Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Confirmation question.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Confirmation question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: POI Confirmation question. Reply with quote

Hi all,
Before I ask my question I have to say thanks to this site for making such a POI database available to satnav users. It's fantastic and please keep up the good work, your efforts are much appreciated.
Wanting to contribute to the accuracy and detail of this database I have today submitted a few POI's for consideration. I understand they appear in faint ( as opposed to bold) which signifies they're awaiting confirmation. My question please is this 'How or by whom are my submissions for example confirmed?'
I have done a search for the answer and read several threads before posting this.
TIA,
Pete Laughing
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your information is not correct:-

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras

Quote:
NOTE: If a camera is shown in grey it means that it is no longer in the database - please do not request it's removal as it has already been removed.

I think:-
It will take a week or two to appear in the database 'pMOBILE' as MaFt is working on the submissions from the 18th Feb. This database is produced twice a month.

He will then need confirmation from another member or two or one of the 27 'official verifiers', before it appears in the main database.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
Your information is not correct:-
Strumble,
I think the OP was referring to non-camera POIs.
pete1336 wrote:
I have today submitted a few POI's for consideration. I understand they appear in faint ( as opposed to bold) which signifies they're awaiting confirmation. My question please is this 'How or by whom are my submissions for example confirmed?'
I don't think that the POIs are verified in the same way as the cameras. I think that the submissions are checked for "being sensibly positioned" and that the data is formatted correctly.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry 'pete1336' I mis-read your entry Embarassed Embarassed

Thank you BGF for pointing it out!
It's been a bad weekend, for our countries, as far as Rugby is concerned, that's my excuse Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
Sorry 'pete1336' I mis-read your entry Embarassed Embarassed

Thank you BGF for pointing it out!
It's been a bad weekend, for our countries, as far as Rugby is concerned, that's my excuse Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
I was in Dublin all week, came back on Friday night - I should have stayed Rolling Eyes
Guinness

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1336 asked: I understand they appear in faint ( as opposed to bold) which signifies they're awaiting confirmation. My question please is this 'How or by whom are my submissions for example confirmed?'

Pete this was correct, but just recently i have noticed some seem to have stayed bold, whether this is tempory bug or not i do not know, I dont think they are waiting confirmation but just waiting to be added to the database,and just rely on the submission of the person, In my experience single POIs usually take 1-2 days to be added, but a submitted list of POIs by text file can take forever, mine still not showing after 4 weeks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additions to non-speed camera POIs (Banks, Petrol Stations etc) that I have made, have always come up grey on the map immediately, and "gone bold" after a couple of days.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked correctly for me today,Must have been another one of the many blips on the database the other day. Rolling Eyes
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the replies, I was referring to non camera POI's...no worries though...confusion can make life interesting :D
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: POI Confirmation question. Reply with quote

pete1336 wrote:
Hi all,
Before I ask my question I have to say thanks to this site for making such a POI database available to satnav users. It's fantastic and please keep up the good work, your efforts are much appreciated.
Wanting to contribute to the accuracy and detail of this database I have today submitted a few POI's for consideration. I understand they appear in faint ( as opposed to bold) which signifies they're awaiting confirmation. My question please is this 'How or by whom are my submissions for example confirmed?'
I have done a search for the answer and read several threads before posting this.
TIA,
Pete Laughing

The answer to your question is Smile

I review each submission to the POI database by looking at the details supplied and then I have to decide whether or not to accept it. Sometimes I use the internet to check the details but really I would hope that the submitters would take the trouble to check for themselves.

If you are submitting a new POI into an existing subcategory it will be held in the database as a Pending item until I action it. Pending POI have a modified version of the icon used for the Active POI and this is not always very clear on the Google map.

If the submitted POI is requesting a new Category/Subcategory then it will show as a blue pushpin on the Google Map and it will stay as a blue pushpin until I create the Category/Subcategory and an icon to go with it.

The quality of a lot of the submissions is very poor and I do my best to make sense of them. It would certainly help me if submitters made some attempt to follow the guidelines posted in the POI Forum (or even read and followed the Help text provided on the submissions page).

As the text in the Title box is used to form the name for the POI and this will be displayed by your SatNav when you select it there is no point in just repeating the Subcategory name. See the submissions guidelines for some examples.

Finally, for the moment Smile at least, I get some very odd requests for new Categories and Subcategories. I often say to myself why on earth would anyone want to navigate to that! I concentrate on activating those new subcategories that will be useful and have entries in as wide an area as possible. There seems little point in starting a new subcategory that will have just one entry for a long, long time.

You will notice most of the car dealership subcategories are now fully populated and we should give a big vote of thanks to Oldboy for this. He is now having a look at hotels Smile

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: