Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TMC in France?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TMC in France?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: TMC in France? Reply with quote

Just when you thought it was safe to come back in to the forums and find no TMC posts ;-)

I recently went to France, Belgium and Luxembourg.

My C710 was unable to receive TMC information for France (could not find a station) but did pick up TMC for Belgium (Radio 2 Belgium), Holland, Luxembourg and even Germany. The C710 managed to pick up Belgium information in France and German TMC in Belgium and Luxembourg.

Has anyone managed to pick up TMC information for France (as opposed to TMC information from Belgium whilst in France) with the recent 3.2 update (Jan 2007)? It took me a while to realise that the TMC information was not for France but for Belgium.

Fwiw, the TMC information in Belgium was quite detailed and seemed to remain on the TMC for longer than it does in the UK (even after a power off). I notice that some of the TMC information alerted to danger spot roads where accidents are especially common and serious. This would be a good feature in the UK.

In 400 miles or so of travelling I didn't encounter 1 speed camera alert (and, I think, not one speed camera). On return to the UK I encountered countless alerts!

The C710 failed badly as a result of a new road layout - not it's fault at all of course. Instead of thinking clearly - about how to turn left in to a blocked road - I didn't think clearly and ended up driving around for a long time. The problem was that because I was so close to the destination I couldn't "avoid" the road that a) I was already on and b) that the Mio "thought" would lead me to the destination.

What I should have done - and what I would advise anyone in a similar situation to do is as follows. It sounds simple but it didn't occur to me at the time and it may help someone:

1) Find a nearby parking space away from the destination and certainly away from the road that leads to the destination (it may be safest to use POI to find a parking space away from the tantalisingly close destination).

2) Delete the existing route and re-enter it (or perhaps simply "recalculate").

3) Now go in to itineray, selecting the offending road and select "avoid".

In short the MIo will not avoid a road if you are already on (or possibly immediately near) the road. Because of long roads and naming conventions this can be a less obvious problem than it appears.

If I had followed my own advice it would have saved me at least 25 minutes or so. Being lost in a strange place can be pretty anxiety causing when the traffic flow and road rules are different to the UK.

I wonder if it's worth putting a simple FAQ of "what do I do tips" together? Had I had the above simple advice whilst encountering the problem it would have been a big relief.

I noticed also that when I got lost in a French town the Mio really did struggle to find my position when it was forced to recalculate the route and when my position deviated from the planned route.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we intimated in the TMC reports borked thread, it looks like the TMC issue with the latest update is more involved than just the iTIS / TrafficMaster issue.

There is/was a press release on Mio's web site regarding the C710, TMC & France, titled "Traffic Message Channel (TMC) now delivered at no additional cost to Mio C710 purchasers in France" and dated November 14, 2006:

http://www.mio-tech.be/en/press-releases-tmc-delivered-at-no-additional-cost-for-mio-c710-in-france.htm

Did you have good satellite reception when you got lost in a French town or was reception poor?

At one time, there was a list on Mio's web site detailing the number of cameras in various countries and although this list has disappeared, I did make a copy of the information:

Country Count
Austria 766
Belgium 1944
Czechie 307
Denmark 29
Finland 153
France 2466
Germany 4299
Italy 573
Lichtenstein 1
Luxemburg 11
Netherlands 1739
Norway 294
Portugal 138
Slovakia 2
Spain 785
Sweden 260
Switzerland 449
Uk 9539

As you can see, this information shows about FOUR times as many cameras in the UK as France, so you would get more warnings.

Also when your speed increases (motorways), the warning distance to cameras increases and you'll be alerted to a few on roads adjacent to the one you're travelling on.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
As we intimated in the TMC reports borked thread, it looks like the TMC issue with the latest update is more involved than just the iTIS / TrafficMaster issue.

There is/was a press release on Mio's web site regarding the C710, TMC & France, titled "Traffic Message Channel (TMC) now delivered at no additional cost to Mio C710 purchasers in France" and dated November 14, 2006:

http://www.mio-tech.be/en/press-releases-tmc-delivered-at-no-additional-cost-for-mio-c710-in-france.htm

Did you have good satellite reception when you got lost in a French town or was reception poor?

At one time, there was a list on Mio's web site detailing the number of cameras in various countries and although this list has disappeared, I did make a copy of the information:

Country Count
Austria 766
Belgium 1944
Czechie 307
Denmark 29
Finland 153
France 2466
Germany 4299
Italy 573
Lichtenstein 1
Luxemburg 11
Netherlands 1739
Norway 294
Portugal 138
Slovakia 2
Spain 785
Sweden 260
Switzerland 449
Uk 9539

As you can see, this information shows about FOUR times as many cameras in the UK as France, so you would get more warnings.

Also when your speed increases (motorways), the warning distance to cameras increases and you'll be alerted to a few on roads adjacent to the one you're travelling on.

Thanks. Yes, I think TMC is even more borked that I initially thought - there was zilch in terms of French TMC reception. Belgium, Lux, Dutch and German reception was pretty good though - although nowhere near as prolific as my 20 pages plus of ITIS data.

Yes, the sat reception was good when I was lost. I noticed also that the unit seemed to struggle to identify the direction of travel.

Oh well, the person travelling with me told me earlier today that I shouldn't be too harsh on the satnav. It was suggested that without it we would still be stuck in France trying to find Luxembourg nevermind trying to find the way back :-(
JohnRicketts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my c710 to the french alps 17th feb. Put it in the hire car from Geneva. Using the 1/4 wave std arial, it pulled down about 7 pages of messages, and rerouted me nicely round the back streets of Annecy.

It did not get TMC whilst in Bourg Saint Maurice, but then it is in a valley surrounded by high mountains! GPS took quite a while to lock as well.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you were nearer the satellites so it should have been quicker for GPS to lock on Laughing Out Loud Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: