Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem w Installing TomTom 5 Maps on MDA Pro
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem w Installing TomTom 5 Maps on MDA Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madisonman39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Problem w Installing TomTom 5 Maps on MDA Pro Reply with quote

I am about to throw the TomTom software in the garbage. I bought the navigator 5 and GPS to use with my pocket PC, MDA pro, which TomTom says in compatible. I went through the system crashes time after time. Finally I uninstalled and went through TomTom's directions -- loading the update with the CD, then reloading the update without the CD, then loading the map. The first problem-- when I told the software to load the program on the storage card, it loaded it on the device itself. And I tried three times. I gave up. I then loaded the maps, as per the software's directions onto my storage card, as they are too big for the device. The problem, I keep getting the error message, "No maps found." I looked through some other forums where you have to create a .dat file, which I do not know how to do, and then use something like Resco explorer to change where the program points to. I do not know how to do that either. Can someone please tell me, step by step, how to make the program see the maps? And please tell me if I have to do the same thing for voices. Thanks -- and shame on TomTom for selling a product that they say is compatible but makes someone spend hours on end trying to install it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, remove the TomTom application from the device, download the latest version of TomTom Navigator from the TomTom web site (version 5,21), run the installer on the PC, this will install the application to the device.

1/ You do not need the earlier version of software installed to load the update, the update is a full software product in its own right, in fact the presence of an earlier software version can mess things up.

2/ Consider the use of CAB file installation for the program, search the forum for the information on how this is done.

3/ Use a card reader to install a map of your choice to the memory card, you should not have any Reg Edits or file creation to carry out, these sort of dodges are usually associated with illegal software, if its correct software it will install, activate and work.

4/ For voices, the chosen voices should install with the application, if not copy the engF.CAB file from the CD voices folder to the memory card of your PDA, use file explorer on the PDA to locate this CAB file and tap it, this will install the Jane UK voice.

5/ For other voices, create a folder named voices and put it in the root of the memory card, your voice files are to be placed in the voices folder.
Add a folder called tomtom to the root of the memory card, don't put anything init, it just needs to be there for the voices (and postcode to work).

6/ When you install the Map make sure you also check the box to install the postcode data, of this wont work either! - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: