Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 910 Clock always wrong
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

910 Clock always wrong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flatfoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: 910 Clock always wrong Reply with quote

Forgive me if this has been covered, but a search yields mixed results. My new 910 clock is always wrong. TT support suggest "factory settings" in prefs, followed by a paper clip and power button reset procedure 10 sec minimum each. The start up data screen should show 0:00:00 after this.

I can't persuade this 910 to reset at all, it's always showing some strange time. I've done several resets, up to 40 secs each at least, and reloaded the software. Manually changing time sorts it until the next power off. Sync via satellite sometimes sorts it, other times throws a seven hour error.

My old Garmin was impeccable in this area, is this thing faulty or am I being really stupid.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 910 Clock always wrong Reply with quote

Flatfoot wrote:
I can't persuade this 910 to reset at all, it's always showing some strange time. I've done several resets, up to 40 secs each at least, and reloaded the software. Manually changing time sorts it until the next power off. Sync via satellite sometimes sorts it, other times throws a seven hour error.
Welcome to the forum, are you actually causing the unit to reset ? - have a look Here for the correct location, and rather than a paper clip try a pin (often paper clips can be too large to fit the hole)
Manually changing the Hour is required, the Sync only changes the minutes - Mike
Flatfoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike (mighty quick response). No got the right hole, been using a cocktail stick as wire clip a bit brutal.

I sure I'm doing a reset. Run "factory prefs' ok. Cocktail stick in the hole, and I can hear the hard drive spin down while the whole thing goes dead. Keep this condition for up to a minute. Turn on and hold down power key for ten secs min, Tom Tom chime (drums) and a data screen appears.

The last item is RTC which is always showing a time and date. The time is always wrong and odd, 11:32:00 when previously the clock was 08:00:05 say, and the date which is correct.

I've done this several times but don't have any influence on the clock.

Tom Tom support implied that if I select "Sync" to set the clock via satellite and then switch off the unit, this condition would become a default and any clock error after switch off would be corrected at next satellite contact.

Many thanks, John.
Flatfoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further posting. Because this thing is very new I am just going to take it back to the reseller. I don't like committing a generalised "this is faulty" assumption about a computer based piece of kit, as I do understand how easily broken software can bring these things down.

Nonetheless this thing is irritating, not least because the navigation guidance is very good.

I can't decide if I should risk another replacement or money back.

Thanks for your time, John.
Flatfoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conclusion to the tale.

Retailer understanding and happy to exchange my original 910 for a new sealed one.

Pleased to say this one is behaving as I would expect, and working beautifully, it's a great piece of kit.

Only problem has been swapping one for the other on the Tom Tom support site, gave up in the end and registered all over again from a different address.

It's a puzzle as to the nature of the problem with the original.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: