Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Multi mode operation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Multi mode operation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomgol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Multi mode operation Reply with quote

My job takes me to remote areas across Europe, away from the smallest of roads, where I survey routes for new pipelines. I am looking for a new GPS unit that will function in two different modes.

First I want it to offer turn by turn on road route planning to get me to my starting point for off road work. Then I want it to plot my track off road, like a bread crumb trail that I can see, and allow me to add waypoints. I also need to be able to download these tracks and WP's to mapping software on my PC. I currently use a Garmin 176C unit which does the second job very well but does not offer road route planning. I would also like a larger screen if possible.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience of units that would work in dual mode? I had considered a Garmin Street Pilot 7500 because of its large screen and good road routing but I am not sure it will allow me to plot tracks and WP's off road.

Any advice would be most welcome
Thanks
Tom
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good solution to this would be a PDA based solution. You could run TomTom 6 on the PDA for auto navigation - but coverage of remote Europe may be a bit contentious. Possibly an IGo based solution is beeter here - but I have only very limited experience of IGo.

For topological navigation you could use something like OziExplorer with home scanned maps or look for a piece of s/w that does basic GPS emulation allowing you to track-log your off-road adventures.

But - to be honest - I would stick with the GPS unit you have for the second application and invest in a GARMIN nuvi (660/360) for the road navigation. I don't go to the remote parts that you do - but I do a lot of UK hill walking and PDAs aren't up to the rugged environment - yes you can buy protective boxes - but they reduce the useability of the device in practical use. I use a GARMIN GPS60 - basic GPS for this sort of outing- very rugged and excellent battery life. I use nuvi 660 for car and used to use TT6 on AXIM PDA before that.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could take a look at one of These but very little information is known about them as yet. Also the level of non-UK maps is unknown, but it will do the on road nav and off road (thats what it was intended for). - The bigest problems will be map availability for the areas you need coverage though.

Otherwise I would go with a PDA or PDA based phone with the added protection something like an Otter Box can offer - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: