Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI Addresses
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI Addresses
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: POI Addresses Reply with quote

I have noticed that when downloading a POI file, the address data is no longer downloaded with it. Is this a deliberate change? Can someone explain when & why it happened? I found the feature useful.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, In fact I think it is a neccesary feature, especially if a POI is out of position, I think maybe some people dont put them in when submitting, perhaps one of the team will comment.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody answer this?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
especially if a POI is out of position,
Are there many out of position?

I personally take quite a bit of trouble to get the POIs to the correct address. At the very least I place them on the road that is in the Address Data.

I also use more than one source of information.

I imagine that some still use Postcode only Data. We know how accurate that can be. 8O

Historically the text is kept short, for display purposes, but if you can get the location right, then there would be no need for the address. ;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Lot, hence the need, I personally relocate due to own knowledge
If they are put in the right order then display space is not a problem for reading,
In the same vein their is no reason for not putting in the address, it can very handy sometimes for a little bit of extra effort, perhaps you will use the same reasons for telephone numbers.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually takes a lot more effort sometimes to put in extra data.

Where a telephone number is known, it is put in. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This hasn't answered my original question. I previously downloaded a POI file which included address data. I noticed that the category had been updated, so I downloaded it again. This time the address data wasn't included.

If you look at individual POIs on the map page, the address info is still present in the Details field.

Has the download process changed?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the WHOLE address gone?
I haven't re-downloaded so haven't seen this for myself, but here's the situation I was in today....
I needed a Halfords in a hurry and I have a single "DIY" category containing Homebase, Wickes, B+Q and Halfords. I know roughly where the four nearest Halfords are, but knowing the traffic at that time of day I thought my nearest would not be the best bet.
So, I looked on the TomTom and chose by address (or specifically Town name).
If the addresses have gone, how will I do something similar in future?
Will I have to enable them in Browse Map view and scroll about in the hope they show up? (experience with speed cams shows that the Go makes it own mind up as to which POI icons to show at a particular zoom level etc) It just wouldn't work...
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have the concensus of opinion:Address Yes.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Has the WHOLE address gone?
I needed a Halfords in a hurry

In the Halfords case, the addresses seem to be held in the Title field of the database so no data is lost in this circumstance.

However, if you look at B&Q for example, the Title simply contains the branch name (often the town name), while the Details field contains the precise address. Only the Title information is visible through POIEdit.
tetleyman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read the posts here about the additional details not showing in the POI's details like address, postcode and telephone number. I find they are very useful details to have if available.

Also i have just submitted about 20 POI's to this site with ALL the details included, which takes me a lot of time to find these details for each submission, should i carry on getting all the full details or not.

Regards Pete
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been checking some insitu POIs on my PDA, both pgpsw and others and come to the following conclusions:
1) lack of space for readabilty is not entirely valid, a) i can drag to right to extend full text when using navigate to if needed, but usually enough to idenfify is shown, b)when browsing map just click on POI full text displays and nothing inhibits readabilty
2) b) depends entirely on their being a suitable icon to identefy the category, i.e. I have just checked some from another source not pgpsw site and they just show the standard asterix and identified as on the A43 and nothing else(they happen to be Fast food Resteraunts)
So I am most definately in favour of as much info as possible
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that it is never possible to satisfy all of you at one time. I review the submissions and I spend a lot of time reformatting the information sent in to give you a POI name that is easy to use without a lot of tap-and-hold operations. At one time all of the discussion was about the format of the POI name, ie keeping it short and relevant to searching in unfamiliar surroundings.

You all seem to assume that the text information being sent in is of good "quality", I can assure you that it is not. To get an address is a rare event, more often than not the Title for the POI is the same as the subcategory name (and nothing more). In these cases I use the street name and try to find the town/district to include.

Here is an example submission (a good one this time tetleyman) which came with a request for a new Shopping subcategory of Peacoks

Title: Peacocks, Unit 1-9 Windmill Shopping Centre, Cape Hill, Smethwick, B66 3EN
PhoneNumber: +44121 555 8962
Details:

I could leave this as submitted, but the first part of the Title (the bit that shows when searching for a POI) would not be very useful so I edit this to

Title: Cape Hill, Smethwick
PhoneNumber: +441215558962
Details: Unit 1-9 Windmill Shopping Centre

and I have tried to avoid repeating the same text in the Title and Details. Peacocks will be the name of the POI file so it has been removed. Currently only the Title and Phone Number fields are output in the TomTom file but all of the information is output in the CSV file.

Recently I asked Lutz to remove the Details field from the OV2 file downloads as it is difficult to view it and omitting it keeps the file sizes down. Garmin units like the Nuvi have a multi-line display for the POI text and display both the Title and Details text.

Finally, I remain puzzled as to why you need the full address. If the position is wrong then can you safely assume that the address is correct? If you have used the address to position the POI then surely using it again will take you to the same spot.

Richard
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Finally, I remain puzzled as to why you need the full address. If the position is wrong then can you safely assume that the address is correct? If you have used the address to position the POI then surely using it again will take you to the same spot.

I think some commonsense has to prevail, I personally think that just the road name is adequate, but how can you presume the address is correct if you advocate not having it, surely the main purpose of having POIs is for in a strange town that you dont know the address, believe me thier are a lot of POIs that are out of location and even some without the town name, all though locations are slowly being corrected. agreed you can not satisfy everybody perhaps you should set a poll to see what the majority want.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be a continuing nightmare to keep on top of! :x

One question if I may..
Oldie wrote:
Peacocks will be the name of the POI file so it has been removed. Currently only the Title and Phone Number fields are output in the TomTom file but all of the information is output in the CSV file.

Does the name (Peacocks in this example) still get re-instated if you do a 'combined' download?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: