Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory Map and Road Angel announce the Road Angel Navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory Map and Road Angel announce the Road Angel Navigator
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any others with 1:50000 maps OS maps?

That is the reason that I bought mine. I must admit the road navigation is not marvellous, slightly clumsy at times. I prefer my old Garmin Street Pilot III for that and would upgrade the maps on that if only I could get some sense or a reply from Garmin on how to get the latest maps.

MB
aceatco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Road Angel 7000 Adventurer back in May as I wanted the OS map capability (I have the whole UK) and a camera database after getting a ticket Crying or Very sad I previously used an Ipaq and TT Navigator 5.

The navigation engine in the RA 7000 is bizarre. If you ignore it, because you know better, it constantly tries to take you back to the route it calculated. Like the other week, going M1 north, it is far more sensible to join the M1 at j10 from my house. It plotted the route presumably via j11, across the other side of town. Even when approaching j10A it was STILL trying to tell me to turn round and go back. It was only when I was between j10A and j10 did it give up and accept the new route.

If you pass under the link between j10A and j10 on country roads it tries to turn you onto the entry slip 50ft overhead.

I can quote lots more examples.

I've been in frequent contact with Road Angel and at first they appeared helpful in trying to help resolve the problems. At one point they said they were going to send me a beta version of some new software to try but that came to nothing. Am about to e-mail them again suggesting they might like to give me my money back. Some hope I guess.

The OS mapping on it works well, as do the aviation charts I am told, but the in-car navigation is rubbish and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one of these units.
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceatco wrote:

If you pass under the link between j10A and j10 on country roads it tries to turn you onto the entry slip 50ft overhead.

That is quite common and has been since I first used Autoroute - Ballachulish and Connel bridges are similar examples.

I agree about the RA 7000, I like the OS maps but I must have another try to get the map update from Garmin for old Sat Nav as I think that was better road navigation.

MB
ppppppp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Road Angel 7000 and Memory Map Reply with quote

This product is rubbish and expensive.

The settings do not keep and you have to go through all the setting everytime you turn it on.

The basic road navigation is the worst I have seen.

I order an extra 2 GB SD memory card with it which will not work on the device.

Memory Map have been very rude and unhelpful refusing to accpet that there is a fault (I bought it from memory map)

Road Angel gave me iniitally some duff information about having to power the device off and on to save the setting.

Later Road Angel admitted there is a problem with the SD card and said they will replace it but I am not convinced it will fix the bugs.

The OS maps are good back the device does not accurately make the track it misses out large sections (nothing to do with losing sat reception)

I had a Garmin Quest before and wanted to replace it with something that had better satellite reception and had OS maps. I have gone back to my old Garmin it is much much better.

I have waisted the best part of 600quid. Do not buy this product.
lundavra
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the company very helpful when I have been in contact with them.

The unit loses some settings if you turn it off with the backup battery turned off but otherwise seems to hold settings.

I use a 2GB card in mine and not had any problems, again I asked and was given an answer to my questions.

MB
ChrisWeatherby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One severe problem with this unit for outdoor use - Its not at all shock proof - one small drop, and you'll need to replace the expensive touch screen.
This is really a car sat nav, that happened to be able to run Memory Maps products, and ended up being sold as such.
Its probably better going for a pda mobile phone with built in GPS , for a similar price, but with more advanced features.
mb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisWeatherby wrote:
One severe problem with this unit for outdoor use - Its not at all shock proof - one small drop, and you'll need to replace the expensive touch screen.
This is really a car sat nav, that happened to be able to run Memory Maps products, and ended up being sold as such.
Its probably better going for a pda mobile phone with built in GPS , for a similar price, but with more advanced features.

I tend to carry in the leather case which seems to provide adequate protection.

MB
smego
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking for a product to replace my Mio168 with road nav and OS map (currently have TT5 and MM2004) I want it to be water resitant and a bit rugged for carrying in my rucksac as well as a 4x4.
I also hate that on the mio pda if the battety runs flat I have to reload from a PC again - does this apply with all PDA's?

so Q.
RA Adventurer7000?
Sapmap active 10 out as too dear and no Road SW

Are their any rugged and WP PDA's on the market??
also can I get the RA7000 and use the cheaper QUO mapping software on it?

Ta.
roman-soldier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: road angel adventurer Reply with quote

i bought a RA 7000 Adventurer when they first came out, mainly for off road driving in my 4x4 but also for on road navigation;\

On the road: can save loads of favourites, speed camera alerts excellent, menu takes time to learn,

Off road: memory map software is great when linked to a pc running windows (i have a mac and its not compatible Crying or Very sad ), i use it for off road navigation and it saves and plans routes etc, also i use it for geocaching (www.geocaching.com) and its even better.

Its lost its favourites and history the other day and i'm hoping its just a one off but so far i am very pleased with it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: