Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Offline Windows Mobile street level mapping with GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Offline Windows Mobile street level mapping with GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichChestmat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Offline Windows Mobile street level mapping with GPS Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have a square screen Treo 750v with Windows Mobile with a 1Gb miniSD and am planning to buy a cheap bluetooth GPS receiver. I will be able to use this with Google Maps for when I get lost in the UK. My data plan makes the occasional connection affordable and I like the Google Maps interface. The symbology is ideal and the option to bring up a photo layer can be handy. However this is going to be unusable if I go on holiday since roaming data charges will be unmanagable and GMM doesn't allow you to pre-cache data.

So I am looking for an alternative. I don't drive and so Tom Tom is quite expensive and overkill for walking. Route finding would be nice but not essential. Vito Navigator looks good but the style of the maps that can be downloaded are not really at 1:25,000 street level and I am not keen on scanning and georeferencing maps to add in myself. That seems like more effort than simply opening a paper map. I don't mind the preparation of copying prepared maps to my PDA before any trip though. Mapopolis looked ideal and affordable but is no longer trading. I would be prepared to spend $24 or so for simple GPS aware mapping of the US or european countries as required. Whichever solution should also enable me to find a location based on address or postcode - the usual.

I'm a city person so A-Z or GMM style maps would be preferred over OS symbology. Although I'd want to be able to add maps for cities in Japan, Europe and the US I'd also like to have the option of UK instead of using GMM. I also want to get mapping for Hawaii too.

On the side (maybe worth a seperate investigation) I would be interested in some geocaching activities. I have had some GIS exposure at Uni working with ArcGIS and could tinker. It might also be nice to export my recorded path and export to ArcMap or Google Earth. But this is a seperate requirement from where am I, where is that? and how do I get there?

Can anyone make a recommendation? I've tried to be specific but at the same time I'm sure there are other non-road users that have a similar requirement.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory map and Ozi Explorer are good ones, although there are many more worth lookign at. Vito cames to mind as well. Anything that can do topo can do street mapping (without routing and guidence) - it's all down to sourcing suitable digital maps

Both the above can be used with scanned and geocoded maps. Its a bit of a fiddly process to do yourself, but can be done.

What I would do is look at the availbe maps first, then decided on the software application based on them supplying suitable maps at a price you are happy with. Scanning and encoding your own maps is not something I ever felt was a particualrly productive use of my spare time, but if you want to save money can be done.

The other souce of maps can be the internet. Take a screen shot of the map you want, edit it and save it away as a bit map and geocode it. To do this you will need to know the lat/long of at least 2 points on the map, the bigger the map the more error you will get so more than a few miles square per map starts to get too much error. (It's a bit of a grey area copyright wise though.)
RichChestmat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to answer but as I said I am looking for a solution with prepared georeferenced maps available and MemoryMap uses OS symbology.

I've had a dig round the rest of this place and found mention of Nokia Smart2Go. That was a struggle to get working on my phone but once I had downloaded some maps onto my card it seems to do a reasonable job for the money. GMM is still slicker and easier to read but Smart2Go does offer the chance of working offline with some minimal preparation. It's just a shame that it's so buggy and slow.

EDIT: Having said that if you could kindly point me in the direction of a not totally illegal but cost effective for personal use way of sourcing digital maps suitable for your solution then I would be happy to take a closer look. I'd be looking for something that covers cities at 1:25,000 raster or vector with decent symbology. Remember if the cost is that many more times expensive than a paper map then it's not worth it.
And come to think of it how would scanned maps offer a gazeteer function? How could I do a search for streets and post codes?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichChestmat wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to answer but as I said I am looking for a solution with prepared georeferenced maps available and MemoryMap uses OS symbology.

As you would expect for OS maps!

But dig deeper on the MM website and you will find that they do A-Z mapping - which is closer to what you require by the sounds of it.

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps_uk_inthecity.htm They come in at around £25/map but the coverage is bit limited at present. And they won't be routable.

However re-reading your original post it sounds like you are looking for mapping outside the UK as you intend to use GoogleMaps here in UK.

To be honest - for finding your way around at street level you probably can't do much better than TomTom (with the appropriate country or European mapping) . It's not that expensive when you consider you are getting routable, indexed, street level mapping at scales far better than 1:25000 (which isn't all that good for street level mapping in any event). Ever tried finding your way around a big town with an OS Explorer map - not very practical - but they aren't designed for that.

Add to this the ability to put on a virtually endless set of POI and it starts to make more sense.

Digital mapping is expensive. It's down to the amount of work required to create and maintain them. Some countries (eg USA) do provide some free digital mapping - but it's not generally at a very good scale for walking.

If you are happy using GoogleMaps - you could always try GoogleEarth - which gives you the option of overlaying street names/overlays onto it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: