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing @ Dennis

Am now the proud powner of a shiny new membership and in a state of panic at the amount of that reading thing I appear to have to do before downloading Crying or Very sad

*doesn't do the reading thing* Embarassed
Thready
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be owner not powner Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two methods, read everything and then install perfectly or just install and ask for help if/when it goes wrong!

Either way we're here to help and you'll get a response no matter how daft the question may appear as we've all been there and made a mistake at one point or another!

Welcome aboard Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thready wrote:
in a state of panic at the amount of that reading thing I appear to have to do before downloading Crying or Very sad

*doesn't do the reading thing* Embarassed
Look, don't bother with the reading thing, like something else, it'll make you go blind! Twisted Evil
Just hack it, I did. I'm an older person with a bus pass and I've never had any difficulty with the downloads. I know, that's a terrible thing to say, especially in front of all the great guys and gals here who have helped me out and who have put in a load of effort into writing up all the FAQs, HELP topics and instructions, not to mention getting the site to work. I mean, how do they make it? - I wouldn't have the faintest glimmer of an idea. But I still don't read the manuals. Wink Embarassed

What Darren says is typical - come back with your daft questions and nobody will put you down because we all started from down there. This is the only website I use, so I can't say how typical it is, maybe others give you grief, but they don't here.
What's more, you can't understand how much pleasure we get from helping you out, but you will when you get to the stage where you too can help someone who's going to post exactly the same questions next year that you will post now, that we posted a year ago.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as Darren said on another thread, the only daft questions are the ones you ask again after having the answer given the previous release ;)

MaFt

ps - i though pOwner was a new category of pending owner - those who've not quite confirmed their subscription...
Thready
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got another question.

I have tomtom and have tomtom home loaded on pc, supposedly for quick and easy acces to transfer things to and from the card.

BUT [maybe being thick here - for maybe read definitely!!] when i click on 'my device' it displays 'PCI Card - unknown device' when I click to change device it gives me a list of options, non of which are my device [tomtom nav 6 installed on Nokia N73] so how the firk do I get it to recognise my phone?

Is it because it is looking for the official tomtom card and I have copied it over to a larger card?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: